Suns @ Kings Sunday game thread 12-27-2020

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Serge Ibaka 9 and 6 in playoffs two years ago. Champion.

Center is about so much more than scoring points. Otherwise KAT and Cousins would be getting rings every year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Bosh was the nominal center on the Heat championship teams. He was their third best player. He averaged 13 and 6reb in the two Finals’ runs. If Ayton can play great defense and be a 13 and 10 guy, I will be FINE.

Yeah... he was that on a team with one of the top 3 BEST PLAYERS OF ALL TIME... and another Superstar, Finals MVP, perennial 1st and 2nd Team All NBA.

this team doesn’t have ONE player like as incredible as LeBron/Wade, much less two of them.

jesus man... context matters.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It is crucially important that Monty continues to run actions to allow Mikal and Cam to attack the rim off the dribble. Let Ayton crash the glass, roll hard, protect the rim, and guard in space.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
oh man... that’s a hammer drop to the nuts.

and a perfect comparison as far as guy who puts up nice stats but makes very little impact in the game.
At this point it is what it is. He just has no internal drive, and I'm not going to bother caring anymore if he will. If we can parlay him Larry Nance style, do it. If not just try to take advantage of what he gives you and work around him.

I wouldn't bother with trying to fit the team around him, or make him any sort of centerpiece.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah... he was that on a team with one of the top 3 BEST PLAYERS OF ALL TIME... and another Superstar, Finals MVP, perennial 1st and 2nd Team All NBA.

this team doesn’t have ONE player like as incredible as LeBron/Wade, much less two of them.

jesus man... context matters.

calm down; there are countless other examples. Bosh was the first one that came to mind. Also, Wade was past his prime with Heat LBJ.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Extremely weird to complain about Ayton’s “drive” after a game in which he controls the glass and has zero turnovers.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In a way, and especially if Cam Payne keeps it up and Bridges and Johnson continue to improve, the Suns compare fairly similarly to Toronto.

Booker as lead alpha Kawhi
Paul as crafty table setter in Lowry
Ayton as Ibaka
Bridges/Cam as Siakim analogs
CamPayne as the FVV bench juice
Shooters like Galloway man the fort
Tough guys like Jae and Saric that don’t suck

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Bosh was the nominal center on the Heat championship teams. He was their third best player. He averaged 13 and 6reb in the two Finals’ runs. If Ayton can play great defense and be a 13 and 10 guy, I will be FINE.

Bosh was an All-Star by his third year and was averaging 20.5 PTS, 9.2 RBS, and was shooting 8.3 FTS per game.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bosh was an All-Star by his third year and was averaging 20.5 PTS and 9.2 RBS and was shooting 8.3 FTS per game.

And he was LOSING when it mattered.

Centers need to sublimate themselves to the team concept. Ayton gets this pretty well on offense and the glass. And he’s starting to get it on defense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a way, and especially if Cam Payne keeps it up and Bridges and Johnson continue to improve, the Suns compare fairly similarly to Toronto.

Booker as lead alpha Kawhi
Paul as crafty table setter in Lowry
Ayton as Ibaka
Bridges/Cam as Siakim analogs
CamPayne as the FVV bench juice
Shooters like Galloway man the fort
Tough guys like Jae and Saric that don’t suck

bizzaro 1sun strikes again!

Booker isn’t close to the player Kawhi is. Bridges and Cam are analogs to Siakim?! Cam Payne is like Fred Van Fleet?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ayton will get the max for his next contract, if not from the Suns, then from someone else. There's no point even debating it. Sure, he's mediocre, but two years from now he'll still be a great physical specimen with "potential." Look at the numbers that get thrown around each summer and tell me that Ayton won't be one of the top targets if he hits the open market.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Funny how @1Sun completely vanished when the Suns started playing well.

THAT’S why people give you so much crap dude. You are only on here to complain when things aren’t going well, proclaiming the end of the world and then disappear the second you might have to say you were wrong.

You must have missed my last post...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, like that's the best thing to do. Come on Ouchie.

Why are you trying to start a fight? If you don’t like Ouchie’s take on Ayton, talk about why you disagree. To instead just tell him to “give it a rest already!” Literally has nothing to do with talking basketball and is just telling someone to shut up.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ayton will get the max for his next contract, if not from the Suns, then from someone else. There's no point even debating it. Sure, he's mediocre, but two years from now he'll still be a great physical specimen with "potential." Look at the numbers that get thrown around each summer and tell me that Ayton won't be one of the top targets if he hits the open market.
He's mediocre? The game is played on both ends and while his offense may be lacking he is getting it done both on the board and as a defensive presence for us.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why are you trying to start a fight? If you don’t like Ouchie’s take on Ayton, talk about why you disagree. To instead just tell him to “give it a rest already!” Literally has nothing to do with talking basketball and is just telling someone to shut up.
Read into it how you will, that's your prerogative. I'm just tired of this board and every thread on it turning into an "Ayton sucks" diatribe. We get it you all don't like that he isn't living up to expectations. But do you have to continually post it over and over and over and over? I don't like that he's playing like a mediocre starting center, but I'm not whining about it in every post I ever write.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay you dragged me into it. Sub .500 shooting. Soft on offense. I’ve never seen a guy like him so consistently grab an offensive rebound and immediately pass it out as he does. And after improved FT #s the first and second games, zero. It feels like he’s settling into accepting not being an impact player but just a role player. That’s a tremendous disappointment if true.

That is something PJ Tucker could have taught him. He uses to drive me mad with how he would go up with it continually despite being the smallest guy in the area and getting it blocked frequently. Its like he didn't know you could pass out of offensive rebounds.

I do still hope he's bought out later in the year. I wouldn't mind seeing him return to Phoenix. I hope the suns can stay in the hunt and be an option for midseason buyouts. Been a long time since they've been a viable option for vets looking to latch onto a playoff team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns now win 10 out of 11 games and all I see is posts about Ayton. I swear we will win game 7 in the finals and people will be complaining about Ayton's 15 rebounds.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ayton is gonna be fine. We know hes not gonna be the savior of the team. Hes gonna have us pulling our hair out on some days and happy as hell the next. Do i want to see him claim the rim and make opponents fear the days they have to face him. Hell yeah i do. Would taking the ball to the rim and ripping that poo off kill you. Will i settle for 15 and 15? Yep!

He's 22 years old and has outplayed 90%/ 95% of the centers ever to hold a ball in the NBA at that age. He does stupid things fairly often but he will learn. When/if he and CP start to jell we will see good things from them.

Our arguably best Suns teams in history ran with Joe Kleine as a center who was no where near the center DA is. He's a good piece to have and he cant get worse.

P.S miss ya Joe

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He's mediocre? The game is played on both ends and while his offense may be lacking he is getting it done both on the board and as a defensive presence for us.

So we agree that he's above average defensively and below average offensively.