Suns @ Lakers Thursday Playoff game thread 6-3-2021 - Game 6

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And who is this young point guard they should sign?

If Paul opts out, we need to keep him. Trying to lowball him for a single season would be a huge mistake and set this franchise back years. He can stick around for $44 million so if he chooses to opt out it would be to sign long term. Chances are it will be less than his original deal but the amount will be in the same ballpark, $30 million+ a year at least.

Could of been Haliburton but Jones failed by drafting Smith.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think his shooting style is that funky. He's left handed so it looks different but its really not that weird. Compare his shot to Dragic's and its a little flatter but quite similar, IMO.

I think Dragic is a fair ceiling comparison for him as well. Not a great playmaker but capable, good outside shooter, and excels at getting to the basket.
Look at his footwork on jumpshots. It’s the opposite of textbook. And it’s a reason he’s not as effective with a pure pull-up jumper. That said the shot is obviously effective so I wouldn’t mess with it.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marcus was better in college. But that means nothing because Markieff was easily the better player early in their pro careers.
This is how I remember it early on as well. Marcus is definitely better now with them being separated it seems.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm with you about Haliburton but James Jones traded for Chris Paul and signed Cam Payne out of the G-League.

What's the saying, two out of three ain't bad.

I like what Jones has done, but they had a great chance to get their future point guard. I remember being on this site during the draft and most of us wanted Haliburton. Smith was a reach.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns need to push the pace and run the Lakers out of the gym. You have them on the ropes. Don't play the game where you trade baskets in the paint at such a slow pace. It will play into the Lakers hands. They want a close game where they can feed Lebron at the end. Force tempo, take care of the ball and we will win this series.

P.S. if AD plays they need to orchestrate some switches forcing him to cover laterally. With that groin? He won't be able to stop you. If he parks under the basket and doesn't have to move laterally he will still be effective.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what Jones has done, but they had a great chance to get their future point guard. I remember being on this site during the draft and most of us wanted Haliburton. Smith was a reach.

I'm one of the posters who were puzzled why the Suns didn't draft Haliburton. The Suns would be loaded at point guard if they had.

I liked Jalen Smith but I don't think he was BPA at #10.

However, I think we agree, we have to grade James Jones on the moves he did make.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it's still pretty obvious they thought Payne could be that. Contract aside, they are being proven right.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want the Suns to be like the Diamondbacks and sign a guy who is past his prime to a large, multi-year contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how I remember it early on as well. Marcus is definitely better now with them being separated it seems.

I still have trouble separating their personalities though. They left a sour taste in my mouth in their tenure with the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this is tongue in cheek or not, but Lakers are waaaay over the cap. The only chance something like this happens is a sign and trade with Schroeder which... um... no.

Schroeder is any expiring contract anyway.

If the Suns didn't keep Paul I think Cam Payne would become the starter and they would add a couple experienced point guards behind him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Lakers want to play small ball, the Suns have been playing small ball all season. The Lakers advantage has been size.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
If there is a familiar theme to all the Lakers teams I have followed over the years, they try to slam the door on you early.

If the Suns can keep their foot in the door, there is a good chance they can win.
Yep. I'm expecting to be punched in the mouth early. Just got to persevere and not back down. Let them know we're not going anywhere. Be relentless until they can't take it any more.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of the networks was mentioning that the Lakers do not have a single player on their roster that they drafted.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
However, they're equally irritating and faux tough guys.
Yeah... But to be fair, brothers can be like that. Especially when in the heat of competition. Could you imagine cheese/ouchie out there together? If they weren't out there driving each other nuts, I'm sure they'd be doing it to everyone else. :D:D

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. I'm expecting to be punched in the mouth early. Just got to persevere and not back down. Let them know we're not going anywhere. Be relentless until they can't take it any more.

I'm expecting the game to look a lot like game 4 of the playoffs with an ugly first half.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the networks was mentioning that the Lakers do not have a single player on their roster that they drafted.

I thought they drafted Kuzma but he was a draft day trade, D'Lo ans Mozgov for Kuzma and Brook Lopez. So Kuzma was drafted by Brooklyn, technically, but that is kind of splitting hairs, IMO. Technically Cam Johnson was selected by Minnesota.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not know what to expect. The Shroeder stuff, LeBron leaving early, the AD injury, and the look on LeBron's face all lead me to believe even the Lakers are convinced this is over.

But that is probably just wishful thinking.

It is probably a blowout for the Suns or a Laker win.

These injuries to LeBron and AD have the potential to be bad. Keep playing on a bad ankle and you can pop an Achilles or snap an ACL. Same for AD and the groin issue. They know they could be jeopardizing next year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A Lakers fan posting on the RealGM General Board about the game.

With AD and KCP both out, LeBron's ankle and our terrible supporting cast this season, only the refs can save us in Game 6 lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose