The Ayton Plan

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah LITERALLY none of that is Suns Intel!
That's just restating the same **** we've been hearing since we didn't give him the max last year.
Portland was never in it. There's only 1 team that could sign him straight up and that team isn't on this list.

Take Myles Turner and shove him up yer ass how bout that Indiana. Not trading DA for a shorter 12pt and 7rb center.
I wouldn't give Cam J for Turner. Shame T maybe.

I swear by all that is holy if we mess this up and settle JUST to get rid of DA

I WILL BURN THIS CITY TO THE GROUND.
There’s the Muggz I know and love.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bill Simmons was killing us.

Comparing the Suns to the Warriors. Two completely different organizations and how the Warriors ownership has gone out of there way to win and develop home grown talent

and us cost cutting at every turn giving away young talent over and over when it comes time to pay up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill Simmons was killing us.

Comparing the Suns to the Warriors. Two completely different organizations and how the Warriors ownership has gone out of there way to win and develop home grown talent

and us cost cutting at every turn giving away young talent over and over when it comes time to pay up.

The Warriors have big pockets and do not have to worry about paying the luxury tax.

Unless there is a change in Suns ownership, they will likely never be able to compete consistently on this level.

The Suns were even unwilling to pick up the option on Jalen Smith.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Tier I: The max guys

1. Deandre Ayton, C, Phoenix (restricted): $31,406,061

Phoenix surprisingly didn’t extend Ayton before last season and seems reluctant to pay him the max after the Suns fizzled out in the playoffs. Sign-and-trading him instead could also help the Suns skip the luxury tax, both in 2022-23 and the two seasons that follow. Also, the idea of getting some added size at the forward spots is much more possible if Ayton is the trade bait.

As a result, there’s increasing chatter that Ayton may be available, in particular if a sign-and-trade scenario develops that lets Phoenix bring back talent. (A straight offer sheet would likely just be matched by the Suns, who could always turn around and trade Ayton later; they really have no outs if Ayton leaves uncompensated.) One note on a sign-and-trade: Phoenix can only bring back about $20 million in salary on one involving Ayton, even if he is paid the max, due to the so-called Base-Year Compensation rule. (The CBA stopped referring to it this way, but most folks in the league still do.)

As to the question of how much he’s worth: Even in my valuation system that devalues centers pretty strongly, the numbers suggest that Ayton is worth the bite of the apple. My eye test also suspects that he could be a more impactful scorer someplace else, with a pretty deadly mid-range game for a player of his size. Finally, Ayton will be 24 next season, so this contract should cover some of his best seasons. Going long on a deal for him could produce additional value if he keeps improving.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I keep going back and forth. He shows so much, then seems to shrink back or random guys out perform him. Or in the case a few times this year the backups don’t seem so far away in results on some nights.

We also see what most agree are “lesser” players growing and shining on other teams and wonder why ayton is still missing something.

I feel like he’s improved a lot more recently, but how much is due to the system and cp3?

There’s still not a lot of people I would rather have than him at that position, that’s probably were in the sign and trade seems risky.

I’m still slightly ahead in the re-sign him category. Run it back this year, then move on where we need to.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep going back and forth. He shows so much, then seems to shrink back or random guys out perform him. Or in the case a few times this year the backups don’t seem so far away in results on some nights.

We also see what most agree are “lesser” players growing and shining on other teams and wonder why ayton is still missing something.

I feel like he’s improved a lot more recently, but how much is due to the system and cp3?

There’s still not a lot of people I would rather have than him at that position, that’s probably were in the sign and trade seems risky.

I’m still slightly ahead in the re-sign him category. Run it back this year, then move on where we need to.

I'm not seeing how the Suns can get even a reasonable return in a sign and trade with Ayton. They should have signed him last summer and traded him this summer if they must. I'm for the Suns keeping Ayton and looking at options down the road if it doesn't work out.

It's become obvious to me, developing players is not the Suns strong point. Instead of embracing and improving the weakness they find it easier to move on.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
so, unless we change our perspective and start getting excited about salary and luxury tax savings there's not much to look forward to next season and beyond?

TJ

Reaction score
so, unless we change our perspective and start getting excited about salary and luxury tax savings there's not much to look forward to next season and beyond?
Next season, The Suns will be an entry-level playoff team without Ayton and with a depreciating CP3. After CP3 expires literally and figuratively, it’s back to darkness

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I think Philly HAD to resign Harden since they traded for him. Giving up Simmons for nothing would have been a bad look for the sixers FO

Keep the goofy kid.

I can't remember anyone wanting to do a sign-and-trade with Ayton so I think we are all united on that front.
Can you imagine if the Lakers, Warriors, Boston, Bucks, or the Spurs were giving up on a player with Ayton's talent & potential so quickly? And to be willing to expect a low or unequal value in a trade return? I can't. The Suns need to decide what they want to do going forward with due diligence. Ayton has improved every year he has been in the league. Suns need to act like a contenting NBA team and not like a desperate lowly cellar dweller.

Last edited:

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
The Warriors have big pockets and do not have to worry about paying the luxury tax.

Unless there is a change in Suns ownership, they will likely never be able to compete consistently on this level.

The Suns were even unwilling to pick up the option on Jalen Smith.
Or the fact that the Suns didn't have the foresight to see any potential in Jaden Smith. But one thing is for sure Indiana likes to do business with the Suns. Jaden Smith, TJ Warren although he wasn't a big score for Indiana they thought the Suns were joking when they offer TJ Warren for nothing.
Now if Indiana can get Ayton they would have a pipe line and Indiana will just try not to laugh as they negotiate any future deals with the Suns.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or the fact that the Suns didn't have the foresight to see any potential in Jaden Smith. But one thing is for sure Indiana likes to do business with the Suns. Jaden Smith, TJ Warren although he wasn't a big score for Indiana they thought the Suns were joking when they offer TJ Warren for nothing.
Now if Indiana can get Ayton they would have a pipe line and Indiana will just try not to laugh as they negotiate any future deals with the Suns.

It looked like TJ Warren was going to blossom into a very good player a couple of seasons back. The Suns even gave up an early second round pick for them to take him. Luckily the trade ended up working out in the Suns favor.

Now if the Suns trade the Pacers Ayton in addition to Stix, the Suns are going resemble a farm team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Updated odds where Ayton plays next season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not seeing how the Suns can get even a reasonable return in a sign and trade with Ayton. They should have signed him last summer and traded him this summer if they must. I'm for the Suns keeping Ayton and looking at options down the road if it doesn't work out.

It's become obvious to me, developing players is not the Suns strong point. Instead of embracing and improving the weakness they find it easier to move on.
The flaw seems to be the Suns organization don't want to help develop their own prospects. If a player has a weakness help him work on it and develop into a better player. Say if Ayton has trouble catching passes get him in the gym repeatedly catching passes til it's automatic. Practicing correctly makes perfect!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The flaw seems to be the Suns organization don't want to help develop their own prospects. If a player has a weakness help him work on it and develop into a better player. Say if Ayton has trouble catching passes get him in the gym repeatedly catching passes til it's automatic. Practicing correctly makes perfect!

It would be nice if we had a G league team so we could send prospect down to help them develop like Ish or Iffe

Oh wait the owner sold it

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another Solar Panel podcast about Deandre Ayton and some other stuff.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would put money on the Spurs, Pacers or Hornets.
Well, then, I'd put money on it being anyone else. I think the Suns have as good a chance as any team presuming they want to keep him. Throw in the rest of the field and I think you'd lose your bet there. That's if I were a betting man, and I'd wager I'm not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would put money on the Spurs, Pacers or Hornets.

It sure feels like Ayton is leaving in a sign and trade although that would be a mistake.

The Hornets can't trade Miles Bridges because he is a RFA so that option is not looking so good although the Suns reportedly were once interested in Terry Rozier.

I'd want Haliburton from the Pacers but they are unlikely to trade him so soon. I have this gut feeling it could be Myles Turner because Ayton has the same agent.

The Spurs might be able to offer the best package but the Suns may not want to deal within the conference.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sure feels like Ayton is leaving in a sign and trade although that would be a mistake.

The Hornets can't trade Miles Bridges because he is a RFA so that option is not looking so good although the Suns reportedly were once interested in Terry Rozier.

I'd want Haliburton from the Pacers but they are unlikely to trade him so soon. I have this gut feeling it could be Myles Turner because Ayton has the same agent.

The Spurs might be able to offer the best package but the Suns may not want to deal within the conference.
To me, it just makes no sense to sell Ayton on the cheap as we'd be forced to do in order to move him now. So, if we move him, I believe it will be for another reason. Maybe something like reducing salaries before selling the team to a new ownership group? And if that's the case, I don't think Sarver will care one bit where he sends him, it will be for the best financial deal for the organization.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, it just makes no sense to sell Ayton on the cheap as we'd be forced to do in order to move him now. So, if we move him, I believe it will be for another reason. Maybe something like reducing salaries before selling the team to a new ownership group? And if that's the case, I don't think Sarver will care one bit where he sends him, it will be for the best financial deal for the organization.

We agree a sign and trade with Ayton is a bad decision for the team.

I've thought about how Jerry Colangelo reduced payroll before he sold the team as well so this might be what is happening. If it is, the Suns might want to get a low salary young player and as many draft picks as possible to make more deals both now and in the future.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
One of the things I find no one talks about, is if we do trade Ayton, perhaps our offense changes from high pick and roll, to another style. Basically because we have Ayton, and need to involve him in the offense, and Ayton couldn't initiate his own offense, we utilized the high pick and roll. It would potentially open the middle of the floor for more cuts and dives to the basket if we did not have to high pick and roll. Guys could drive more to the open key. Maybe addition by subtraction? Especially if we got a big who wanted to shoot threes more, than needing mid range shots and dunks?

TJ

Reaction score
Well, then, I'd put money on it being anyone else. I think the Suns have as good a chance as any team presuming they want to keep him. Throw in the rest of the field and I think you'd lose your bet there. That's if I were a betting man, and I'd wager I'm not.

People near the Suns are saying that Ayton’s going to be made available

People with league sources are expecting Ayton to be available

People near Ayton say he wants out

Unless this is some elaborate smokescreen, it’s so hard to see a situation in which he comes back to the Suns. I’m clearly guessing as to where he ends up, but it’s not PHoenix.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People near the Suns are saying that Ayton’s going to be made available

People with league sources are expecting Ayton to be available

People near Ayton say he wants out

Unless this is some elaborate smokescreen, it’s so hard to see a situation in which he comes back to the Suns. I’m clearly guessing as to where he ends up, but it’s not PHoenix.
Yeah but it's all "people". And once the story starts, it gets picked up and amplified by every single NBA reporter whether they have a real source or not. I believe he's available for the right offer but I don't believe we intend to move him. We can still offer him more than any other team and we still have control. It makes no sense we'd give up that control unless some other team is willing to give us full value. And none of the "rumored" deals come anywhere close to full value.

I can't tell you how many times I've these type of stories and in the end it turns out to be just smoke. I'm not saying it will definitely be the same this time but it happened with Bledsoe at least 4 different times (at various trade deadlines) before it actually turned out to be a real thing. Agents start rumors, insiders throughout the league help these agents because it might help them in the future. Every now and then, the rumors turn out to be true but they are all deniable and quickly forgotten the moment the deadline passes.

There may be a legitimate reason to move DA, from the outside looking in I just can't see it. But if you believe in this kid IMO that removes a lot of the possibilities here. If he were a head case or unwilling to be coached or dealing with a major addiction or anything like that, I think we'd have heard something. Failing that, he's played well enough to justify a max extension on his rookie contract. If it were his next contract, I could see a team unwilling to gamble on him getting better but at his age, with his floor, it makes no sense to me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson