RB Conner re-signs with Cards

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The problem was that our coach significantly overworked him in the Seattle game and got him hurt, which is why he barely played in the playoff game. Doesn't get talked about but with Conner healthy it's likely an entirely different game plan and outcome (not saying we would win but the score would have been better).
He had 15 rushes and 21 touches. That's average RB work, bro. Eno Benjamin in that game had 7 rushes and 11 total touches.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He had 15 rushes and 21 touches. That's average RB work, bro. Eno Benjamin in that game had 7 rushes and 11 total touches.

He shouldn't have seen average RB work in a basically meaningless game. And he left injured so he would have received more volume. We suck at home so there was no need to go all out for a home playoff game. Eno and Ward should have had all the work.

And this isn't 20/20 hindsight either.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220330-100040_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220330-100040_Chrome.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 7

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He shouldn't have seen average RB work in a basically meaningless game. And he left injured so he would have received more volume. We suck at home so there was no need to go all out for a home playoff game. Eno and Ward should have had all the work.

And this isn't 20/20 hindsight either.
He had 2 TDs in that game, and it was in a maelstrom of ineptitude we were trying to pull out from.

I don't want to relitigate the question of whether having a home playoff game is good. Based on the results of our ROAD playoff game, it couldn't have been much worse.

James Conner isn't/wasn't the centerpiece of our offense and there's nothing special about him. Please post in advance all the players we should place in bubble wrap until the highest-leverage situations.

Kyler
DHop
Baker
Ertz
M. Williams
Watt
Conner (apparently)

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Rewriting history so soon. I mean damn it James Conner earned More! So it’s a bargain. he didn’t start, and made the pro bowl for crying out loud. No Conner no playoffs it is that simple. Look at the games started if folks forget that quick. -athletic is total of like 300 runs to 500 passes.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There’s always a concern when you’re paying for intangibles. I agree with this signing. This is one of those times I don’t believe you can rate a player solely based on numbers. He made the players around him better and I think he was a must retain.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
There’s always a concern when you’re paying for intangibles. I agree with this signing. This is one of those times I don’t believe you can rate a player solely based on numbers. He made the players around him better and I think he was a must retain.
Agreed

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It's not a terrible idea to defer some money to 2023 if it isn't a crazy number. The Cardinals have a metric buttload of cap space in 2023.
Ok...

A) Can you please quantify a buttload?
B) Are you sure it's metric? This isn't the CFL, however if the team doesn't get better they may be relegated to that league.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ok...

A) Can you please quantify a buttload?
B) Are you sure it's metric? This isn't the CFL, however if the team doesn't get better they may be relegated to that league.
It's not quite known, but estimates have gone as high as $100 million.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's not quite known, but estimates have gone as high as $100 million.
That is not a good thing, though, this team having a ton of cap space, right? You keep pointing out that they don't have the cash to shell out big contracts and shouldn't spend a lot in FA. KM's contract will cost a chunk of change, hopefully after the season, but we certainly don't have enough of our own young talent to spend it on. So how is that a good thing for us?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That is not a good thing, though, this team having a ton of cap space, right? You keep pointing out that they don't have the cash to shell out big contracts and shouldn't spend a lot in FA. KM's contract will cost a chunk of change, hopefully after the season, but we certainly don't have enough of our own young talent to spend it on. So how is that a good thing for us?
Flexibility.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can’t recall which season but I recall that being a battle cry before the cards and it ended being a dud. Flexibility without a good game plan is meaningless.
Fairly common for the "they will have a ton of cap space next year" to be the battle cry. At least, that's how it seems to me. I could be misremembering though :cool:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I mean there was a year where the cardinals were literally rolling out “FLEXIBILITY!!!” as the answer to everything. I wish I could recall the year…

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Well Wilkes went to dumping talent after we went belly up, as -layers wanted the hell out, fortunes have changed quite a bit this year, but players don’t consider cards a premier destination like for BA

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What you need to bare in mind with Conner is that despite being a dual threat in Pit the Cards didn't throw him the ball until game 9 and he missed 2 games late in the season.

The 375 yards he had and all those 1 handed catches all came in 7 games in the 2nd half of the year. Which was a terrible coaching decision. Not sure what Kliff was doing.

Had they used him the same way the full season he would have had 800 receiving yards. Which is surely what they intend and why he was paid what he was.

Stout

Reaction score
What you need to bare in mind with Conner is that despite being a dual threat in Pit the Cards didn't throw him the ball until game 9 and he missed 2 games late in the season.

The 375 yards he had and all those 1 handed catches all came in 7 games in the 2nd half of the year. Which was a terrible coaching decision. Not sure what Kliff was doing.

Had they used him the same way the full season he would have had 800 receiving yards. Which is surely what they intend and why he was paid what he was.
Where this kind of falls apart is the reason they started doing so was due to Edmonds going out. And the problem there is that JC was subsequently overused and ended up hurt. You just can't expect JC to go out as the #1 with no co-starter and just rack up tons of rushing and receiving yards, as well as TDs, without breaking down. And what do we do when our ONLY viable starting RB breaks down?

This isn't to say he wasn't good last year; he was. When Edmonds had HIS inevitable injury, however, our coaching staff leaned too heavily on JC. We definitely need another back that can share the load. If we give JC almost all the touches from game 1, we'll be making a mistake.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where this kind of falls apart is the reason they started doing so was due to Edmonds going out. And the problem there is that JC was subsequently overused and ended up hurt. You just can't expect JC to go out as the #1 with no co-starter and just rack up tons of rushing and receiving yards, as well as TDs, without breaking down. And what do we do when our ONLY viable starting RB breaks down?

This isn't to say he wasn't good last year; he was. When Edmonds had HIS inevitable injury, however, our coaching staff leaned too heavily on JC. We definitely need another back that can share the load. If we give JC almost all the touches from game 1, we'll be making a mistake.
We definitely need another back to share the load

We can't expect Conner to play every game and most of the downs

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

People can;t make the "We don't know what they see in practice" argument for one thread and ignore it on the next.

It was pretty poor of the coaching staff not to recognize Conner was also a receiving threat from either a) his history or b) his practice. If anything Conner was a far better receiver than Chase. Chase has never been much more than a checkdown king. Conner complete owned Edmonds in every receiving statistic last year.

YPC 10.1 vs 7.2
YAC 10.1 vs 7.5
Drops 0 vs 3
Catch % 95% vs 81%
Passer rating 132 vs 91
TDs 3 vs 0

Conner is a much more dynamic receiving threat than Chase. It was pretty poor of the coaching not to recognize that and only start using it in game 9.

People keep saying Conner was over paid. Yet he's only on a mil more than Chase and Chase only had 2 TD's all year.

I was all for keeping Edmonds over Conner but having seen both deals Conners is by far the better value.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I fear he can’t handle that workload.

Stout

Reaction score
People can;t make the "We don't know what they see in practice" argument for one thread and ignore it on the next.

It was pretty poor of the coaching staff not to recognize Conner was also a receiving threat from either a) his history or b) his practice. If anything Conner was a far better receiver than Chase. Chase has never been much more than a checkdown king. Conner complete owned Edmonds in every receiving statistic last year.

YPC 10.1 vs 7.2
YAC 10.1 vs 7.5
Drops 0 vs 3
Catch % 95% vs 81%
Passer rating 132 vs 91
TDs 3 vs 0

Conner is a much more dynamic receiving threat than Chase. It was pretty poor of the coaching not to recognize that and only start using it in game 9.

People keep saying Conner was over paid. Yet he's only on a mil more than Chase and Chase only had 2 TD's all year.

I was all for keeping Edmonds over Conner but having seen both deals Conners is by far the better value.
Overworking JC is a bad, bad idea. Involve him more in the passing game, certainly, but don't give him extra reps to do it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I fear he can’t handle that workload.

I don't expect him to have a heavier workload than he did the 2nd half of the season. I still expect him to split the load with at least one other back.

I just expect him to get more receiving work over the whole season instead of only activating "Receiving mode" after game 8. He averaged over 50 yards a game in the 7 games he played after that point.

Something like 15 carries / 5 targets per game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't expect him to have a heavier workload than he did the 2nd half of the season. I still expect him to split the load with at least one other back.

I just expect him to get more receiving work over the whole season instead of only activating "Receiving mode" after game 8. He averaged over 50 yards a game in the 7 games he played after that point.

Something like 15 carries / 5 targets per game.
The second half of the season when he… got injured and averaged less than 4 YPC?

Co-sign

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s going to be a funny, but yet, sad sight to see when Conner is averaging 3.8 YPC & doesn’t finish with half as many total TDs as he did last season. Realization will come probably around week 11.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose