The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never thought of him as a dominant center like Shaq.

If he had stayed healthy it might have helped.

Oh sure, injuries ruined his career. I just don't believe he was ever a top 20 player but his accolades (5 time All NBA for example) suggest otherwise.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Oh sure, injuries ruined his career. I just don't believe he was ever a top 20 player but his accolades (5 time All NBA for example) suggest otherwise.
I don’t think you remember pre-injury Howard. The dude that took the magic to the finals.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Grizz would be so glad to get ride of the guy and the Lakers would love to have him. This is a trade made in paradise. Howard last play in Charlotte where he played well, I think he would help the Lakers. Its all about money but it will happen.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dwight was always a force to reckon with on defense but his offensive game never came around like some had hoped. He could grab 14-15 boards a night and get 2-3 blocks without much effort but he couldn't provide more than 12-16 points or so unless a team played through him almost exclusively. He did his best when the Magic surrounded him with multiple distributors like Jameer Nelson and Hedo but they needed to concede to him a lot. If you look at his best scoring seasons it was on the Magic and they had multiple players averaging more than 5 assists a game.

When he went to the Lakers his lack of offensive game was exposed because they weren't going to tailor their offense around him. In response he complained about his touches, which made it seem like he capable of doing more than they allowed but based on how that year and every year since has played out, it was clear that it was Dwight that lacked the offensive game that warranted the touches he called for.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember experts wondering who was the better center? Howard or Bynum? Seems like decades ago. Geez I am getting old.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember experts wondering who was the better center? Howard or Bynum? Seems like decades ago. Geez I am getting old.

Both never lived up to expectations, Bynum somewhat mentally but mostly physically. Howard mostly mentally, but he did have the back thing and lack of offensive skills.

Howard was a weird guy, he was so likable when he started with the magic then a switch flipped and you just rooted against him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The grass is not always greener elsewhere. Howard has found out the hard way.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His back injuries sapped his athletisim.

And I think he was liked early in his career in part because of his goofy, childish persona, but it turns out that is all there was to him. There are a lot of immature guys in the league but I've heard Dwight wasn't the typical kind of immature... he was like dealing with an 8 year old.

His hatchet job on Van Gundy was one of the ugliest coach killings in league history.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

The third wheel in that trade was Vucevic, who has turned out to have the greatest value.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Unfortunately Dwight's entire game was predicated on the fact that he was a physical freak of nature. Once his injuries took that away he never really had anything else to rely on. That coupled with his attitude/work ethic really derailed a once-promising career.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
DPOY, 5 time All-NBA 1st Team, Total wierdo that never knew how to fit in to a locker room.

That's his resume. And he will definitely make the HOF

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unfortunately Dwight's entire game was predicated on the fact that he was a physical freak of nature. Once his injuries took that away he never really had anything else to rely on. That coupled with his attitude/work ethic really derailed a once-promising career.
Hmm. Kinda sounds like a recent #1 pick. I guess Zion has more skills.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The new owner of the Coyotes is getting a honeymoon from the fans. Quite the difference than the Sarver effect.

Sarver was "awesome" in his first year, too. We had Nash and Amare and JJ hadn't quite blown up yet. Then the WC Finals happened, and JJ hapenened, and the chicken happened, and....

I wish Meruelo the best.
And the 'Yotes, of course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ty Lue becomes top assistant coach for the Clippers. Good bounce-back for Lue.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ty Lue becomes top assistant coach for the Clippers. Good bounce-back for Lue.

I skimmed over this so fast yesterday on FB, that i assumed it meant he was top assistant for the lakers given his previous relationship with lebruh.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I skimmed over this so fast yesterday on FB, that i assumed it meant he was top assistant for the lakers given his previous relationship with lebruh.

At least for the time being it appears the Lakers have burned their bridges with Lue. We shall see though. If things go south with the Lakers who knows.

It makes me wonder if Lue was that close to Lebron, why didn't he get the head coaching job with the Lakers?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least for the time being it appears the Lakers have burned their bridges with Lue. We shall see though. If things go south with the Lakers who knows.

It makes me wonder if Lue was that close to Lebron, why didn't he get the head coaching job with the Lakers?
I thought he turned them down.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he turned them down.

From a technical standpoint Lue turned down the Lakers offer to be the next head coach but I suspect it was because they couldn't reach an agreement. It was reported Lue wanted a 5 year contract not the 3 year contract offered.

Lue and his representatives turned down the Lakers' offer Tuesday, league sources said. The Lakers then on Wednesday offered Lue a deal in the range of three years and $18 million, after which Lue's side pulled out of negotiations.

According to the sources, Lue's camp was seeking a five-year deal with a salary commensurate with a championship résumé.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26702963/lakers-lue-end-talks-deal-sources-say

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA