2022 2nd round pick is TE Trey McBride

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So many leading up to draft:

“We need to load up on weapons on the O to help Kyler”

Team is doing exactly that and the same people:

“The trade and this pick sucks”
Ha! It took a few moments, but I'm all in on this pick for this very reason. I banged the drum all offseason that the way to go was to ignore the defense and stack the offense. Barring the OL, that's exactly what we're doing.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is us definitely going all in on giving everything Kyler needs to be successful, you know minus the OL and contract. But progress!
My first reaction was "huh." Just total surprise. After hearing about the kid, my second reaction was, "he's good, but we have other needs." Then I remembered how I wanted us to stack the deck on offense, and my final reaction is "Eff yeah!"

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is still the only pick I don't fully like. I don't doubt that McBride will be a solid player, but I don't see him getting major snaps here for a couple years, and there were EDGEs and O-linemen I liked better.

Also, I understand drafting for BPA, but when only 4 O-linemen have taken in rounds 1-3 over the past 10 years, maybe it's time to start valuing O-linemen a little higher.

Reactions: PJ1
OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! It took a few moments, but I'm all in on this pick for this very reason. I banged the drum all offseason that the way to go was to ignore the defense and stack the offense. Barring the OL, that's exactly what we're doing.
About that Oline

We still need some young quality depth

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My first reaction was "huh." Just total surprise. After hearing about the kid, my second reaction was, "he's good, but we have other needs." Then I remembered how I wanted us to stack the deck on offense, and my final reaction is "Eff yeah!"
Yeah I really like the player. Watch the highlights and he's a smooth operator.

Hopkins, Brown, Moore, Green, Wesley, Ertz, Williams, McBride, Conner, Benjamin, Ward.

There are some weapons there...actually MORE than last year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is still the only pick I don't fully like. I don't doubt that McBride will be a solid player, but I don't see him getting major snaps here for a couple years, and there were EDGEs and O-linemen I liked better.

Also, I understand drafting for BPA, but when only 4 O-linemen have taken in rounds 1-3 over the past 10 years, maybe it's time to start valuing O-linemen a little higher.
I definitely get all of this. I do. Where I can understand from the Cardinals perspective is that at the end of the season when skill players started getting hurt, the offense really struggled.

This years squad promises to be deeper.

People wanted all in...this is an all in move, but a smart all in move that can benefit the team in the future as well.

Young OL often aren't good in there first few seasons anyway.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
a fun draft exercise is to go back to lets say the 2017 or 2018 drafts

so many of those guys just dont work out

its why i dont get hung up on the idea that the team doesnt need that position

id rather the team find a guy that can play at a luxury position than draft one at a need that cant

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are only so many picks. I have yet to see an individual player that can play every position DL, Edge, LB , CB, OL, RB, WR. When you see that person let me know
It should take first priority especially the way we got slaughtered in the playoffs

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right...he can play in a rotational, package based role. And he is probably being viewed as Ertz's heir apparent.
I’m sure you were using that as a reason(bad) to draft him over iOL.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. Did we earn a participation trophy?

My brother, I don't think my bitterness over last year's horrendous collapse approaches the depth of yours, but I'm attempting to let it go. It's spring, life starts anew. Birds are singing, flowers are blooming. The draft is behind us, training camp will soon be here. If only for a fleeting moment, let us rejoice!

:koolaid:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL short memories of how the season ended.

It didn't end because of a lack of OL talent, it ended because Wesley and Darrell Daniels were on the field too much.
I really thought you were much better than this years ago.

OmahaCardsFan

Veteran
Reaction score
McBride reminds me of another guy based on this other guys profile: Last name is "Kittle" :) They have almost the exact same frame and speed. tough blockers, ballers, killer instinct and can catch the damn ball. and both were projected to have to work on their route running for the NFL. If McBride is 75% of Kittle in the NFL I'll call that an awesome pick.

Kittle...

Combine/Pro Day Results

HeightWeight40 Time3-ConeShort Shuttle
6'4"247 lbs4.52s6.76s4.07s

POSITIVES

A technician with top-level athleticism, Kittle explodes off the snap looking to bury his assignment as a blocker right through the whistle. He fits every positive Iowa stereotype, including his mindset, killer instinct and desire. Kittle can get out in front to set up screens or help runners get to the second level of the field. He displayed impressive straight-line speed at the NFL Scouting Combine with a 4.52 40-yard dash. You'll be hard-pressed to find him dropping a catchable pass on film, even though he wasn't featured in the Iowa offense that relied heavily on the ground game. Kittle's numbers weren't great in college (22 catches in 2016), but his wiring and athleticism are fantastic. He's a natural fit as an in-line tight end or even playing some H-back given his movement skills and strength. Kittle projects as a better pro than college player.

NEGATIVES

Kittle will struggle to remain as an in-line tight end at the next level due to size. He displays his best asset as a blocker, but overaggression can allow him to get beat at times. While he possesses straight-line explosiveness, he fails to be shifty in and out of routes and may need to be utilized mostly over the middle or up the seam. Ideally, Kittle can become more of a technician as a route-runner to shore up some inconsistent and sloppy routes.

PRO COMPARISON: Tyler Higbee, Los Angeles Rams

FINAL GRADE: 5.99/9.00 (Future Starter—Round 4)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McBride reminds me of another guy based on this other guys profile: Last name is "Kittle" :) They have almost the exact same frame and speed. tough blockers, ballers, killer instinct and can catch the damn ball. and both were projected to have to work on their route running for the NFL. If McBride is 75% of Kittle in the NFL I'll call that an awesome pick.

Kittle...

Combine/Pro Day Results

HeightWeight40 Time3-ConeShort Shuttle
6'4"247 lbs4.52s6.76s4.07s

POSITIVES

A technician with top-level athleticism, Kittle explodes off the snap looking to bury his assignment as a blocker right through the whistle. He fits every positive Iowa stereotype, including his mindset, killer instinct and desire. Kittle can get out in front to set up screens or help runners get to the second level of the field. He displayed impressive straight-line speed at the NFL Scouting Combine with a 4.52 40-yard dash. You'll be hard-pressed to find him dropping a catchable pass on film, even though he wasn't featured in the Iowa offense that relied heavily on the ground game. Kittle's numbers weren't great in college (22 catches in 2016), but his wiring and athleticism are fantastic. He's a natural fit as an in-line tight end or even playing some H-back given his movement skills and strength. Kittle projects as a better pro than college player.

NEGATIVES

Kittle will struggle to remain as an in-line tight end at the next level due to size. He displays his best asset as a blocker, but overaggression can allow him to get beat at times. While he possesses straight-line explosiveness, he fails to be shifty in and out of routes and may need to be utilized mostly over the middle or up the seam. Ideally, Kittle can become more of a technician as a route-runner to shore up some inconsistent and sloppy routes.

PRO COMPARISON: Tyler Higbee, Los Angeles Rams

FINAL GRADE: 5.99/9.00 (Future Starter—Round 4)

Running 4.50's at 247lb is elite.

Was joint #1 of all TE times but with 10lbs more than the other guy.