2022 2nd round pick is TE Trey McBride

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cool. Did we earn a participation trophy?
You gotta be in it, to win it. Or keep knocking at the door, and you might knock it down. 32 teams, but only 1 SB winner. Your thinking is the way Miami is thinking, if they're not going to win the SB, let's lose and help our draft position. Your entitled to think that way, but at my age, I'd rather make the playoffs.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You gotta be in it, to win it. Or keep knocking at the door, and you might knock it down. 32 teams, but only 1 SB winner. Your thinking is the way Miami is thinking, if they're not going to win the SB, let's lose and help our draft position. Your entitled to think that way, but at my age, I'd rather make the playoffs.
LOL You don't know me very well with that observation. I am win at all costs. Damn the draft picks, etc. But last season - in hindsight - I'd have taken a playoff vacation over that crap we displayed on the first-ever MNF playoff game. We backed into the playoffs unable to clinch the division or entrance to the postseason on our own after such a great start to the season. Not looking forward to more collapsing, so hopefully we right the ship this season, but no team out there should fear us until we DO SOMETHING MEANINGFUL late in the season.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother, I don't think my bitterness over last year's horrendous collapse approaches the depth of yours, but I'm attempting to let it go. It's spring, life starts anew. Birds are singing, flowers are blooming. The draft is behind us, training camp will soon be here. If only for a fleeting moment, let us rejoice!

:koolaid:
So, we're undefeated? :cool:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brian, I don't know you very well, mostly because of my faulty memory. I do remember how last year ended, and I even remember how the year started. When KM and D Hop were healthy we were pretty good. And that's something to build on, even if we all know that our two best players have to remain healthy for us to even have a chance for success.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Brian, I don't know you very well, mostly because of my faulty memory. I do remember how last year ended, and I even remember how the year started. When KM and D Hop were healthy we were pretty good. And that's something to build on, even if we all know that our two best players have to remain healthy for us to even have a chance for success.
Adding McBride is a move to give even more weapons. You could argue that if the weapons can stay healthy, the Cardinals can beat anyone.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well my initial reaction was confusion considering our needs.

That's not to say TE isn't a need. Maxx is coming off an ACL and has a long and deep injury history. Out only other TE is the guy we picked up in FA who's name I don;t need to know because he's likely to be cut now.

Maxx is FA next year too. Ertz is 31 and they must really like McBride and see him as the long term solution at TE. TE's is a tough position to transition too. The usage is very different in college to the NFL, so they really need a year to adjust.

So in isolation it does make sense.

At the time with Sam Williams, Drake Jackson, Cam Britt-Taylor, Nik Bonitto and James Cook still there I was not pleased.

Looking at how the board played out though I'd rather have Drake Jackson in round 2 and Jeremy Ruckert in round 3.

McBride reminds me of a quicker Maxx Williams (also a round 2 pick). Watch some Williams college highlights and you won't recognize the guy leaping over defenders.
Would have liked this as well. Although Sanders had a lot of hype before the combine. So hopefully he plays up to his potential.

Edit: TBH if possible I would have moved up for Jurgens. However, just going off if we weren't trading up then I probably go Jackson and then Ruckert (If they really wanted a TE). Still hopeful for the guys we drafted though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Would have liked this as well. Although Sanders had a lot of hype before the combine. So hopefully he plays up to his potential.

Edit: TBH if possible I would have moved up for Jurgens. However, just going off if we weren't trading up then I probably go Jackson and then Ruckert (If they really wanted a TE). Still hopeful for the guys we drafted though.
Heh Jurgens might be better than Linderbaum down the road. They have similar weights and Jurgens looks like he can add more and has longer arms.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back in the Coach Mac days, he’d be inclined to target certain draft prospects and draft them one round “early” (to make sure we’d get him).

Result - on a BPA basis, we were always one round less talented in stocking our roster. A BPA strategy makes sure we protect the team’s overall level of talent.

Note - I believe it was SK who confessed that the Cards built in “position-fit” as part of their BPA ratings for each player.

My point - when stacking boards, while “need“should be a factor in determining BPA, it shouldn’t replace BPA.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries. We both want the same thing - our team to be successful.:cool:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It should take first priority especially the way we got slaughtered in the playoffs
But one cannot make the draft what it is not, meaning drafting a OL just because you need one if they are not up to par in your mind is a bigger waste because you are filling a need with a variable which actually makes the problem last longer since you then tell yourself you fixed the problem when you did not. I was upset at the TE selection, but then simmered down realizing we probably just got a stud TE over maybe more of what we might have already on the OL. The draft really does come to you, unless you move up to take a guy and the Cards felt no player on the OL or DL warranted that

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Depth cost us dearly last year and this gives up one of the best TE rooms in the league.

I still the edge makes more sense but I can see the reasoning.
Most likely true and as a Cardinal fan that is going to take some getting used to since being a kid and watching Novacek and Awalt lol

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fwiw, my cousin lives in Fort Collins and his wife works at CSU.. Of course they're homers so they said he's a man among boys and they're bummed the Broncos didn't get him. Dear lord, could my beloved Redbirds finally have a TE?? I'm hopeful.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was out of town so I didn't see the pick when it happened. After watching highlights i'm actually quite impressed, especially with D Hop suspended. If you watch the highlights their QB's seemed pretty crappy, one of them has a really weird shotput type motion and the other does a big windup before throwing so his arm strength is neutralized by the long release. Admitted not against elite competition but the guy is just wide open all the time, seems to have good hands and run good routes. He actually reminds you a bit of a young Ertz who was one of those always open guys(still is).

He runs well after the catch too. Again lower competition the NFL will be a jump for him but with Maxx possibly not ready by season opener and D Hop suspended I can see us in 2 TE sets with him and Ertz.

He does NOT appear to be much of a blocker yet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was out of town so I didn't see the pick when it happened. After watching highlights i'm actually quite impressed, especially with D Hop suspended. If you watch the highlights their QB's seemed pretty crappy, one of them has a really weird shotput type motion and the other does a big windup before throwing so his arm strength is neutralized by the long release. Admitted not against elite competition but the guy is just wide open all the time, seems to have good hands and run good routes. He actually reminds you a bit of a young Ertz who was one of those always open guys(still is).
Yeah you could see on the highlights how often he was open and it took another second for the ball to get there. Definitely limited his YAC capability.
He runs well after the catch too. Again lower competition the NFL will be a jump for him but with Maxx possibly not ready by season opener and D Hop suspended I can see us in 2 TE sets with him and Ertz.

He does NOT appear to be much of a blocker yet.
They showed some other highlights of him blocking and he looked pretty decent. He definitely wants to be good as a blocker.

I think sometimes fans underestimate how much college players can grow and get better their first 2-3 years.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think that's fully crazy. Maxx was viewed as a real good blocker who could blossom into a receiving threat when he was coming out.

Ertz is a well below average blocker.

Maxx was a good receiver in college. He didn't go round 2 for blocking.

I said when we drafted McBride that he reminded me of college Maxx. Just a bit faster. Same height. Weight. Same broad. Same bench. Similar vert.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maxx was a good receiver in college. He didn't go round 2 for blocking.

I said when we drafted McBride that he reminded me of college Maxx. Just a bit faster. Same height. Weight. Same broad. Same bench. Similar vert.
Eh in 12 games he had like 36 catches. You don't draft a TE in the second round if you think that's what he will produce in the pros.

McBride is way more developed and experienced as a receiver. His highlight tapes showed that he excelled despite pitiful QB play.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
NFL Network had a long segment on McBride yesterday on Path to the Draft. They talked about him being the first player with same sex parents and showed his draft day video. It was pretty good. I wish I could find it to link. Maybe it takes NFL Network a couple days to post these online.