2022 World Cup Thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dumb tackle by Zimmerman on Bale as his back was toward the goal and was not an immediate danger to score and he should have just forced him to play back , instead he goes in for a horrible tackle. It's about time they started adding proper stoppage time minutes.

The ref was handing out yellows like candy on Halloween.

A good first 45 minutes and a typical second 45 minutes for the US.

A draw against England would be a miracle for the US. The US needs to fill the net against Iran who looked quite unorganized for most of their game. You can bet Wales is going to get at least 3 goals against Iran. I think the results of the England/Wales and England/US games will decide who comes out number two with goal differential being the deciding factor. I don't see England drawing with both Wales and the US.

The path for the US just got harder with the results today.
agree, awful challenge by Zimmerman. he panicked and got it completely wrong. I don't know why he went to ground in that situation. I don't know much about Zimmerman but that was such a let down. credit Acosta for tackling bale late otherwise it might of been 2-1.

I also thought Pulisic had a good game. he gave Wales a lot of problems and of corse they got away with blatant fouls on him that went uncalled, including bale hitting him in the face. but Pulisic squandered too many set pieces. he has to do better if he's taking that on.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
What’s up with the extra time at this World Cup ?
I’ve read an article or two stating that far less than 90 minutes is really played in a soccer game and the added stoppage time no way makes up for all the stoppages. So it’s a matter of trying to really give teams close to the real 90 minutes.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree that the extra time is something the ref did get right, there was blatant time wasting by both sides. the soft yellow cards backfired on the ref when he was scared to pull them on real yellow's late. that's why you don't pull yellow's early like that and you talk with the players. Wales were working the ref the entire first half. overall I thought it was an exciting match. I think the USA initially played a lot better than expected only to sit back for too long in the second half when they should have been playing for a 2nd goal. that is what cost them IMO. now you have to somehow get a result against England which doesn't look likely right now. but I wouldn't count them out.
Holden was nattering on about how "this is normal" for the other team to push back. I was screaming, "Yeah, but you don't just LET them!" back at the TV. What dumb commentary, a kind of "remain calm, all is well" when all is not well. Instead he should've been calling for Aaronson 10 minutes before we got him, like I was. Ugh, Berhalter.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Holden was nattering on about how "this is normal" for the other team to push back. I was screaming, "Yeah, but you don't just LET them!" back at the TV. What dumb commentary, a kind of "remain calm, all is well" when all is not well. Instead he should've been calling for Aaronson 10 minutes before we got him, like I was. Ugh, Berhalter.
yeah for sure and I have to adjust my comments some. I was watching at work live. I'm watching the replay now and the USA are actually trying to press forward a lot more than I remember. I noticed as soon as Aaronson came on for mckenie there was an instant jolt in the team. maybe as you say that's where berhalter's got it wrong. Mckenie has to give them more if he is going to start. unfortunately USA just weren't connecting in the final 3rd and aaronson held the ball a little too long on one of the opportune counter attacks.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
One thing that rally bugged me was in the second half when the US had opportunities to counter when Wales was pressing the attack to get even there was too much carry and not enough passing. The player with the ball held on to it too long and lost the advantage in the counter.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Well, that was frustrating.

I just don't see this team scoring goals against anyone

Not sure why we got Morris instead of Reyna, unless he picked up a knock in training

Acosta isn't someone I need to see out there, heads up foul but didn't bring much

I think some of the subs could have come sooner, but the biggest problem odd that the US didn't counter the Wales adjustments and legs got a little tired and then long runs wife with balls over the top stopped

This is one where they really needed a second in the 1st half

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Saudi Arabia Arabia puts 2 past Argentina..lead 2-1 in stoppage time! Every player on the Saudi’s squad plays in their domestic league, talk about an underdog.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Saudi had 3 shots 2 on target, 31% possession, 2 corner kicks (to 9 for Argentina), committed 21 fouls and were handed 6 yellow cards and won. They played a ridiculously dangerous high line that worked and caught Argentina offside 10 times and the only Argentina goal was on a PK.

Just crazy. I honestly expected a England/Iran score line.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Denmark has nothing in the attack, I expected more. Maybe it is Tunisia’s style of play, but there is no creativity.

Go Poland beat Mexico!

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Messi is cursed in the world cup.
He'll retire and then they will win dominating every game.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
One thing that rally bugged me was in the second half when the US had opportunities to counter when Wales was pressing the attack to get even there was too much carry and not enough passing. The player with the ball held on to it too long and lost the advantage in the counter.
I agree, I think aaronson had the best chance to slip one into weah which would have gone into the box with numbers in the USA favor. and he just held the ball too long and let a defender run in from behind to break it up. there were a lot of menacing runs in space that lacked the final pass. And Pulisic had a number of balls that he kicked straight into the defender closest to himself.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Messi is cursed in the world cup.
He'll retire and then they will win dominating every game.
it is crazy, Argentina were on such a terror before that game. Lewandowski as well can't buy a WC goal.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I have to give the Mexican fans credit for their spirit. What the team lacks on the pitch they make up for it in the stands. And Ochoa at goalkeeper is once again their best player. Where have we heard that before.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This has been one crazy WC so far. If England is paying attention they won't take the US for granted.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Canada really look tired now at the 80th min, but they are still playing ok.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
How about US over England? I'd take that :)
I want the usa to win so they get out of the group, but I know the England fans don't expect anything other than a win over the USA so that would be nice as well to get the upset.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson