Roster ideas and rumors for Suns

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My thinking is how many teams are bullet proof at all 5 positions? I know the Nets could use some front court help. Golden State is really small in their front court, and even talked about trading their only true center! Heck some teams don't have 2 guards like us. Some teams need better small forwards. For a while Houston didn't need a Center.... PF is our weak spot. Last year it was PF AND Center since we didn't have a back up with size. Now we have a shot blocker back up center. So arguably we have improved over last year already. Would it be nice to have a better PF? Yes. Is there anyone we could get without getting rid of guys we want to keep, who would be a true upgrade? I believe like Gambo says, if there was that guy, he would be on the roster already. I am willing to give Stix some minutes for the first month or so, and then see what the trade deadline, cuts and buy outs bring. In the regular season, a healthy CP3 and Booker will win us more games than an upgraded PF. Besides, you could see Booker changing his game after the Finals during the Olympics. Could be very interesting this season....

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson is satisfactory as a backup power forward unless the Suns can acquire someone better at the 4. We have to deal with reality. At the moment the Suns do not have someone better.

I've been leading the choir since last season for the Suns to acquire more depth at power forward. Maybe you should read some of my posts from last season prior to the trade deadline and during buyouts. I saw the need all last season not to mention this season. There is only so much money to go around.

Hopefully the Suns can find the right player via buyout or trade.
Cam isn't a satisfactory backup regardless. He should only be playing that position in small ball scenarios. Dealing with reality means recognizing he isn't a power forward. The Suns have been involved in just about every PF rumor outside of star players. Nobody thinks we are going to get a star here. I think getting a competent player who can sub in at both PF/C would be ideal but who knows if that player is even out there or available.
How do you think the Suns don't believe Cam is a satisfactory PF? He started at PF in the bubble, started at PF during the season, and was the primary sub for Jae the rest of the year. They also haven't rushed out to add someone to take his role, which points towards them viewing Cam as satisfactory, at the least.
Because they have been involved in every rumor around PF just about outside of stars. Almost every insider has said they are looking for a better PF rotational player. They are obviously looking. So that points to the opposite. I think every Suns FO person is well aware how bad the +/- was when we played small at the PF spot during the finals.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam isn't a satisfactory backup regardless. He should only be playing that position in small ball scenarios. Dealing with reality means recognizing he isn't a power forward. The Suns have been involved in just about every PF rumor outside of star players.

I'd be thrilled if the Suns signed someone who could play significant minutes at power forward. Most Suns fans fully realize the team's weakness.

Ideally it would be nice to have a prototype power forward but until the Suns find someone who can play backup power forward better than Cam Johnson, that's the reality. It's not like the Suns have better options at the moment.

Small ball situations is where Cam usually plays coming off the bench.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be thrilled if the Suns signed someone who could play significant minutes at power forward. Most Suns fans fully realize the team's weakness.

Ideally it would be nice to have a prototype power forward but until the Suns find someone who can play backup power forward better than Cam Johnson, that's the reality. It's not like the Suns have better options at the moment.

Small ball situations is where Cam usually plays coming off the bench.
We agree but better option doesn't mean satisfactory option. I get it. We do what we have to do. The scenarios where it hurts us is when our FC is in foul trouble. It killed us in the finals because nobody with size was behind them. I have no issue with Cam doing it in small doses when small ball is warranted.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We agree but better option doesn't mean satisfactory option. I get it. We do what we have to do. The scenarios where it hurts us is when our FC is in foul trouble. It killed us in the finals because nobody with size was behind them. I have no issue with Cam doing it in small doses when small ball is warranted.

I think we are in agreement as long as we don't quibble over words like "satisfactory."

Hopefully James Jones feels as strongly about it as we do.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because they have been involved in every rumor around PF just about outside of stars. Almost every insider has said they are looking for a better PF rotational player. They are obviously looking. So that points to the opposite. I think every Suns FO person is well aware how bad the +/- was when we played small at the PF spot during the finals.

You put a lot more faith in rumors than I do. What rumors have proven legit during the James Jones era? I can't think of any. There were no rumors suggesting we'd sign McGee, trade for Shamet, trade for Craig (who we also learned almost signed last offseason), etc. Rumors in today's NBA or sports worlds are about generating clicks for ad revenue today and look at how Suns fans talk about the PF position. No wonder sites will link us having interest in whatever PF might be available.

That's not to say there isn't some legitimacy, like how the Suns would like Thad Young, but wouldn't most teams want to add him for nothing? Since a deal hasn't happened yet it's fair to say the Suns don't want to give up much of anything for him. We don't know what San Antonio wants but since there have been rumors also about buying him out, his value there isn't that high.

Most rumors linking us to PF's don't have us willing to part with anyone for whatever PF might be available. If we aren't willing to give anything up, then the team is likely content with who they have. If you think they're not happy with Cam at PF that's fine but you shouldn't state it as fact like you did because there is nothing to back that claim up directly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like no one has said anything unique in this thread for 10 pages. No offense meant to any of the participants.

lol... I was literally just thinking that right before I scrolled to this post. You borg’d me to it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You put a lot more faith in rumors than I do. What rumors have proven legit during the James Jones era? I can't think of any. There were no rumors suggesting we'd sign McGee, trade for Shamet, trade for Craig (who we also learned almost signed last offseason), etc. Rumors in today's NBA or sports worlds are about generating clicks for ad revenue today and look at how Suns fans talk about the PF position. No wonder sites will link us having interest in whatever PF might be available.

That's not to say there isn't some legitimacy, like how the Suns would like Thad Young, but wouldn't most teams want to add him for nothing? Since a deal hasn't happened yet it's fair to say the Suns don't want to give up much of anything for him. We don't know what San Antonio wants but since there have been rumors also about buying him out, his value there isn't that high.

Most rumors linking us to PF's don't have us willing to part with anyone for whatever PF might be available. If we aren't willing to give anything up, then the team is likely content with who they have. If you think they're not happy with Cam at PF that's fine but you shouldn't state it as fact like you did because there is nothing to back that claim up directly.

I do? That seems like a bunch of hyperbole on your part. I know most rumors are just that. However, I have also seen and heard enough interviews with GM's to know where their is smoke there is always fire. The front office makes calls daily. They don't do it for their health. Also, it's not like the rumors were for every position. They were for position of need. I don't pay much attention to the vloggers and such. I typically pay attention to NBA insiders who have a good track record.

Also, the idea that they won't part with anybody therefore they are fine isn't accurate at all. It could be but trading is a two way street with both sides trying to get the best of each other. Some asking prices are just too high. Some areas you don't feel like you have enough depth to trade. Sometimes you can't find a way to make salaries work. Sometimes the player is asking too much in FA. There is a host of reason why a move never happens and it has nothing to do with you feeling like your fine at that position.

Also, I posted Cams plus or minus in the finals. So, yes it's a fact. Also, if you had eyes you could see us get worked by the size in the playoffs in the paint when we went small. You must have missed it. He finished with a net -56 in the finals and +2 against the Clippers thanks to one great game. He had a negative net 3 of the 5 games he played in that series too. My point being is that small ball doesn't translate the same come playoff time. That's why his plus/minus from the regular season wasn't the same in the playoffs especially as we got deeper into it. You have me mistaken for a certain poster on ignore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What we need is a good rumor for something to talk about.

At this point I'd get excited about adding a power forward on a training camp invite.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What we need is a good rumor for something to talk about.

At this point I'd get excited about adding a power forward on a training camp invite.
Anyone think this is the rumored small(ish) market secret trade we've heard about? Ayton, Saric, Bridges and Jalen for Ben Simmons and a second round pick. With a starting lineup of Chris Paul, Devin Booker, Cam Johnson, Ben Simmons and Javale McGee it seems to solve many of the concerns here.

Just shoot me if this turns out to actually be the reported rumor.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone think this is the rumored small(ish) market secret trade we've heard about? Ayton, Saric, Bridges and Jalen for Ben Simmons and a second round pick. With a starting lineup of Chris Paul, Devin Booker, Cam Johnson, Ben Simmons and Javale McGee it seems to solve many of the concerns here.

That would be downright depressing. I'm looking for something more upbeat.

Kenneth Faried working out for the Lakers got me more excited.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

It certainly would cause an explosion of activity here. :lmao:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be downright depressing. I'm looking for something more upbeat.

Kenneth Faried working out for the Lakers got me more excited.
Yeah, just finding out Kenneth Faried was still alive would get me more excited. My invented rumor is more likely to stop my heart than that triple patty cheeseburger with carne asada fries I'm contemplating for lunch today.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just finding out Kenneth Faried was still alive would get me more excited. My invented rumor is more likely to stop my heart than that triple patty cheeseburger with carne asada fries I'm contemplating for lunch today.

Your lunch menu sounds so good I'm ready to try it.

Crowder and Faried together would give the Suns some tough looking forwards though.

Can we have Jahidi White at center?

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

OMG no! How about we send them all of our first round picks for the next decade if they keep that bum in the City of Brotherly Love!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

no way. That deal is awful.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I had to read this post twice before accepting its author.

Steve, come back from the dark side!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to read this post twice before accepting its author.

Steve, come back from the dark side!
Read the spoiler. I don't expect it to happen and I don't want it to happen. But it would improve our rebounding and our post defense plus allow Cameron to play his "natural" small forward position. Sure, it would kill our spacing, turn us into brick city and cost us probably 20 wins per season but at least we'd be a better rebounding team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Read the spoiler. I don't expect it to happen and I don't want it to happen. But it would improve our rebounding and our post defense plus allow Cameron to play his "natural" small forward position. Sure, it would kill our spacing, turn us into brick city and cost us probably 20 wins per season but at least we'd be a better rebounding team.
Fair… but I think we’d be worse on the glass. Ayton does a lot that does not show up in box scores. I certainly would not even consider trading him for Simmons straight up, even Bridges… the perceived value is more but I honestly think Bridges is more impactful, especially when it matters.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair… but I think we’d be worse on the glass. Ayton does a lot that does not show up in box scores. I certainly would not even consider trading him for Simmons straight up, even Bridges… the perceived value is more but I honestly think Bridges is more impactful, especially when it matters.
Yeah, I wouldn't even trade Cam Johnson for him straight up, his attitude makes him unsurvivable IMO. I had to laugh when I saw a rumor that the Spurs had interest, he is the exact opposite of the kind of player Pop would want.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe a 3 team where Ayton goes elsewhere but Philly has no need for him, at all, with Embiid at Center. Still don't like it. I think CP3 might murder Simmons if he passed up lay ups in an important game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave