The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

I liked him when he was here. I know he had a bit of a bad reputation when he came here but he fell in line and played backup PG quite well, compared to what we had prior to him. He was never going to live up to the hype he had entering the league but it seemed like it clicked for him in his time as a Sun that he could have a decent career as a role playing backup but it seemed like his time in Phoenix was the exception as far as he resorted to thinking he was better than he was as soon as his deal was up.

In looking up more info on this incident though it appears he had a previous offense in 2007 for criminal possession of a weapon, which was him having a handgun during another traffic stop. He received 3 years probation for that so he should have known better. Here's a link to that, it says the same thing that article does but mentions the other arrest at the bottom. He doesn't deserve 3 years in prison but he also needs to learn not to be driving around with a gun, especially when he's smoking pot, which is apparently what he was doing during this recent arrest.

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

It's ironic with all the gun related violence in the United States there is such a disparity of gun enforcement laws around the country.

This is what caught my attention.

I'm not sure where the 2007 arrest occurred.

3. Hoop Head

I decided to do some digging and apparently he pled guilty to that in 2008 but the original arrest was in Yonkers, New York. So this latest charge is more than likely the same jurisdiction. I know Yonkers is a suburb of sorts to New York City.

The article is from a Boston newspaper because he played for the Celtics then.

https://www.boston.com/sports/celtics-blog/2007/04/20/telfair_arreste

Semi-related, it appears in 2006, a year before his first weapons charge, he was robbed outside of a nightclub. Apparently someone was shot outside of that same club that night so he is kind of lucky he was only robbed.

Here is some pieces by ESPN regarding that...
    https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=2630170
    and
    https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=2632410

It appears he finds himself around trouble a fair bit. I'm still surprised he'll serve 3+ years in prison given that he's a semi-celebrity but apparently New York doesn't care with their mandatory minimums.

4. Hoop Head

Mainstreet likes this.
  5. Mainstreet

The gun laws in New York are very strict. He should have known better especially after being placed on probation for the first gun violation after he was arrested in 2007.

What I found interesting is the variation of gun laws around the country. If the U.S. ever decides to get serious about gun regulation they should look at jurisdictions like New York.

6. Mainstreet

7. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

8. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I still don't get the Knicks trading this guy away.

9. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I didn't "get" the trade they actually made but I certainly understood the decision to trade the guy. A troublesome relationship with the guy's "manager" brother, a history of nagging injuries in addition to his ACL tear along with the worrisome medical history of players his size and the fact he demanded a trade and had previously shut off communication with the front office sets the table for a trade AFAIC.

10. Superbone

Superbone Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan

Not to mention the rape allegations.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  11. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

I think it was mostly because of the Knicks continued misconception that stars are desperate to play there and that they needed the cap space to land a superstar free agent or 2.

Now that reality has given them it's bi-yearly slap in the face I suspect they'd give up a kidney to undo that trade.

But I would like to note that I think those "JACKED UP!" pictures of guys in the middle of a workout are a farce. Anyone looks a helluva lot stronger during and after an intense workout than before they start.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  12. Mainstreet

In terms of acquiring a star, the Mavericks stole Porzingis from the Knicks. As Phrazbit notes, I bet they wish they could undo the trade. Mark up another smart move for Mark Cuban.

13. Mainstreet

The Lakers DeMarcus Cousins suffers possible knee injury.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Lakers center DeMarcus Cousins has suffered a possible knee injury and will undergo further testing today in Los Angeles, league sources tell ESPN. Cousins was working out in Las Vegas on Monday when he had to leave the court, sources said. He signed a one-year deal in July.

8:10 AM - 15 Aug 2019

14. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Well that is not good news.

Mainstreet likes this.
  15. Mainstreet

Agree, not good news for Cousins. I never wish injury for a player

As for the Lakers.... no sympathy for them.

I still can't believe they traded Zubac for next to nothing.

Ronin likes this.