The Ayton Plan

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
  • xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
  • Ayton's most realistic landing spots outside of Phoenix appear to be Atlanta, Detroit and Toronto, which all would present intriguing sign-and-trade opportunities for the Suns. League personnel have also whispered in recent days about a potential sign-and-trade of Ayton to Indiana for Myles Turner. Turner and Ayton share the same representation.

From our friend Jake Fischer again…

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  • Ayton's most realistic landing spots outside of Phoenix appear to be Atlanta, Detroit and Toronto, which all would present intriguing sign-and-trade opportunities for the Suns. League personnel have also whispered in recent days about a potential sign-and-trade of Ayton to Indiana for Myles Turner. Turner and Ayton share the same representation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If it's not a 3 team deal, I expect the Suns to get worse in the offseason. Not good. Dallas is better. Teams will make moves. The skeptic in me feels like the Suns are just trying to move money around verses improve the roster.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If it's not a 3 team deal, I expect the Suns to get worse in the offseason. Not good. Dallas is better. Teams will make moves. The skeptic in me feels like the Suns are just trying to move money around verses improve the roster.
If all we do is replace Ayton with Turner I still think we’re better than Dallas (I think we’ll do more). However I see Golden St cashing in an asset to improve their front court. The dark horse are the Clippers.

I understand the need for everyone to **** on CP3 but he was 2nd team all nba and arguably a top-3 player in the playoffs until his annual meltdown/injury/sickness.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cross potential HOU deal off, Wood going to DAL for some chewing gum, a couple of rubber bands and a ball of lint. DAL has rebounded nicely from the Porzingis faux pas.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all we do is replace Ayton with Turner I still think we’re better than Dallas (I think we’ll do more). However I see Golden St cashing in an asset to improve their front court. The dark horse are the Clippers.

I understand the need for everyone to **** on CP3 but he was 2nd team all nba and arguably a top-3 player in the playoffs until his annual meltdown/injury/sickness.
No way. Not after their recent trade. You had a much better case before the Mavs trade and swapping Turner for Ayton doesn't make us a better roster even before the Mavs trade. Ayton is a better scorer and rebounder being a 3rd option at best on this team. Those two players straight up is a downgrade IMO. Other parts of a trade would have to boost our roster for it to be better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns have to get more than Myles Turner if the Suns do a sign and trade with Ayton. They minimally need draft picks.

Also there has to be an agreement to re-sign Turner.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have to get more than Myles Turner if the Suns do a sign and trade with Ayton. They minimally need draft picks.

Also there has to be an agreement to re-sign Turner.
The highlighted part is what I am saying as well. Straight up this downgrades the roster not improves it. Even with draft picks it downgrades is unless you win the lotto in the draft and get lucky. Even then that person isn't likely to contribute immediately.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Choosing to pay the oft injured, older and not as good Turner would be just an incredible stroke of stupidity.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That’s the feeling I’m getting

Pelicans will be better, clippers will be better, Denver will be better, the Mavs will be better, the Grizz will be better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The highlighted part is what I am saying as well. Straight up this downgrades the roster not improves it. Even with draft picks it downgrades is unless you win the lotto in the draft and get lucky. Even then that person isn't likely to contribute immediately.

It's hard to find an equitable sign and trade for Ayton. Quite likely it doesn't exist.

If it's not already similar to the Joe Johnson situation, the Suns should keep Ayton. They can always trade him for pennies on the dollar down the road if need be.

Involving a third or fourth team likely improves the outcome.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to find an equitable sign and trade for Ayton. Quite likely it doesn't exist.

If it's not already similar to the Joe Johnson situation, the Suns should keep Ayton. They can always trade him for pennies on the dollar down the road if need be.

Involving a third or fourth team likely improves the outcome.
Not in a two-way trade. It rarely happens. The Suns will have to find multiple partners. I have seen no two-way trade proposals so far that would result in the Suns having a better team next year. If that is the case, the Suns are better off keeping Ayton but even that won't be enough IMO. The Suns will not come out of the West next year if they keep Ayton or if they trade him for lesser pieces. If that is the approach? This run is done.

Bottom line is the Suns need a better roster to have a legit shot next year IMO.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
  • xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

We better be getting back Halliburton and Hield to.

Turner is 12 points and 7 rebounds a game while only playing half a season these last couple of years. He’s really not that good.

I’d much rather have Capela

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in a two-way trade. It rarely happens. The Suns will have to find multiple partners. I have seen no two-way trade proposals so far that would result in the Suns having a better team next year. If that is the case, the Suns are better off keeping Ayton but even that won't be enough IMO. The Suns will not come out of the West next year if they keep Ayton or if they trade him for lesser pieces. If that is the approach? This run is done.

Bottom line is the Suns need a better roster to have a legit shot next year IMO.

Suns minimally need to come out of the summer with a point guard or combo guard, a 3/4 and a role playing starting center.

How they get there I'm not sure. It may take more than one trade.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns minimally need to come out of the summer with a point guard or combo guard, a 3/4 and a role playing starting center.

How they get there I'm not sure. It may take more than one trade.

That’s asking alot

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The skeptic in me feels like the Suns are just trying to move money around verses improve the roster.

This totally... as long as Sarver is still calling the shots, this is precisely what the Suns are doing. It will be a shell game to cut roster costs while selling it to the fanbase that they are trying to improve the team. But I fully expect any trade will involve shedding the long term cost (or potential cost) of Ayton for short term cheaper alternatives and nebulous future "assets" (draft picks) that likely will never have real value in improving the team. I have no doubt that is the blueprint as long as Sarver is here.

On the other hand, if we get rid of Sarver, there could be a much better chance to either possibly bring back Ayton, or at least convert him into legitimately useful assets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This totally... as long as Sarver is still calling the shots, this is precisely what the Suns are doing. It will be a shell game to cut roster costs while selling it to the fanbase that they are trying to improve the team. But I fully expect any trade will involve shedding the long term cost (or potential cost) of Ayton for short term cheaper alternatives and nebulous future "assets" (draft picks) that likely will never have real value in improving the team. I have no doubt that is the blueprint as long as Sarver is here.

On the other hand, if we get rid of Sarver, there could be a much better chance to either possibly bring back Ayton, or at least convert him into legitimately useful assets.

Time is ticking and the Suns will be on the clock soon. Maybe the draft will shed some light on the subject.

I think technically the Suns can't trade a future first round pick until the draft.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Time is ticking and the Suns will be on the clock soon. Maybe the draft will shed some light on the subject.

I think technically the Suns can't trade a future first round pick until the draft.

One thing, you can say is that JJ has always had a plan to approaching past offseasons and he seems to execute his plans fairly methodically. He and his team strike me as calculating. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing, you can say is that JJ has always had a plan to approaching past offseasons and he seems to execute his plans fairly methodically. He and his team strike me as calculating. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Yeah, I will give James Jones credit for that although he might ask Monty which players he will play.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I get the exact opposite vibe.

The Stix situation was a joke and this Ayton was had turned out that way to. They didn’t look ahead at all in either move

Giving money to a Shamet when you know you need to pay Cam seemed very short sighted

We will see either way this offseason is the most important in recent memory

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Suns thought Shamet would prosper here and command a contract bigger than the one the Suns gave him. It was a big miss. Paired with the butchered Stix situation and b2b trade deadline miscalculations it’s been a tough run for James Jones but as we know you can’t judge Suns’ general managers in a vacuum.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns thought Shamet would prosper here and command a contract bigger than the one the Suns gave him. It was a big miss. Paired with the butchered Stix situation and b2b trade deadline miscalculations it’s been a tough run for James Jones but as we know you can’t judge Suns’ general managers in a vacuum.

The Nets drafted Day'Ron Sharpe with the pick the Suns traded for Shamet in the 2021 draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portland reportedly plans to re-sign Nurkic so they may be out of the running in a sign and trade for Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard