The Ayton Plan

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The irony is the majority of posters would prefer keeping Ayton, so I’d say most posters do know what they have but have become realistic about what’s likely to happen.

Absolutely. I am very forward with his flaws but his strengths far outweigh those flaws.

I can't believe we aren't getting flooded with offers. He is the best under 25 center in the game and the 4th best under 30. You are buying prime growth years on a 4 year deal.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sabonis is not on the Pacers, he was traded for Halliburton.

To me it's Turner and at least 3 unprotected 1sts and filler

or Turner and Halliburton

Anything less and I would not do a deal.

Your kidding me he’s not

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I wonder of theres any surprise trades for Ayton out there we will be blindsided by.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly the best play for Durant is to report and completely not try.

Like literally not run back on D and completely go through the motions. He will be benched but they will still have to pay him.

At that point the only thing that makes sense is to trade him.

You may say that would be dispicable, and it might, but it's not like he has a very good reputation as it is.
Then the Nets should start him, and immediately sit him on the bench for the rest of the game the first time Durant does this. Let him average 2 points, 1 rebound and maybe an assist per game for the entire season and see what that does for his legacy.

Neither scenario will happen though. More likely he'll need to rest his hamstring all season or until he's traded.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely. I am very forward with his flaws but his strengths far outweigh those flaws.

I can't believe we aren't getting flooded with offers. He is the best under 25 center in the game and the 4th best under 30. You are buying prime growth years on a 4 year deal.

RFA sign and trades come with a lot of rules and red tape

A team had to have cap space to sign him. Your taking on 30 million but the Suns could only take back 19 million. Ayton can’t be combined with any other players.

It’s not that teams don’t want him it’s that only 2 or 3 are even in position to get him. The system is designed for teams to be able to keep there players.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude… we are not getting 3 first round picks, much less 3 first round unprotected picks for DA.

That is just not realistic at all.
Why is it not realistic? We'd be taking on the last year of a contract, not some valued player. I'd imagine the earliest pick would be well protected but I could see them sending 1 or more of the later picks unprotected.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The irony is the majority of posters would prefer keeping Ayton, so I’d say most posters do know what they have but have become realistic about what’s likely to happen.
I would rather keep him at this point. I was OK with a 3 way trade provided it could shore up two other weaknesses on this team. I think most people agreed that the Suns were going to come up short on most of the direct trade scenarios.

If this goes down? The Suns MUST GET KD. I mean must. If you remove Ayton from this team and don't get KD? This offseason will be a complete disaster.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We might be, we wouldn't know. I think the only things we're hearing are either pure speculation or coming from a party that benefits by making these ideas public.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another team that could sneak in there is the Jazz with their plethora of draft picks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it not realistic? We'd be taking on the last year of a contract, not some valued player. I'd imagine the earliest pick would be well protected but I could see them sending 1 or more of the later picks unprotected.
It’s not realistic because the Suns have made little bones about the fact that they don’t want him back AND the fact that there isn’t a robust trade market for him. And he’s an RFA.

I think you’re going to be sorely disappointed. I’ll be happy If we get two highly protected picks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another team that could sneak in there is the Jazz with their plethora of draft picks.
Danny Ainge isn’t trading a buttload of picks for Ayton. That defeats the point of trading Rudy and starting the retool in the first place.

Swapping Ayton for Rudy makes the Jazz worse.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny Ainge isn’t trading a buttload of picks for Ayton. That defeats the point of trading Rudy and starting the retool in the first place.

Swapping Ayton for Rudy makes the Jazz worse.

I don't expect the Jazz to trade all of their draft picks, maybe three plus Bojan Bogdanovic. They received four first round draft picks plus Kessler (a 1st round pick) in the Gobert trade.

Ayton is more than Gobert. They get to keep Mitchell.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I agree. But when virtually the entire league is saying, “that’s cool, we aren’t interested” there’s something there, no? I don’t know if it was the suspension, the comments regarding how to motivate after second contract, the lack of aggression, the de-emphasis on the importance of center play, or perhaps it’s a combination of all of the above. All we do know is that it sure doesn’t seem like the suns are not getting flooded with interest and deals for him. That’s a lot of smoke to say there’s no fire.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had that been rumored months prior? If so, that’s a good example.
For months.

Also, AD requested a trade to the Lakers Jan. 28th and didn’t get traded until that summer meaning he was just hanging around the Pelicans for three weeks before the trade deadline ended.

Even though I.T feels like forever, We’re still within two weeks of KD demanding a trade.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bracing for disappointing return for Ayton. It's not only a shame we can't get more in a direct trade but that we could not parlay a 3 way trade because of his lack of value across the league. Bottom line is the Suns are not alone by a long shot thinking Ayton is not a max player.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't expect the Jazz to trade all of their draft picks, maybe three plus Bojan Bogdanovic. They received four first round draft picks plus Kessler (a 1st round pick) in the Gobert trade.

Ayton is more than Gobert.
3 first round picks AND Bogdanovich? I just don’t understand some of you guys.

Also, Ayton is no more than Gobert by literally ANY metric other than slightly better scoring average last year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not realistic because the Suns have made little bones about the fact that they don’t want him back AND the fact that there isn’t a robust trade market for him. And he’s an RFA.

I think you’re going to be sorely disappointed. I’ll be happy If we get two highly protected picks.
Where have they done this? I mean, actually done this not rumored to have done this?

I have no idea what DA's value is out there but I don't see why 3 picks would be unrealistic return if we had to take Turner's contract at the same time. As far as I'm concerned, he's a negative return.

And yes, I will be sorely disappointed if we lose Ayton for Turner and picks, any number of picks. Not surprised, as I have no idea what this Front Office is thinking. Truthfully though, I will probably be disappointed with just about any trade of Ayton.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
RFA sign and trades come with a lot of rules and red tape

A team had to have cap space to sign him. Your taking on 30 million but the Suns could only take back 19 million. Ayton can’t be combined with any other players.

It’s not that teams don’t want him it’s that only 2 or 3 are even in position to get him. The system is designed for teams to be able to keep there players.
Even with all the red tape, if teams really wanted him they could construct ways to get him. And there were teams with the space and apparent interest that pretty quickly decided “nope, not for us” and ate up that space with other transactions - none of which were impressive enough to have passed on a stud if they believed Ayton was an available stud.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson