Cardinals at Panthers gameday thread 10-2-22

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sorry and to be clear: if a team is in two high safeties -- even that deep sideline throw has risk. The hash safety moves over to intercept, or, kill the wr as he catches it

current NFL conventional wisdom is that you have to be able to run the ball to get at least one of the safeties to come down within 8 yards of the LOS

Teams don't play much 2 high vs us because Kyler's running and Kliff's horizontal raid.

The opportunity is often there to test teams deep and we aren't taking it where we were last year.

What made Kyler great early last year was his deep passing.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Isaiah Simmons needs to get traded asap.

The less snaps he has gotten, the better the defense has played.
This isn't a "call out" just thought it was funny that you said this and he got like 83% snaps vs Carolina.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Teams don't play much 2 high vs us because Kyler's running and Kliff's horizontal raid.

The opportunity is often there to test teams deep and we aren't taking it where we were last year.

What made Kyler great early last year was his deep passing to Hopkins.
DHop is the X factor that's missing from the deep passing game.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I blamed Trey McBride for messing this play up. I now think it was Beachum. it also looks like had Beachum just squared up Burns for a moment, Rondale picks up the 1st down easily and probably scores

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I blamed Trey McBride for messing this play up. I now think it was Beachum. it also looks like had Beachum just squared up Burns for a moment, Rondale picks up the 1st down easily and probably scores

Was it miscommunication between McBride and Beachum? Or was it that Beachum did not understand the play call? Looks like McBride went wide left to set the edge block but Beachum went directly forward as if the play was running forward not wide. What do you guys think?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Was it miscommunication between McBride and Beachum? Or was it that Beachum did not understand the play call? Looks like McBride went wide left to set the edge block but Beachum went directly forward as if the play was running forward not wide. What do you guys think?
That had to be Beachums man.

Kingsbury tried to get cute. Plays like that get blown up all of the time.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I think the LB that Beachum tried to block probably tackles Moore short of the first down if Beachum blocks Burns.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That had to be Beachums man.

Kingsbury tried to get cute. Plays like that get blown up all of the time.
I'm reading Bill Parcells' book right now. He tells a story in there of when he was a high school quarterback playing against a rival. They were on the goal line, and he audibled into a HB toss. The HB fumbled.

He said that his teams will never run an outside toss on the goal line ever. He told Drew Bledsoe that if the call comes in he needs to ignore it because it means Coach has lost his mind.

football karma

Reaction score
I think the LB that Beachum tried to block probably tackles Moore short of the first down if Beachum blocks Burns.
i dunno. Had Beachum blocked Burns, it seems like the lane for that LB is gone and its a foot race to the outside for Moore

also possible: plays like this sometimes count on a player like Burns to crash inside and it was designed to leave him unblocked. yikes if so

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm reading Bill Parcells' book right now. He tells a story in there of when he was a high school quarterback playing against a rival. They were on the goal line, and he audibled into a HB toss. The HB fumbled.

He said that his teams will never run an outside toss on the goal line ever. He told Drew Bledsoe that if the call comes in he needs to ignore it because it means Coach has lost his mind.
Completely agree.

Running outside running plays on 4th and short is pure lunancy.

I think that you can argue that some of the issues Kliff have could be Kyler. I doubt that play call was Kyler. Kliff just tries razzle dazzle type plays at the wrong time too often. That's my #2 gripe after overall game management.

football karma

Reaction score
Completely agree.

thats a little dogmatic, but

in must have kinda plays, i like going with your best concepts

concept 1: the Cards are paying Connor big $ to get these kinda yards, and he has generally. the team was running well.
concept 2: give your most dynamic player options: Kyler on the read, keep or pass

the Moore play run is a good 2nd and 5 or less kinda play. if it works, you might have a big play. If not, on to third down.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
thats a little dogmatic, but

in must have kinda plays, i like going with your best concepts

concept 1: the Cards are paying Connor big $ to get these kinda yards, and he has generally. the team was running well.
concept 2: give your most dynamic player options: Kyler on the read, keep or pass

the Moore play run is a good 2nd and 5 or less kinda play. if it works, you might have a big play. If not, on to third down.
I'm not necessarily saying it should be done always.

It's just that if you are doing an objective evaluation of the Cardinals right NOW, would you say this play call was the best option? The Panthers essentially had more players than blockers too...as you can see Beachum runs to block the LB/S and Burns is unblocked...but if he blocks Burns, the LB/S has a free run at Moore.

Conner is a limited player to a degree, but I agree, he is pretty good in short yardage situation. Or get Murray out on a bootleg type play. Or run some mesh concept. Lots of options better than a sweep on short and must gain situation.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm not necessarily saying it should be done always.

It's just that if you are doing an objective evaluation of the Cardinals right NOW, would you say this play call was the best option? The Panthers essentially had more players than blockers too...as you can see Beachum runs to block the LB/S and Burns is unblocked...but if he blocks Burns, the LB/S has a free run at Moore.

Conner is a limited player to a degree, but I agree, he is pretty good in short yardage situation. Or get Murray out on a bootleg type play. Or run some mesh concept. Lots of options better than a sweep on short and must gain situation.
Even a stretch run would have been better blocked...
But, in short yardage, direct hard and fast is usually best. The Dive play...the C and both guards latch onto the guy in front of them and just push the pile. As long as the D dont have 5 guys stacked over the ball 3 yds is high probability, 2 is a given, and a single yard is basically free.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Completely agree.

I think that you can argue that some of the issues Kliff have could be Kyler. I doubt that play call was Kyler. Kliff just tries razzle dazzle type plays at the wrong time too often. That's my #2 gripe after overall game management.
If it was anyone other than Rondale I'd believe it was Kyler's fault. The potential of Rondale gets Kliff caught up sometimes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree. It was just a terrible play call for the down and distance because of how many defenders were going to be in the box coming downhill.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

What's the name of that book. I need to read it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose