Roster ideas and rumors for Suns

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As previously posted, the Suns have reportedly been trying to gauge the trade value of Jalen Smith.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this trade idea would require additional assets, perhaps second round picks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another idea to get Thaddeus Young?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this trade idea would require additional assets, perhaps second round picks.

I'd be happy with either of those guys but I dont see why the Spurs would take Dario and Stix to make it work, for Thad.

I imagine a similar package for Nance but Cleveland is a bad organization so it wouldn't surprise me if they did that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy with either of those guys but I dont see why the Spurs would take Dario and Stix to make it work, for Thad.

I imagine a similar package for Nance but Cleveland is a bad organization so it wouldn't surprise me if they did that.

Why the Spurs do it is the question unless they like both Saric and Smith. Thaddeus Young is on an expiring contract so the Spurs may be looking for assets. I think the Suns might have to add something to make it more attractive.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If James Jones can turn one or both of the above mentioned players into Thaddeus Young or Larry Nance Jr. it would be another genius move especially if he retains draft picks and the remaining MLE and BAE.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evan Sidery was also the Jackalope who predicted the Suns would go hard after McDermott so o take what he says with a bag of salt.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Evan Sidery was also the Jackalope who predicted the Suns would go hard after McDermott so o take what he says with a bag of salt.

Actually this is from Jake Fischer - not Sidery, he is just passing it along.

But just because the Suns did not sign McDermott - also reported by Fischer - does not mean they did not have interest in doing so.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
C: Ayton, McGee
PF: Crowder, Young
SF: Mikal, Cam

that’s a really good front court.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True statement. But we cannot afford to wallow in sunk cost at this point. If we can add Thad and field a stronger team for the current timeline it is worth it

Looking like the first real misfire from Jones.

But a good GM recognizes that, learns from it, and moves on and doesn't try to force it just to try to justify his drafting.

And I will say, that the NBA Draft is more and more a crap shoot, with limited exposure to players - last year with Covid even more so.

And looking at the players drafted after Smith - other than Haliburton, who would be a back-up with the Suns as well, is there anyone in the PF/C position that would ahve been a better choice?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though I like both, if that’s what you get for smith he’s a bust of a pick.

Jalen Smith went too early in the draft. They can't afford to wait to see if he develops. His contract is a team option next season. I doubt if they use it. If the Suns can get a serviceable player in return so much the better.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To just write Smith off so early is a bit much.

he was and is a project when he was drafted we already knew he wasn’t physically ready. We drafted him for the future but nobody and I mean nobody thought we were going to have the run we had last year. We are in win now mode and don’t got time to develop a guy when we can one that helps right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To just write Smith off so early is a bit much.

he was and is a project when he was drafted we already knew he wasn’t physically ready. We drafted him for the future but nobody and I mean nobody thought we were going to have the run we had last year. We are in win now mode and don’t got time to develop a guy when we can one that helps right now.

Monty thought the Suns were a top four team early on last season. When you trade for Chris Paul the window becomes now.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty thought the Suns were a top four team early on last season. When you trade for Chris Paul the window becomes now.

what’s he supposed to say?

a finals run and 2 games from a championship yeah I saw a ton of that talk on this board on draft night last year

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what’s he supposed to say?

a finals run and 2 games from a championship yeah I saw a ton of that talk on this board on draft night last year

This was early in the season or before last season when Monty said this.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was early in the season or before last season when Monty said this.

well Stix was drafted on draft night so what was this teams expectations on that night. That’s what matters.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Jalen Smith went too early in the draft. They can't afford to wait to see if he develops. His contract is a team option next season. I doubt if they use it. If the Suns can get a serviceable player in return so much the better.
Today, yes, it's not ideal to have to wait for him to develop. But when they took him last year we were most definitely NOT the 2nd best team in the league, so they thought they had some time to develop him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well Stix was drafted on draft night so what was this teams expectations on that night. That’s what matters.

The point being, when the Suns traded for Chris Paul everything changed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Today, yes, it's not ideal to have to wait for him to develop. But when they took him last year we were most definitely NOT the 2nd best team in the league, so they thought they had some time to develop him.
Thats a fair assessment. Although we are probably not the second-best team in the league.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Thats a fair assessment. Although we are probably not the second-best team in the league.
You know what I mean. Even top 5 or even top 7. Then again, if we had more big bodies, we probably could develop him today. We just don't have the big bodies to compensate.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have to think that with the Suns spending a decade wandering in the desert after Nash left, they would have an eye toward sustainable success. Booker, Ayton + Bridges/Johnson are so young and not even in their primes yet. I want to win now, but there must be an attempt to keep adding young talent that will allow a transition to the next era with minimal drop off.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You have to think that with the Suns spending a decade wandering in the desert after Nash left, they would have an eye toward sustainable success. Booker, Ayton + Bridges/Johnson are so young and not even in their primes yet. I want to won now, but there must be an attempt to keep adding young talent that will allow a transition to the next era with minimal drop off.
That's where you look at the drafting as Cam Johnson -- maybe too early, but much more ready to contribute than a lot of other rookies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave