RB Conner re-signs with Cards

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It happens more than you think.

Week 1 they had a 3rd and 1 and went shotgun and motioned the RB out of the backfield. That ended in a sack.

Motion Connor out to WR. Oh that's going to be a WR screen to Connor.

How many countless times do they have Murray alone in shotgun formations? That's fine if you are willing to have Murray run but he looks reluctant to run this season so far. So it's a predictable passing situation where the Defense doesn't have to worry about the run.

Kliff's offense is so predictable I'm calling out the plays to my wife regularly and she is like "how did you know that?".
You may not like his play calling, but that play doesn't happen more than I think.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being honest, he might be the worst RB on the roster. I fully believe Williams & Benjamin are better than him. Im willing to bet that Ingram & Ward are better as well.

So basically, Keim overpaid on the 5th best RB on the team.

I suspect he's a better blitz pickup guy than Ingram and Ward but straight running yeah he's just too slow.

last week he just looked like a guy who hadn't practiced all week. Just wasn't fair to him or th eteam

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not going that far. Conner still does the little things to help a team win. The problem is we used the more explosive Chase on our track meet team last year (at least to start the year). And then Conner could come in hammer teams later in the games.

Paying him, forcing him to start games might have been the wrong play but he still has value.
If Conner has value, it’s negative value.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Conner has value, it’s negative value.
It is a wash or he has some positive value. There's always value in a back that can pick up in short yardage situations...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is a wash or he has some positive value. There's always value in a back that can pick up in short yardage situations...
I would bet we have RBs on the roster that could do that & NOT ONLY that while being cheaper.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would bet we have RBs on the roster that could do that & NOT ONLY that while being cheaper.
Possibly. This deal isn't as bad money wise as Ertz let's say.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It's clear that if you put a competent run blocking scheme with well coached OL in front of Conner, he can be a Pro Bowl caliber back.

Excellent vision. He's really great at reading blocks and knowing where the hole will be.

Laughs at arm tackles. Actually, no, he has contempt for them.

He's a little bit of a throw back. I don't want to invoke the ghosts of past greats (e.g. Franco Harris), but he takes over games a little like those bell cow backs from the 70s and 80s used to do.

Defending teams can put seven or eight in the box but still have trouble stopping him.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent vision. He's really great at reading blocks and knowing where the hole will be. Laughs at arm tackles.

He's a little bit of a throw back. I don't want to invoke the ghosts of past greats (e.g. Franco Harrison), but he takes over games a little like those bell cow backs from the 70s and 80s used to do.

Defending teams can put seven or eight in the box but still have trouble stopping him.
Agree. I would like to see us pick up a rb built along those lines. Carter is a great compliment but I don’t see him filling Connor’s shoes full time.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You don't win when you run, you run when you win.
both can be true. Its not like we had big leads and conner was just eating clock the entire second half. we forced defenses to tighten up to stop the run and passed off of that.
also, that graphic/stat is specifically James Conner, not "Cards Running backs"

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Nothing wrong with the offensive line or RBs room (after Keaontay Ingram sees himself out).

But those stats from PFF are kind of sus. ProFootballReference has us at 3.3 YPC and 1.7 after contact. Why would our stats go up if you filter out QB sneaks?

#susgraphs

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's a little bit of a throw back. I don't want to invoke the ghosts of past greats (e.g. Franco Harrison), but he takes over games a little like those bell cow backs from the 70s and 80s used to do.

excellent comp

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson