Roster ideas and rumors for Suns

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't even trade Cam Johnson for him straight up, his attitude makes him unsurvivable IMO. I had to laugh when I saw a rumor that the Spurs had interest, he is the exact opposite of the kind of player Pop would want.
Honestly, id rather have Tyler Ulis back. There I said it.

Pops getting older he wouldn't want a project like that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Again, take from Flex what you want. I’m thinking if we had a 1st rd pick to trade it’d be done already.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Again, take from Flex what you want. I’m thinking if we had a 1st rd pick to trade it’d be done already.

Pipe dream, considering that Smith and Saric both have negative trade value right now.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Also, I posted Cams plus or minus in the finals. So, yes it's a fact. Also, if you had eyes you could see us get worked by the size in the playoffs in the paint when we went small. You must have missed it. He finished with a net -56 in the finals and +2 against the Clippers thanks to one great game
How many min was poor Cam out their without Ayton? Suns have two centers now I don't consider that small ball.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the hypothetical trade was made, Dario Saric and Jalen Smith for Thad Young, this would have two players going out and only one player returning.

Chandler Hutchison could be converted from a two-way contract to a regular contract to get to 14 players if the Suns were so inclined. This would still leave the Suns with an open roster spot if they choose to use it later.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is interesting about the tweet from Flex From Jersey when he talks about "League rules causing delays" could there be another player included in the trade that is not yet eligible to be traded?

Again, in this proposed trade the Suns would have two players going out and only one player returning. The Suns must carry 14 players when the season starts although they can temporarily drop to 13 players for two weeks.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many min was poor Cam out their without Ayton? Suns have two centers now I don't consider that small ball.
If you are playing small at any position it's small ball. Sure, you can try and compensate by putting a legit backup big at Center. However, the Suns got into a ton of trouble in the paint when either Ayton was forced to the bench with foul trouble or Crowder. When Ayton went to the bench we moved Crowder over. When Crowder would leave again we went small at the PF. If both were out it typically was a disaster. Cam is not and never will be a PF. It's not on Cam really. The coaches wanted to give him more minutes to spark the offense but they put him at a disadvantage against bigger teams when playing him out of position. Go back and check the threads during the last couple series. Practically everyone was screaming to get another big in there off the bench. Everyone could see what was happening.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is interesting about the tweet from Flex From Jersey when he talks about "League rules causing delays" could there be another player included in the trade that is not yet eligible to be traded?

Again, in this proposed trade the Suns would have two players going out and only one player returning. The Suns must carry 14 players when the season starts although they can temporarily drop to 13 players for two weeks.

That is the only league rule I could think of, that SA wants to dump someone with Thad and are waiting because they can't include Thad in a trade with another outgoing player right now. I think they need to wait 60 days to be able to make a trade with another player going out in a package with Thad. I guess we'll see but I've largely given up on that deal happening.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the only league rule I could think of, that SA wants to dump someone with Thad and are waiting because they can't include Thad in a trade with another outgoing player right now. I think they need to wait 60 days to be able to make a trade with another player going out in a package with Thad. I guess we'll see but I've largely given up on that deal happening.
Young himself is in the 60 days. He was acquired Aug 11. I just read the rule and once you include a pick (package) you must wait 60 days. That's a reasonable guess. He wouldn't be available until early October.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sold the rumored trade is going to happen either. One of the questions I keep asking, could the Suns have acquired Chandler Hutchison to convert to a regular roster spot later on. Could it be a larger trade (more than two teams) with another Suns player going out like Abdel Nader? He could be an enticement for the Spurs to make the trade.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sold the rumored trade is going to happen either. One of the questions I keep asking, could the Suns have acquired Chandler Hutchison to convert to a regular roster spot later on. Could it be a larger trade (more than two teams) with another Suns player going out like Abdel Nader? He could be an enticement for the Spurs to make the trade.

Nader can't be traded for a while, I believe not until December 15. You can't resign your own free agents and trade them later in the offseason. It would need to be one of our core guys, if another player is involved.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nader can't be traded for a while, I believe not until December 15. You can't resign your own free agents and trade them later in the offseason. It would need to be one of our core guys, if another player is involved.

That's where the rules would come into play not making the trade possible now.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams do sign and trades all the time. Is there are a moratorium after they have been re-signed? I don't recall one but I have not read the rule in a long time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams do sign and trades all the time. Is there are a moratorium after they have been re-signed? I don't recall one but I have not read the rule in a long time.

Yeah you can do a sign and trade but they have to wait until December 15 to trade them elsewhere. Sign and trades are viewed as one sort of transaction but resigning a FA is viewed as keeping them so that's why there is the waiting period.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can do a sign and trade but they have to wait until December 15 to trade them elsewhere. Sign and trades are viewed as one sort of transaction but resigning a FA is viewed as keeping them so that's why there is the waiting period.
That's right it's 3 months or Dec 15 (whichever comes first). So, it could be that or the wait for Young to become available. Those are plausible explanations I guess.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understanding these trade rules are quite the challenge. I'm as confused as anyone.

However, since none of Smith, Saric and Young were free agents I think they can be traded after 60 days.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understanding these trade rules are quite the challenge. I'm as confused as anyone.

However, since none of Smith, Saric and Young were free agents I think they can be traded after 60 days.
That's what I read as well. Young can't be traded until 60 days after his previous trade if he is included in a package. Straight up there is no restriction.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I do? That seems like a bunch of hyperbole on your part. I know most rumors are just that. However, I have also seen and heard enough interviews with GM's to know where their is smoke there is always fire. The front office makes calls daily. They don't do it for their health. Also, it's not like the rumors were for every position. They were for position of need. I don't pay much attention to the vloggers and such. I typically pay attention to NBA insiders who have a good track record.

Also, the idea that they won't part with anybody therefore they are fine isn't accurate at all. It could be but trading is a two way street with both sides trying to get the best of each other. Some asking prices are just too high. Some areas you don't feel like you have enough depth to trade. Sometimes you can't find a way to make salaries work. Sometimes the player is asking too much in FA. There is a host of reason why a move never happens and it has nothing to do with you feeling like your fine at that position.

Also, I posted Cams plus or minus in the finals. So, yes it's a fact. Also, if you had eyes you could see us get worked by the size in the playoffs in the paint when we went small. You must have missed it. He finished with a net -56 in the finals and +2 against the Clippers thanks to one great game. He had a negative net 3 of the 5 games he played in that series too. My point being is that small ball doesn't translate the same come playoff time. That's why his plus/minus from the regular season wasn't the same in the playoffs especially as we got deeper into it. You have me mistaken for a certain poster on ignore.
How did you make me quote that? I didn’t say it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I am inclined to think if we make a trade for a PF, it will be a 3 player for two player trade, and we have to give up a player of value, since we probably won't have a draft pick anyone wants. Who wants a low round first and junk for a player of value?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am inclined to think if we make a trade for a PF, it will be a 3 player for two player trade, and we have to give up a player of value, since we probably won't have a draft pick anyone wants. Who wants a low round first and junk for a player of value?

I'm not sure what a Thad Young trade would look like but I would be hesitant for the Suns to give up a first round pick for him. I guess I could be talked into it if the Suns think he is a difference maker. If the Spurs wanted a player like Abdel Nader in addition to Smith and Saric plus perhaps a second round pick I would probably do it.

I view Saric as an asset for the 2022-23 season and Smith has potential to develop as a player. As much as I would like the addition of Young, he is a 33 year old player on a $14,190,000 expiring contract.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think we can trade a 1 until OKC gets there pick. Anyone know how that works?

im not giving up a 1 for a role player on the last year of his deal anyway.

C. Ayton, McGee
PF. Crowder, Young
SF. Bridges, Cam
SG. Booker, Shamet
PG. Paul, Payne

that’s a really solid team, we need Bridges and Ayton to take that next step on offense

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think we can trade a 1 until OKC gets there pick. Anyone know how that works?

im not giving up a 1 for a role player on the last year of his deal anyway.

C. Ayton, McGee
PF. Crowder, Young
SF. Bridges, Cam
SG. Booker, Shamet
PG. Paul, Payne

that’s a really solid team, we need Bridges and Ayton to take that next step on offense

I think we can trade a 2026 pick right now. We can't trade an earlier pick because of the protections on the pick OKC has, even though it should convey this year. If for some reason OKC doesn't get the pick then its in limbo next year since there are still protections. It will convey in 2024 if it hadn't yet, so the following year can't be traded because of the Stepian rule, making 2026 as early as we can guarantee a pick to another team.

Realistically our pick will convey this year since I can't see us missing the playoffs. Once it does convey then we can deal our 2024 1st round pick after the 2022 draft takes place.

Pick protection in the NBA is all about making sure 2 teams can't stake claim to the same pick. Even if someone has a small claim to it then that is treated as a full claim until it's settled.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If one wants to watch the Solar Panel with Dave King and Flex From Jersey here it is on YouTube.

Flex talks about Thad Young at about the 28 minute mark.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members