CJ is a Top 5 edge rusher? Survey says......

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hope so, having JJ is going to help obviously, but the type of injury and his age leaves me a little skeptical. If he can win the 1 on 1's (and JJ can do the same) then we're in business, but I honestly believe his days of winning double teams are basically done.

A poster in another thread mentioned letting Calais go too early and I agree with that. Could be the same thing here.

Reaction score
I'm terrible at starting threads but I didn't want this to get lost in the other CJ thread.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't know why many here have given up on CJ already. He's been the top pass rusher from the outside the previous 5 years, tears a bicep, & all of a sudden he's trash & we should trade him. I don't get it. Great pass rushers are very hard to come by. We have one & should re-sign him to finish his career in Cardinal red.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know why many here have given up on CJ already. He's been the top pass rusher from the outside the previous 5 years, tears a bicep, & all of a sudden he's trash & we should trade him. I don't get it. Great pass rushers are very hard to come by. We have one & should re-sign him to finish his career in Cardinal red.
I think CJ is top 3 edge over the last 8 years. But who do you know that's come back from a bicep injury like that? It's literally nobody man (not anyone who played well after). Name me one guy. It's a very serious, rare injury.

(That crap up there <pointy finger> is worded all wrong but I'm lazy and a little stoned and refuse to clarify matters)

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hope so, having JJ is going to help obviously, but the type of injury and his age leaves me a little skeptical. If he can win the 1 on 1's (and JJ can do the same) then we're in business, but I honestly believe his days of winning double teams are basically done.

A poster in another thread mentioned letting Calais go too early and I agree with that. Could be the same thing here.
I'm not sure there would have been many who wanted the Cards to match the Jags offer to Calais.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think CJ is top 3 edge over the last 8 years. But who do you know that's come back from a bicep injury like that? It's literally nobody man (not anyone who played well after). Name me one guy. It's a very serious, rare injury.

(That crap up there <pointy finger> is worded all wrong but I'm lazy and a little stoned and refuse to clarify matters)
Give us a list of players who had a torn bicep and didn't return to form?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think we're too all too willing to place too little value on our top talent (Calais and The Badger - to name a couple). Call it "bad luck", but I think it's more a part of front office myopia. Just as BA was known as the "QB Whisperer", we need a "Talent-Whisperer" in the FO and we should pay him/her handsomely.

Reaction score

Adrian Wilson.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
CJ is a top pass rusher due to length and most of all technique, so his injury does not concern me as much... just as the survey, since I do not need one to know he has shown to be a top 3 at getting at the QB

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

T-Sizzle and Bob Sanders to name more than one.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd put Sanders in that category. He was explosive when he played but he only played 50 games in 8 years. Suggs is a HOF anomaly that doesn't prove the rule.
Don't move the goal post, you said name one. I gave you two, even if you don't like Sanders, you can't deny Suggs.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don't move the goal post, you said name one. I gave you two, even if you don't like Sanders, you can't deny Suggs.
Fair, but you know he's an anomaly and freak. 1 guy out of I don't even know how many frankly. And I'd speculate that anyone that's ever come back is HOF. Even Adub was HOF and didn't come back. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair, but you know he's an anomaly and freak. 1 guy out of I don't even know how many frankly. And I'd speculate that anyone that's ever come back is HOF. Even Adub was HOF and didn't come back. It is what it is.

Background​

The purpose of this study was to determine whether surgical repair of distal biceps tendon ruptures in professional football players would lead to a decrease in postinjury performance when compared to preinjury performance and control-matched peers. We also sought to define return to sport, postinjury career length, and games played per season in National Football League players following surgical repair of distal biceps tendon ruptures.

Methods​

Data for National Football League players who underwent surgical repair of distal biceps tendon ruptures during a 20-year time period were collected. A total of 25 cases in 22 players were included in the analysis. Matched controls based on player position, age, experience, and performance statistics were identified. Performance scores for cases and controls were calculated using a standardized scoring system specific to player position.

Results​

Of the 25 cases, 21 (84%) were able to return to sport in the National Football League. The overall 1-year survival rate of return to play in players undergoing surgical repair of distal biceps tendon ruptures was 76% and overall 2-year survival was 56%. Players who underwent surgical repair of distal biceps tendon ruptures had significantly shorter postinjury career lengths and played fewer games per season postinjury than matched controls. There was no significant difference by position in postinjury performance scores when compared to matched controls.

Conclusion​

National Football League players undergoing surgical repair of distal biceps tendon ruptures have a high rate of return to sport, though many retire within the next few seasons following surgery. Players who do return to competition can be expected to perform at a level comparable to their peers.

This kinda goes against your theory. It makes sense that most retire within a few years after injury because most are older vets and the average play time for any NFL player is only 6 years anyway.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suggs tore his right bicep at age 30 and came back to register 10 sacks the next season.

Suggs tore his left bicep at age 34 and came back to register 11 sacks the next season.

So hardly all of them.
Yeah I know, I know, I just thought it sounded funny tbh ;)

Shane: I probably didn't express my point well, I just didn't think most players returned to their previous playing level after that injury. I'm sure most of them returned to play.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"bring me evidence that I will dismiss to further hedge my argument"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard