Kliff Kingsbury. Your review of him after year one?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Well, his LuLu Lemon pants and perfectly coiffed hair are ON POINT! His Barry White voice mixed with that slight Texas twang.. c’mon man... Kliff is the Koolest Kat of all NFL Koaches!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I have to grade on a bit of a curve, because i think last year Keim convinced Mike B that the team required a complete "start-over". As such, they hired a developmental HC in Kingsbury. 2019 was about him developing as a NFL HC, to be ready when the roster and the QB was ready in subsequent years.

The team played hard for him to the end. That says something. Look at the effort the Browns put out for Kitchens vs the Bengals.

Several players commented on how much they like the environment - so he may be a guy that FAs would want to play for.

He transitioned on the fly from 10 personnel to a run-oriented scheme that was successful. Top 5 running the ball per attempt, even subtracting K1s yards.

At least three or four times a game, you see plays that just pop people wide open for easy yards. That doesn't happen randomly.

I like that he plays who produces. It couldn't be easy to sit David Johnson and his $16mm, or, play Damiere Byrd over a Keim draft pick, or start Joe Walker over Reddick -- but he did.

I like that he basically strong armed K1 into playing when less than 100% in the last game. This was something that K1 needed to experience to mature -- and KK wasnt afraid to push the future face of the franchise.

high leverage football is where growth needs to come: 3rd down generally / 2 minute / 1 minute.

the Cards took a giant risk -- and thus far, KK has shown he isnt an imposter -- shows lots of promise, but still isnt a finished product. Would you rather have Adam Gase, or Zac Taylor, or Pat Shurmur?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
He definitely made some dumb rookie mistakes. I loved that he adapted as he found out you can’t just run 4 wide all the time. Loved that the team never quit on him. Can’t stand his hair.

I think he showed a lot of promise. Learns fast and isn’t stubborn. He definitely is a fun creative play caller. Which is the reason we wanted him in the first place. He and Kyler will be fun to watch for a long time I believe.

fix the D, add a RT, franchise DJ make him prove it one more year. Hope Isabella and Hakeem Butler make an impact next year

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
B- Between the 20s we looked pretty darn good at times. Run game also improved. Adaptability was great to see. Keeping this from a higher grade was red zone offense success, two minute offense.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
B for me because I believe he did better than I thought he would have and he did it with a very mediocre roster and a rookie QB.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I like that he basically strong armed K1 into playing when less than 100% in the last game. This was something that K1 needed to experience to mature -- and KK wasnt afraid to push the future face of the franchise.

high leverage football is where growth needs to come: 3rd down generally / 2 minute / 1 minute.

the Cards took a giant risk -- and thus far, KK has shown he isnt an imposter -- shows lots of promise, but still isnt a finished product. Would you rather have Adam Gase, or Zac Taylor, or Pat Shurmur?

1. You liked that? That is the worst possible thing I can expect from any coach in football at any level. If your guy says he doesn't feel right to go... don't send him out. Ever.

2. I wouldn't feel bad about swapping for any of those coaches right now, no.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
1. You liked that? That is the worst possible thing I can expect from any coach in football at any level. If your guy says he doesn't feel right to go... don't send him out. Ever.

I find the below to be pretty astounding to be honest. Zac Taylor has less experience than Kingsbury. Schumur has just been fired and Adam Gase is a head case living off a reputation from working with Peyton Manning.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Lol, Gase might be the most volatile HC in the league. That’s really the last HC I would swap Kliff or anyone else out with.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Also if he was our offensive coordinator he would totally be interviewed for a HC job. I am convinced a team would vulture him so it's probably a B+ at minimum
Completely agree if you have a young QB after one year as an OC doing what he did this year making adjustments mid stream. He would be doing at the minimum Browns and Giants interviews IMO would he get those jobs who knows, but it would be silly for a team with a young QB not to explore that option IMO. We weren't the only team he interviewed for last year I thought didn't he interview for Jets also?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don’t think it was strong armed. I think it was Kyler telling the staff I can’t do what I normally do. The staff convinced him they accept that and play within his limits. Valuable lesson learned is guess what, there are going to be times you are not going to be 100%.

Kyler responded throwing for two td’s and over 300 yards at 3/4 capacity. Yes , and two picks. But it forced him to stay in the pocket and make reads. kyler even alluded to the fact it was a beneficial experience.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I the below to be pretty astounding to be honest. Zac Taylor has less experience than Kingsbury. Schumur has just been fired and Adam Gase is a head case living off a reputation from working with Peyton Manning.
Zac Taylor has a ton more experience in the NFL compared to Kliff Kingsbury. 5 years of NFL coaching before being hired to KK's 0.

Shurmur is probably not the best head coach - he's had two shots and hasn't succeeded - but he manufactured one of the best offenses with the worst quarterbacking in a long time with the Vikings. He's been in two pretty godawful situations. Most importantly though - NFL experience.

Gase is a big challenge, and his eyes spook me, but still... NFL experience. He's been a good OC, and his record was at least middling as a head coach. Tons of NFL experience.

Kliff hasn't won anywhere, hasn't coached in the NFL until now, and his biggest claim to fame was being Brady's backup. I just don't see it changing.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zac Taylor has a ton more experience in the NFL compared to Kliff Kingsbury. 5 years of NFL coaching before being hired to KK's 0.

Shurmur is probably not the best head coach - he's had two shots and hasn't succeeded - but he manufactured one of the best offenses with the worst quarterbacking in a long time with the Vikings. He's been in two pretty godawful situations. Most importantly though - NFL experience.

Gase is a big challenge, and his eyes spook me, but still... NFL experience. He's been a good OC, and his record was at least middling as a head coach. Tons of NFL experience.

Kliff hasn't won anywhere, hasn't coached in the NFL until now, and his biggest claim to fame was being Brady's backup. I just don't see it changing.
So what you’re basically saying is that bad experience is better than no experience?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don’t think it was strong armed. I think it was Kyler telling the staff I can’t do what I normally do. The staff convinced him they accept that and play within his limits. Valuable lesson learned is guess what, there are going to be times you are not going to be 100%.

Kyler responded throwing for two td’s and over 300 yards at 3/4 capacity. Yes , and two picks. But it forced him to stay in the pocket and make reads. kyler even alluded to the fact it was a beneficial experience.
This is essentially how it likely played out to me as well. I don't think Kyler was ever saying that he didn't want to play, but just wasn't really sure if he should (based on not being able to run and risk of further injury). The staff simply convinced him that he would be fine and they could make it work without him being able to run. He played a pretty solid game considering he wasn't healthy and was limited physically against a good defense.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Lol, Gase might be the most volatile HC in the league. That’s really the last HC I would swap Kliff or anyone else out with.
See above... I don't love him. I just like NFL experience. I wouldn't actively pursue any guy, if that helps, but I would have placed them as a better hire than Kliff, and still feel like they'll match what he achieves as a head coach.

I sure hope it wasn't strong armed, just replying to @football karma. I applaud Kyler for coming out and playing well.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So what you’re basically saying is that bad experience is better than no experience?
I don't know how clearly exhibited success is "bad experience."

You don't rise up in the ranks at work by continuing to fail and not showing any development, in most cases. Unlike our coach.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
See above... I don't love him. I just like NFL experience. I wouldn't actively pursue any guy, if that helps, but I would have placed them as a better hire than Kliff, and still feel like they'll match what he achieves as a head coach.

I sure hope it wasn't strong armed, just replying to @football karma. I applaud Kyler for coming out and playing well.
I can’t get behind a coach whose former players have spoken out against him & has yet to achieve a top 20 offense since he stopped becoming Peyton Manning’s lackey. I would’ve fumed if he was our HC.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know how clearly exhibited success is "bad experience."

You don't rise up in the ranks at work by continuing to fail and not showing any development, in most cases. Unlike our coach.
I’m not sure what Gase or Taylor have shown to be successful at in the NFL without being a lackey to a HOF QB who made every HC looked good.

I guess we have very different views on HCs. Adaptability is the #1 trait I look for in a HC. That’s why I don’t like HCs like Rivera, Gase, & currently Zimmer. They don’t do that.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I’m not sure what Gase or Taylor have shown to be successful at in the NFL without being a lackey to a HOF QB who made every HC looked good.

I guess we have very different views on HCs. Adaptability is the #1 trait I look for in a HC. That’s why I don’t like HCs like Rivera, Gase, & currently Zimmer. They don’t do that.
Adaptability is important, but so is experience to adapt. I think our coach would be an awesome OC, and is willing to change things up. He'll probably get a job after he gets fired here, for not being able to manage the overall game. And yeah, I know I'm going way over the top saying that. I'm pushing up the dials on my real opinion for the sake of argument. I just wish this was Lincoln Riley we were talking about, and not Kliff.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Adaptability is important, but so is experience to adapt. I think our coach would be an awesome OC, and is willing to change things up. He'll probably get a job after he gets fired here, for not being able to manage the overall game. And yeah, I know I'm going way over the top saying that. I'm pushing up the dials on my real opinion for the sake of argument. I just wish this was Lincoln Riley we were talking about, and not Kliff.
“Experience to adapt” What?

I can’t help but to think you would be disappointed that if Lincoln Riley put up the same exact record as Kliff his first year here. You would probably have 2nd thoughts & question he was only successful because pretty much all the high-profiled Big 12 recruits go to Oklahoma regardless of who’s coaching.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
“Experience to adapt” What?

I can’t help but to think you would be disappointed that if Lincoln Riley put up the same exact record as Kliff his first year here. You would probably have 2nd thoughts & question he was only successful because pretty much all the high-profiled Big 12 recruits go to Oklahoma regardless of who’s coaching.
By experience to adapt, I mean not relying on someone like Tom Clements to tell you what's going to work in the NFL and what isn't.

I'd have loved Riley. He might not kill it, but at least he's somewhere in the apex of college football, not a perennial loser (I kinda feel bad saying that, Kliff isn't a loser of a person, I just don't like his record) who couldn't get another job at that level. KK has never shown he can win at any level. I think he'd be a great OC, and maybe even a good HC with some more experience.

KK's the poor man's Riley, and I don't think you can tell me there's a single team that would have chosen Kliff over Lincoln if they had the chance last year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
this is an odd comment considering he’s not the one throwing the passes
I laugh at all of these similar comments. Every play has multiple options, and the QB determines which option is thrown to. Same with the 2 min drill, almost exclusively on the QB.

You can blame Kingsbury for the lack of situational football prep, but he also had an entire scheme to install as well.

People blamed the line until statsbcame out that Murray was taking unnecessary sacks. People blaming the head coach when it might just be the inexperienced QB as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I laugh at all of these similar comments. Every play has multiple options, and the QB determines which option is thrown to. Same with the 2 min drill, almost exclusively on the QB.

You can blame Kingsbury for the lack of situational football prep, but he also had an entire scheme to install as well.

People blamed the line until statsbcame out that Murray was taking unnecessary sacks. People blaming the head coach when it might just be the inexperienced QB as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chopper, what's your opinion of Kliff? Are you ok with his as our head coach?

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m going to give him a B-.

Keeping this team together while he was learning to me was huge.
He adapted his vision as the season wore on.
I love the fact that he takes responsibility for some of the shortcomings.
Play calling improved as did the whole team.

Shortcomings.
two minute offense
Needs to improve screens
Needs to utilize te even more.
Don’t agree not giving a few youngsters a few more opportunities especially Issabella and Galliard.

Also not sure about some personnel moves like cutting Cooper. Was that his decision or just a numbers game?

It was pretty impressive when you stop to think about it...Especially in comparison to a Freddy Kitchens who had more talent but couldn’t keep his team together through the adversity.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
D.

He had some horrible in-game choices, and I don't think he knows how to coach in a two minute situation.

The biggest flaw he has is not really contributing to the defense in any way. I don't think he is a "CEO" in the way that a head coach needs to be. This was his struggle in college, and will be his struggle in the NFL.

I like him as a person, and for his demeanor, I just don't think he has it in him to be a successful HC. Great win against the Seahawks though.
Most rookie, and some veteran, coaches would have lost the locker room during that losing streak, but KK didn't...he held the team together and deserves a ton of credit for that. I think he has the potential to really be a special coach when it's all said and done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk