Suns @ Lakers Thursday Playoff game thread 6-3-2021 - Game 6

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No discussion of report that Paul wants to opt out of 44.2 and sign 3/100ish extension. I do that in a heartbeat and structure the money so I can give Payne 4/50ish this off-season.

Where did you see that?

I was kind of expecting something like that, but I am not nearly as anxious for the Suns to sign that deal as you seem to be.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Payne's signature move seems to be to attack the basket and score a layup without elevating at all (or slowing down at all). Because he does not jump, defenders cannot seem to time the block correctly. it is an interesting move.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how good he really is.

The dude has the ability to go around people at will - that is an insanely valuable trait. Throw in he is a 40% 3 point shooter and he could easily be a 20+ pt a game scorer.

I think he has gotten to the point of being a legit starting NBA guard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The dude has the ability to go around people at will - that is an insanely valuable trait. Throw in he is a 40% 3 point shooter and he could easily be a 20+ pt a game scorer.

If the Suns can keep Payne he will be looking for a shorter contract with an option. Maybe two years and the third year a player option.

A lot will depend upon what the Suns do with Chris Paul.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Look at their college games - Marcus was better. I think it surprised a LOT of people that markieff went first (by a single spot if memory serves).
Marcus was better in college. But that means nothing because Markieff was easily the better player early in their pro careers.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns can keep Payne he will be looking for a shorter contract with an option. Maybe two years and the third year a player option.

A lot will depend upon what the Suns do with Chris Paul.

I am worried Suns are going to lose him. It really depends on if he feels loyalty to the Suns, is happy with a sixth man role, and if the Suns are willing to pay up.

I think it is critical he is resigned if we are resigning Paul for 3 years, because I really am worried about father time taking a toll on Paul sooner rather than later.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am worried Suns are going to lose him. It really depends on if he feels loyalty to the Suns, is happy with a sixth man role, and if the Suns are willing to pay up.

I think it is critical he is resigned if we are resigning Paul for 3 years, because I really am worried about father time taking a toll on Paul sooner rather than later.

I think all of the above is true but if another team can pay him substantially more than the Suns and offer him a starting role, that's hard to turn down no matter how loyal you are.

My hope is another team doesn't offer him both.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m seeing a trend for a game and half. It’s kind of hard to ignore....the “others”for the lakers have failed to show up. It’s a trend I would like to see continue.:)

I’m sure Lebron will be a monster tonight, I’m not so sure the “others” will bring their A game tonight

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns should not sign Paul to a multi-year deal. For the money he is owed next year, they can spend that money on a younger point guard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m seeing a trend for a game and half. It’s kind of hard to ignore....the “others”for the lakers have failed to show up. It’s a trend I would like to see continue.:)

I’m sure Lebron will be a monster tonight, I’m not so sure the “others” will bring their A game tonight

If there is a familiar theme to all the Lakers teams I have followed over the years, they try to slam the door on you early.

If the Suns can keep their foot in the door, there is a good chance they can win.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If there is a familiar theme to all the Lakers teams I have followed over the years, they try to slam the door on you early.

If the Suns can keep their foot in the door, there is a good chance they can win.
Good point. I agree.
Hardest game of the series is tonight.:stick:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm so excited....... Can't contain myself.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns should not sign Paul to a multi-year deal. For the money he is owed next year, they can spend that money on a younger point guard.

This makes a lot of sense except the Suns went years without a good point guard. After that they signed Ricky Rubio who was solid but unspectacular.

Signing Cam Payne out of the G-League was a stroke of good fortune.

The Knicks have been shopping for a starting point guard seemingly forever.

If the Suns had drafted Haliburton they would be sitting pretty with a myriad of options but that's another story.

Bottom line, it's easier said than done.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And who is this young point guard they should sign?

If Paul opts out, we need to keep him. Trying to lowball him for a single season would be a huge mistake and set this franchise back years. He can stick around for $44 million so if he chooses to opt out it would be to sign long term. Chances are it will be less than his original deal but the amount will be in the same ballpark, $30 million+ a year at least.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I dunno about legitimate starting pg on a playoff team that needs consistent and high production from that slot, but he’s eons beyond where he was when he first joined us. I think a lot of reservations stem from his unorthodox shooting style and the funky manner in which he attacks the rim. As long as no one figures out how to stymie him in those elements, he’s definitely got a chance to be a good starter.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadoro thinks Marc Gasol might start tonight. I wouldn't be surprised either.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NY Knicks are going to be in the market for a point guard.

If Chris Paul opts out, the Knicks will probably be the Suns stiffest competition.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Marcus was better in college. But that means nothing because Markieff was easily the better player early in their pro careers.
I think a lot of that was opportunity. Markieff was given more minutes and relied upon for more production early. But he definitely produced more early. But from year 5 on Marcus has really out produced him. Crazy how their career numbers are almost carbon copies.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dunno about legitimate starting pg on a playoff team that needs consistent and high production from that slot, but he’s eons beyond where he was when he first joined us. I think a lot of reservations stem from his unorthodox shooting style and the funky manner in which he attacks the rim. As long as no one figures out how to stymie him in those elements, he’s definitely got a chance to be a good starter.

I don't think his shooting style is that funky. He's left handed so it looks different but its really not that weird. Compare his shot to Dragic's and its a little flatter but quite similar, IMO.

I think Dragic is a fair ceiling comparison for him as well. Not a great playmaker but capable, good outside shooter, and excels at getting to the basket.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave