Kyler Murray - Rule 5 Eligible

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Something about been drafted by MLB team during playoffs or something along those lines :shrug:

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Rule 5 draft helps spread the wealth of minor league players. The selecting team
snags a player, pays the old team a fee and must keep that player on their roster for some amount of time, I can’t remember.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I also think teams can designate a certain amount of players as protected, so OAK doesn’t seem to think Kyler will be playing baseball anytime soon.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Lol.. I'd say K1 has things going they way he wants them to in football.

He's got an owner that is aggressively (and thoughtfully) pushing pieces around, trying to build a roster that can win a championship in the near term. Murray is close to something that I think he really wants (a ring), and he's not going anywhere.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Held each December, the Rule 5 Draft allows clubs without a full 40-man roster to select certain non-40-man roster players from other clubs. Clubs draft in reverse order of the standings from the previous season. Players signed at age 18 or younger need to be added to their club's 40-Man roster within five seasons or they become eligible for the Rule 5 Draft. Players who signed at age 19 or older need to be protected within four seasons.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would want to play baseball over football (except money). It's boring AF.

"Hey Kyler. You can go from being a superstar QB in the NFL getting 65 touches a game to standing in left hoping the ball comes your way so you have something to do and you might get to swing a bat on 3 separate occasions if your are lucky. But first you have to play 2-3 season for the Panoopski Pirates".

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would want to play baseball over football (except money). It's boring AF.

"Hey Kyler. You can go from being a superstar QB in the NFL getting 65 touches a game to standing in left hoping the ball comes your way so you have something to do and you might get to swing a bat on 3 separate occasions if your are lucky. But first you have to play 2-3 season for the Panoopski Pirates".
Longevity?

Big reason Kyler is in the NFL and not in the A’s org is because he can make way bigger $$$ faster in the NFL as a QB.

I would love to see him do both, and I think he wants too as well. I can see him asking that clause be lifted during these upcoming negotiations.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I fully believe being a lefty reliever is the best job in sports. Get 1-2 outs every other game, make 5 million a year for a decade

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I fully believe being a lefty reliever is the best job in sports. Get 1-2 outs every other game, make 5 million a year for a decade
My middle child was showing signs of being a lefty early and that was my first thought. Always jokes with my wife that we needed to beginning grooming him to be a lefty reliever. He is a lefty, but is a budding soccer star instead.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
5 mil a year lol, he is gonna get a Mahomes contract probably more! Gonna make more in a few years of nfl than decades in baseball…

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sure if money is your only goal. But from a enjoyment/fulfillment/legacy standpoint there's nothing better than playing QB in the NFL.

(And obviously being Chase Daniels is the best job in sports. Get paid $4m a year for doing nothing)

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sure if money is your only goal. But from a enjoyment/fulfillment/legacy standpoint there's nothing better than playing QB in the NFL.

(And obviously being Chase Daniels is the best job in sports. Get paid $4m a year for doing nothing)
I don't think he was suggesting being a lefty reliever for the money specifically. Obviously Kyler will make a lot more than that in the NFL, but as far as money vs responsibility it probably doesn't get much easier than lefty reliever in baseball.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think he was suggesting being a lefty reliever for the money specifically. Obviously Kyler will make a lot more than that in the NFL, but as far as money vs responsibility it probably doesn't get much easier than lefty reliever in baseball.

I wouldn't know, I'd rather peel my eyeballs than watch baseball.

The only lefty reliever I know is when I fancy a change up :p

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If a team selects a player in the rule 5 draft the must keep him on their 25/26 man roster the entire season or offer him back to his original team for half the drafted price. They pay $50k to draft, give back price therefore is 25K. Cant imagine him getting drafted.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you don't know baseball it is in fact boring. However, for those that understand the game, and can see the multitude of things going on during every pitch, the game is beautiful.
I know baseball and it is boring.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Arguably, the hardest thing to do in a team sport is hitting a 90+ per hr. moving baseball squarely with a round bat. Go 1 for 3 and a walk over the course of a career and you are a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

The enjoyment/fulfillment/legacy is very much there.

It's intricate and highly pleasing if you understand more than the basics and those who don't should spare the world their ignorance. ;)

Mike Trout, Angels: 10 years, $360 million (2021-30)
Bryce Harper, Phillies: 13 years, $330 million (2019-31)
Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins: 13 years, $325 million (2015-27)
Manny Machado, Padres: 10 years, $300 million (2019-28)
Alex Rodriguez, Yankees: 10 years, $275 million (2008-17)
Nolan Arenado, Rockies: 8 years, $260 million
Miguel Cabrera, Tigers: 8 years, $248 million (2016-23)

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arguably, the hardest thing to do in a team sport is hitting a 90+ per hr. moving baseball squarely with a round bat. Go 1 for 3 and a walk over the course of a career and you are a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

The enjoyment/fulfillment/legacy is very much there.

It's intricate and highly pleasing if you understand more than the basics and those who don't should spare the world their ignorance. ;)

You know because I think it sucks doesn't invalidate your enjoyment right?

I like soccer, I'm sure many here think it sucks.

I find baseball dull. Its great you don't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose