2022 2nd round pick is TE Trey McBride

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NFL Network had a long segment on McBride yesterday on Path to the Draft. They talked about him being the first player with same sex parents and showed his draft day video. It was pretty good. I wish I could find it to link. Maybe it takes NFL Network a couple days to post these online.
This?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think it is crazy either. It is coach speak. What are they going to say, 'We just signed your replacement right after we re-signed Ertz?'
I think the Cardinals did a lot of self scouting after last year's end of season debacle and they realized they need to run a lot more 12 personnel.

And Maxx might not be ready early, if he at all. I love Maxx Williams but that dude has had a significant injury history.

So the Cardinals stacked their board with TE being a higher priority than in the past. We know how Keim stacks his board because in the past he has essentially said the Cardinals take a "Best player available at position of need" approach.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals did a lot of self scouting after last year's end of season debacle and they realized they need to run a lot more 12 personnel.

And Maxx might not be ready early, if he at all. I love Maxx Williams but that dude has had a significant injury history.

So the Cardinals stacked their board with TE being a higher priority than in the past. We know how Keim stacks his board because in the past he has essentially said the Cardinals take a "Best player available at position of need" approach.
I agree with all of what you said. Not sure I agree with what the Cards said. He is clearly a better catching TE at this stage than blocking.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree with all of what you said. Not sure I agree with what the Cards said. He is clearly a better catching TE at this stage than blocking.
Most scouting reports I've read have said he's a pretty good blocker and he has the want to be good.

Ertz was a pretty bad blocker last year, so I'm certain that rookie McBride would be better than him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most scouting reports I've read have said he's a pretty good blocker and he has the want to be good.

Ertz was a pretty bad blocker last year, so I'm certain that rookie McBride would be better than him.
I have seen him play a couple of times. He is no slouch in blocking, but it isn't where he excels.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the small minority who still don't understand the McBride pick for this team. Not with Ertz just signing a big contract.

Outside of Gronk/Hernandez, how many tight end tandems have been successful? I guess Olsen/Shockey for a season or 2, but they didn't have receivers like Hopkins and Brown. I mean, the Eagles tried to do the same thing with one of the same players, and all it really did was hold back Goedert.

I also don't feel he was some kind of unquestionable BPA. He seems solid, but only scoring 1 TD last season still seems like somewhat of a red flag. Keim compared McBride to Austin Hooper in the Flight Plan video. Spending a second round pick on a guy who likely won't start for 3 years and could be the next Austin Hooper just doesn't seem like a good use of draft capital to me.

I actually liked a lot of Keim's picks this year. This wasn't one of them.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm in the small minority who still don't understand the McBride pick for this team. Not with Ertz just signing a big contract.

Outside of Gronk/Hernandez, how many tight end tandems have been successful? I guess Olsen/Shockey for a season or 2, but they didn't have receivers like Hopkins and Brown. I mean, the Eagles tried to do the same thing with one of the same players, and all it really did was hold back Goedert.

I also don't feel he was some kind of unquestionable BPA. He seems solid, but only scoring 1 TD last season still seems like somewhat of a red flag.
Did you watch his tape? LOL
Keim compared McBride to Austin Hooper in the Flight Plan video. Spending a second round pick on a guy who likely won't start for 3 years and could be the next Austin Hooper just doesn't seem like a good use of draft capital to me.
Who was better available?
I like McBride better than 90% of Keim's picks. Is McBride better than Daniels? Absolutely.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When you project McBride as a tall physical WR who can block, the move makes sense in the absence of D-Hop for half a season.
It can be difficult for rookie wrs to make the transition in terms of running NFL routes. Its wild to expect him to contribute on the outside. However, even the Cardinals made that case in Flight Plan. Although Keim compared him to Austin Hooper so eh..

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It can be difficult for rookie wrs to make the transition in terms of running NFL routes. Its wild to expect him to contribute on the outside. However, even the Cardinals made that case in Flight Plan. Although Keim compared him to Austin Hooper so eh..
I was saying this to my brother, but GMs don't break down tape like scouts do. That's why Keim doesn't seem to know the prospects that well.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I also don't feel he was some kind of unquestionable BPA. He seems solid, but only scoring 1 TD last season still seems like somewhat of a red flag. Keim compared McBride to Austin Hooper in the Flight Plan video. Spending a second round pick on a guy who likely won't start for 3 years and could be the next Austin Hooper just doesn't seem like a good use of draft capital to me.

Why did the Eagles draft Goedert in round 2 when they had peak Ertz?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think this will end up being a great pick (injuries aside). Utilizing TE's could really be the secret to the offense. We sorta tried the air raid and this and that. We need some consistency. Too many stalling drives that bank on big plays (but also having big play potential at any moment is crucial).

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

He’s a work in progress when it comes to blocking. He certainly exhibits the effort and positioning for success but needs more strength and better leverage. I think he will develop into a slightly above average blocker. He’s a fine pass catcher. He has all the tools and with some small technique improvements he could well become a Pro Bowl TE.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

He was the only real weapon CSU had. He was constantly double-teamed. In the red zone he would be chipped at the line then double covered. It was easier to go elsewhere. He’ll score TDs. He won’t be doubled up here.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was the only real weapon CSU had. He was constantly double-teamed. In the red zone he would be chipped at the line then double covered. It was easier to go elsewhere. He’ll score TDs. He won’t be doubled up here.
Yeah its pointless now
He had ton of catches/yards and he is a fast tigh end who makes contested catches
Few tds are just a casuality

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose