The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

six seasons from LA not the league. Lakers are in trouble

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

3. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

The Lakers don’t put a lot of value in chemistry whether it’s players, how the coaching staff is structured or what impact outside influences like Rich Paul have on day to day morale. If Lebron and AD are their old selves it won’t matter but that’s not a sure thing anymore.

4. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

The Grizzlies are holding onto Iguodala in hopes he can bring a return in a trade, even though most thought he'd be bought out quickly. They didn't waive Dwight Howard either. Why is it the Lakers are welcome to speak to him about striking a deal? I understand they only got permission to speak to him but that wouldn't be reported f they wanted to see if he would be ok with a trade to the Lakers. I hope there is another owner who raises a stink over this. The Lakers seem to be the only team that is able to act like this so there is no reason for the other 29 franchises to let it stand. At best there are maybe 2 or 3 other teams who might be able to do something similar but the medium and small market teams aren't afforded this luxury.

I know the Lakers really don't have anything to trade for Dwight, or anyone really, but that's their problem. They shouldn't be free to recruit players under contract elsewhere simply because they don't have any tradable assets. I'm a bit baffled as to why the Grizzlies would allow this also. What do they gain?

5. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Probably because Howard has no value and is locker room poison.

I don’t think anything shady is going on. The grizz are hoping Howard will agree to a favorable buy out knowing the lakers would sign him.

6. Mainstreet

I don't think there is much demand for Howard and most teams are waiting for him to get bought out by the Grizzlies.

IMO, it's mostly about the Grizzlies saving a couple of million.

The Lakers may be the only team where he would go and accept a larger buy-out. It could be this is the working of an agent behind the scene.

7. Mainstreet

Trying to read between the lines on this tweet but other teams can speak to Howard as well but I'm guessing Howard prefers to go to the Lakers.

Ramona Shelburne‏Verified account @ramonashelburne

Regarding the Lakers and Dwight Howard, a team source says their interest is more “due diligence “ after the Boogie injury. Memphis has granted permission for Dwight and his camp to speak to teams, one of which is the Lakers.

4:31 PM - 18 Aug 2019

8. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

What in the world has happened to Dwight Howard? How did he decline so fast?

9. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Attitude, serious injuries plus, IMO, he was never really as dominant as his reputation and numbers suggested.

10. Mainstreet

I never thought of him as a dominant center like Shaq.

If he had stayed healthy it might have helped.

11. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Oh sure, injuries ruined his career. I just don't believe he was ever a top 20 player but his accolades (5 time All NBA for example) suggest otherwise.

12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I don’t think you remember pre-injury Howard. The dude that took the magic to the finals.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  13. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

Grizz would be so glad to get ride of the guy and the Lakers would love to have him. This is a trade made in paradise. Howard last play in Charlotte where he played well, I think he would help the Lakers. Its all about money but it will happen.

14. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

Dwight was always a force to reckon with on defense but his offensive game never came around like some had hoped. He could grab 14-15 boards a night and get 2-3 blocks without much effort but he couldn't provide more than 12-16 points or so unless a team played through him almost exclusively. He did his best when the Magic surrounded him with multiple distributors like Jameer Nelson and Hedo but they needed to concede to him a lot. If you look at his best scoring seasons it was on the Magic and they had multiple players averaging more than 5 assists a game.

When he went to the Lakers his lack of offensive game was exposed because they weren't going to tailor their offense around him. In response he complained about his touches, which made it seem like he capable of doing more than they allowed but based on how that year and every year since has played out, it was clear that it was Dwight that lacked the offensive game that warranted the touches he called for.

15. Ronin

Ronin Registered

I remember experts wondering who was the better center? Howard or Bynum? Seems like decades ago. Geez I am getting old.