The Ayton Plan

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I don't post much on here but have been a Sun's fan since they started in 68 as our first Pro franchise. Man, it has been a fun ride, sometimes, and other times brutally painful. We have had great teams and many winning seasons but zero titles. We were up 2 games to none in the finals a year ago only to lose 4 straight. Then we had the best record in the NBA this year only to blow, really blow, game 7 against Dallas. Now we apparently want to blow up this team by giving up Ayton, a handful of good players, 3-4 1st round picks for a guy who is entering the twilight of his career and may miss half the season with injuries. I personally do not have another 54 years to wait. We have a good team, maybe a great team, let's make another run at it before blowing up this team. Maybe I am being selfish and would feel differently if I were decades younger. We are closer than we think.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Undoubtedly, Ayton is a giant enigma. But stay or leave, I am far less concerned by him than by the very likely outcome of Suns management once again bungling this whole situation... which will very likely be what happens.

I mean, maybe James Jones pulls a rabbit out of a hat and turns this whole thing into a net positive for the Suns future, but I think that is probably a pipe dream.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
That's not accurate.

The first game that CP was out, Ayton only scored 6 points but we were minus our backup PG too. The first time Paul and Booker were both out, he was held to 8 points. And then, when Payne was out again after being back several games, Ayton again was held below his average, scoring just 12 points. But the rest of the games that Chris was out, Ayton went for 20, 23, 18, 30, 21, 19, 16, 23, 18, 23, 20 and 35. With excellent efficiency. While CP was out DA shot 133 for 198. Can't beat that.
I would like to see the +/- against the opposition centers. There seems to be some really big games by journeyman centers. The New Orleans Center punked him, and as stated the Mavs didnt even bother playing one

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I don't post much on here but have been a Sun's fan since they started in 68 as our first Pro franchise. Man, it has been a fun ride, sometimes, and other times brutally painful. We have had great teams and many winning seasons but zero titles. We were up 2 games to none in the finals a year ago only to lose 4 straight. Then we had the best record in the NBA this year only to blow, really blow, game 7 against Dallas. Now we apparently want to blow up this team by giving up Ayton, a handful of good players, 3-4 1st round picks for a guy who is entering the twilight of his career and may miss half the season with injuries. I personally do not have another 54 years to wait. We have a good team, maybe a great team, let's make another run at it before blowing up this team. Maybe I am being selfish and would feel differently if I were decades younger. We are closer than we think.
Running it back with everyone that included maxing DA was never an option. The team would not go that far into luxury tax and would have at least traded away Cam Johnson who will be paid. I do believe that they would suck up the tax with a shot with Durant. He is elite even with the risk of injury and would probably drive a sufficient amount of revenue if on team to help subsidies the cost. Who cares how "old" DA is, fact is his production can me replaced for less than 1/3 of what he is demanding in compensation. He is not the 20 & 10 that people keep posting on here

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If you didn’t want Myles Turner before your really not gonna want him now.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Running it back with everyone that included maxing DA was never an option. The team would not go that far into luxury tax and would have at least traded away Cam Johnson who will be paid. I do believe that they would suck up the tax with a shot with Durant. He is elite even with the risk of injury and would probably drive a sufficient amount of revenue if on team to help subsidies the cost. Who cares how "old" DA is, fact is his production can me replaced for less than 1/3 of what he is demanding in compensation. He is not the 20 & 10 that people keep posting on here
I agree totally with your sentiment here that Cam J was never gonna get paid to stay (unfortunately due to Sarver cheapness). I take exception to the part that DA can be replaced with someone 1/3 of his future salary. No, at ~$11 million/year you are are not going to get a solid rebounder/scorer/defensive big. Maybe at $20 million. maybe. (Stix at $7million would be a nice start). But watching Ayton fumble passes down low, not try very hard on offensive rebounds, not take advantage of smaller defenders, take games off gets old really quick. I am for keeping Ayton for now, mainly to get back equal value in a future trade. But if he's traded this Summer, I want an excellent young player in return or a couple solid players back on good contracts or get Durant without giving up too much. Otherwise just say no.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TLDR what’d they say?

They had someone on who covered the pacers.

He’s not good in the pick and roll, no jumper and doesn’t set good screens. Doesn’t use his body down low, would rather be on the outside. Doesn’t always roll hard to the basket. He sounds like everything Suns fans hate about Ayton he’s a finesse guy. His 3 point shot has kind of gone away

On defense he’s a great rim protector but struggles switching

Then there’s the injuries.

Reactions: TJ

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I really hope the Suns are not going to let the Pacers just give him an offer sheet.

If they have to match it, our chances at Durant plummet. But they would have to match it. Better not let it get to that point.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They had someone on who covered the pacers.

He’s not good in the pick and roll, no jumper and doesn’t set good screens. Doesn’t use his body down low, would rather be on the outside. Doesn’t always roll hard to the basket. He sounds like everything Suns fans hate about Ayton he’s a finesse guy. His 3 point shot has kind of gone away

On defense he’s a great rim protector but struggles switching

Then there’s the injuries.
Gambo has repeatedly said Suns do not want Turner.

With that said It does seem pretty likely he would be in any sign and trade from them.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I really hope the Suns are not going to let the Pacers just give him an offer sheet.

If they have to match it, our chances at Durant plummet. But they would have to match it. Better not let it get to that point.

I think it’s clear the Nets aren’t going to move KD. If I’m the nets in not moving him either.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it’s clear the Nets aren’t going to move KD. If I’m the nets in not moving him either.
Well vegas still disagrees with you on that one.

They 100% will trade him, it's just a question of when.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everything is clear as mud, including where Ayton, Bridges, CamJ and Durant play this season. My guess, we match or re-sign Ayton, keep Bridges, re-sign CamJ and make a midseason move for Durant.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think everything is clear as mud, including where Ayton, Bridges, CamJ and Durant play this season. My guess, we match or re-sign Ayton, keep Bridges, re-sign CamJ and make a midseason move for Durant.
This does seem increasingly likely.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

KD has 4 years left they aren’t in any rush. They’ll sit back and wait. I agree.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns move on from Ayton, I hope it's a sign-and-trade where the Suns get value in return. It may not be directly related to a trade for Durant but rather as a move to add assets.

Also it could be a multi-team trade where several teams get players and picks in return.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bleecher report put out the same comment from Windhorst. No mention of a 3 way deal. I fully expect to us get worked for Ayton and get very little in return.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I could see this. Unfortunately it seems like the early season could be a Rocky locker room if Ayton is still angry. And the longer that goes with a blockbuster deal getting done, the more the likelihood of consummation fades. How many rumored summer deals can you recall getting consummated months later? Admittedly I haven’t wracked my brain on that one, so maybe it’s not uncommon, just doesn’t seem all that likely.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like a sign-and-trade is the most likely outcome. I hope it's a larger trade than Ayton for Turner.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like a sign-and-trade is the most likely outcome. I hope it's a larger trade than Ayton for Turner.

It is what it is I guess. Ayton's trade value has been a huge disappointment. I am still holding out hope for a 3 way trade but it doesn't appear likely at all. I guess Miles Turner and likely some throw in is Ayton's value. Disappointing but it looks like it's happening. He should be worth more than that. Now it appears for the Suns to shore up other spots it's either going to have to be part of a KD trade or the Suns have to move other pieces. I think they still need a backup PG.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson