Roster ideas and rumors for Suns

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Daniel Oturu is an interesting player. He was waived by the Grizzlies. He moves pretty well for a big man. I wouldn't mind if the Suns kicked the tires for a training camp invite.

Here are his college stats.

If for nothing else to put the fear of God in San Antonio, maybe they don't need a draft pick after all.
Not bad stats for that kid and his size is nice. We could keep Stix and let those two bounce off each other for mins.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If for nothing else to put the fear of God in San Antonio, maybe they don't need a draft pick after all.
Not bad stats for that kid and his size is nice.

Yeah, Oturu is young and moves pretty well. It would be nice if the Suns could find a place for him somewhere.

I don't suppose he would settle for a two-way spot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bulls sign Daniel Oturu for training camp deal. I would have liked to see the Suns do this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thunder claim Mamadi Diakite off waivers.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bulls sign Daniel Oturu for training camp deal. I would have liked to see the Suns do this.

The Suns seem hell-bent on not bringing in any big man, not even a camp body. Absolutely nonsensical.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns seem hell-bent on not bringing in any big man, not even a camp body. Absolutely nonsensical.

What's "absolutely nonsensical" is you repeating the same post for the last 3 months, which is almost the same exact thing you whined about the vast majority of last season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's just not true either.

Javelle McGee is a big man and they did bring him in.

Thadeous Young is coming as well if you believe flex, and I do.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's just not true either.

Javelle McGee is a big man and they did bring him in.

Thadeous Young is coming as well if you believe flex, and I do.

The same guy who said the NBA would push back a playoff game to allow CP3 additional time to recover from COVID? Besides, Flex didn't say that the Suns were absolutely getting Young, just that the Suns were interested.

And by "big" I mean an actual 4. They had two front court positions to fill (not just a back-up 5) and stubbornly have only filled one (with McGee), despite there being plenty of cash left on the table, an open roster spot, and training camp starting shortly.

In my opinion, that is inexcusable, especially right after watching the exact same thing at least contribute substantively to costing us a championship last season.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They had two front court positions to fill (not just a back-up 5) and stubbornly have only filled one (with McGee), despite there being plenty of cash left on the table, an open roster, and training camp starting shortly

They signed McGee and Frank. You don't have to like it but they did address it. They have room for 1 PF going forward since they already have Crowder and Jalen Smith as PF's currently. Quit your belly aching and willfully ignoring what's been done simply because its not what you would have done.

You believed we'd miss the playoffs entirely last season with a month to go. So why should anyone take your insight after being so ridiculously wrong? Please, explain that.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They signed McGee and Frank. You don't have to like it but they did address it. They have room for 1 PF going forward since they already have Crowder and Jalen Smith as PF's currently. Quit your belly aching and willfully ignoring what's been done simply because its not what you would have done.

You believed we'd miss the playoffs entirely last season with a month to go. So why should anyone take your insight after being so ridiculously wrong? Please, explain that.

They had Frank last year. He was awful. He was not what they needed to replace Torrey Craig, or more appropriately to upgrade from Dario Saric.

And Jalen Smith proved in Summer League that he is currently worse than awful. He is still at least 2-3 years away from being an NBA player, and that's only with a miraculous change in physique. Jalen Smith doesn't count...unless the plan is to tank, despite bringing back CP3. They CANNOT make the same mistake with Jalen Smith that they made with Chriss and Bender - gifting playing time that is not deserved. Doing so will return the team culture back to that of the despicable McD years.

Monty, CP3 and even James Jones have worked very hard to build a culture of accountability here. It would be a shame just to throw that away.

Simply put, Jalen Smith should start the season in the G League, and he shouldn't play so much as a single NBA minute...ever again...unless and until he can prove he can at least be productive in G League action.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They had Frank last year. He was awful. He was not what they needed to replace Torrey Craig, or more appropriately to upgrade from Dario Saric.

And Jalen Smith proved in Summer League that he is currently worse than awful. He is still at least 2-3 years away from being an NBA player, and that's only with a miraculous change in physique. Jalen Smith doesn't count...unless the plan is to tank, despite bringing back CP3. They CANNOT make the same mistake with Jalen Smith that they made with Chriss and Bender - gifting playing time that is not deserved. Doing so will return the team culture back to that of the despicable McD years.

Unless the plan is to tank? You’re a pathetic freaking troll.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Unless the plan is to tank? You’re a pathetic freaking troll.

My point is that I don't believe for a second that Jalen Smith is the answer at power forward, and I can't believe that management does, either. You have seen him in the G League and now in Summer League. Any team that wants to win should NOT be giving him playing time yet, and anyone who wants the team to win shouldn't advocate for it. Period.

And I would argue that anyone pushing for Jalen Smith to get playing time this year on a team that is supposed to have championship aspirations is the real troll and is pushing for the team to lose and return to it's bad culture days.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How could anyone forget, Jalen Smith playing will cause Paul, Booker, and Ayton to all demand trades.

I trust Monty to lock Jalen in the Suns hyperbaric chamber before their first road trip of the season. That will teach James Jones his lesson.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How could anyone forget, Jalen Smith playing will cause Paul, Booker, and Ayton to all demand trades.

I trust Monty to lock Jalen in the Suns hyperbaric chamber before their first road trip of the season. That will teach James Jones his lesson.
Maybe Monty could lock Jalen out of the Suns Hyperbolic chamber so a certain poster here will stop exaggerating the guy's weaknesses. I guess he should lock CamJ out too.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't see what you guys are arguing about but I feel better about our FC signing with Mcgee for sure. I still think we need a backup PF. Not a star or anything like that but a legit backup PF. Hopefully, Jalen can put in some quality minutes but man does he still look a year or two away. The Suns appear to be still trying to pull off a trade if rumors are true so I think the Suns have the same thought. Do I think we can run it back as is? Sure, the regular season is a different beast. We can get away with playing small at that position during the regular season. Playoffs is a different beast. I have faith James Jones knows what he is doing. He has proven it so far. Not worried at all about going into the regular season as is.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't see what you guys are arguing about but I feel better about our FC signing with Mcgee for sure. I still think we need a backup PF. Not a star or anything like that but a legit backup PF. Hopefully, Jalen can put in some quality minutes but man does he still look a year or two away. The Suns appear to be still trying to pull off a trade if rumors are true so I think the Suns have the same thought. Do I think we can run it back as is? Sure, the regular season is a different beast. We can get away with playing small at that position during the regular season. Playoffs is a different beast. I have faith James Jones knows what he is doing. He has proven it so far. Not worried at all about going into the regular season as is.
Sometimes young players get a chance to shine in situations like this. The Cardinals are thin at CB and now Marco Wilson is really stepping up. Might as well see what Jalen can do.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sometimes young players get a chance to shine in situations like this. The Cardinals are thin at CB and now Marco Wilson is really stepping up. Might as well see what Jalen can do.

I'd rather continue our usage of forwards the way we have been using them rather than expecting Smith to show something else that we haven't already seen.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero issue with giving him a shot. He isn't a rookie anymore and I would like to see him step up.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I said I would reiterate my point if someone reiterated theirs, so here goes.

Mark my words: The Suns will lose every...single...game...in which Jalen Smith gets meaningful playing time. He is currently THAT bad, and he has PROVED it in G League and in Summer League.

If the Suns want to win and keep the positive culture of accountability that Monty, CP3 and James Jones worked so hard to build (and I am counting on the fact that they do, because the alternative is unthinkable and horrifying), Jalen Smith will not get a single meaningful NBA minute with the Suns unless and until he EARNS his playing time by at least showing some net positive productivity at the G League or Summer League level, something he has not done yet.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said I would reiterate my point if someone reiterated theirs, so here goes.

Mark my words: The Suns will lose every...single...game...in which Jalen Smith gets meaningful playing time. He is currently THAT bad, and he has PROVED it in G League and in Summer League.
okay... let's make a deal. If Smith gets meaningful playing time in a game they win, you leave the board forever. Afterall, you're SO SURE he's not only a dumpster fire, but a dumpster fire which means we're tanking and that Booker and CP3 will ask out if he plays.

so put your money where your mouth is.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
okay... let's make a deal. If Smith gets meaningful playing time in a game they win, you leave the board forever. Afterall, you're SO SURE he's not only a dumpster fire, but a dumpster fire which means we're tanking and that Booker and CP3 will ask out if he plays.

so put your money where your mouth is.

And what will you do if the team implodes or reverts back to the McD culture in the event Jalen Smith is gifted playing time the same way Chriss and Bender were?

And his play in Summer League spoke for itself. As his body continued to grow disproportionately, he ultimately looked like Frankenstein's monster bumbling and stumbling around on the court. Zero coordination.