The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Curry had 11 3's and 37, the last 2 threes he hit were just unreal. On the first he was jumping back trying to draw contact from behind, he hit the shot and fell almost face first. The 2nd was the fallback into the Wolves bench that tied it.

As someone who doesn't watch a lot of Warriors games, I think 80% of Curry's 3's are unreal. If you think only 2 of his 11 were then that's probably a sign you watch too much Warriors basketball. ;)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who doesn't watch a lot of Warriors games, I think 80% of Curry's 3's are unreal. If you think only 2 of his 11 were then that's probably a sign you watch too much Warriors basketball. ;)

I get that yes he makes some crazy ones but these were just not of this earth. The first one he was trying so hard to draw a foul jumping back into the defender behind him that his legs kicked out and he fell face first. He actually hit hard enough he got up limping.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well about 8 of his makes last night were basic catch and shoot threes on open looks. Yes he makes a lot of crazy ones, but a vast majority of them are pretty straight forward shots.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well about 8 of his makes last night were basic catch and shoot threes on open looks. Yes he makes a lot of crazy ones, but a vast majority of them are pretty straight forward shots.

The distance he's able to pull up from is unreal and sometimes the defense he's facing is also. I didn't buy into the whole "Best shooter in NBA history" hype at first but I've fallen onto that bandwagon now. It doesn't seem to matter if he's smothered or is 40 from the basket, he'll take it and make it at rate higher than some players shoot free throws.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The distance he's able to pull up from is unreal and sometimes the defense he's facing is also. I didn't buy into the whole "Best shooter in NBA history" hype at first but I've fallen onto that bandwagon now. It doesn't seem to matter if he's smothered or is 40 from the basket, he'll take it and make it at rate higher than some players shoot free throws.

I still say the thing people miss the most with Curry is his ability to make shots at the rim. Outside of Rod Strickland I'm not sure I've seen anybody able to make contested shots look easy at his size on drives to the rim. Kyrie I guess is right there too. Steph's left hand is unreal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lebron will miss the remainder of the season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Probably not a coincidence that this comes immediately after the players reportedly aired their grievances to/about Lebron.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not a coincidence that this comes immediately after the players reportedly aired their grievances to/about Lebron.

It's amazing how the Lakers have turned one of the best players in the game into a problem.

I can see where players may not want to play for the Lakers next season.

It couldn't happen to a better team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how the Lakers have turned one of the best players in the game into a problem.

I can see where players may not want to play for the Lakers next season.

It couldn't happen to a better team.

Perhaps I misunderstood you but I don't really think the Lakers are responsible for Lebron becoming a problem. Whether it was Rich Paul or Lebron that leaked the Davis trade demand we may never know but between that and Lebron's injury they went from being playoff bound to dysfunction city almost overnight. Regardless, like you I shed no tears over the demise of Lakers 2019. Hope 2020 follows a similar path for them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I misunderstood you but I don't really think the Lakers are responsible for Lebron becoming a problem. Whether it was Rich Paul or Lebron that leaked the Davis trade demand we may never know but between that and Lebron's injury they went from being playoff bound to dysfunction city almost overnight. Regardless, like you I shed no tears over the demise of Lakers 2019. Hope 2020 follows a similar path for them.

I think the Lakers created their own problem. They added Lebron to a promising group of young players and then proceeded to make a mess of the matter.

They reportedly offered up a number of their good young players in pursuit of Anthony Davis and when they were unable to consummate the deal they were left with scrambled eggs. The Lakers ruined their own chemistry.

For most teams, I think they would have been happy with Lebron as their primary target... at least for one season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kristaps Porzingis is accused of rape per as ESPN story.

Dallas Mavericks forward Kristaps Porzingis is being investigated in New York for an alleged rape that a woman told police took place last year, according to a New York Post report.

The woman told police on Thursday about the alleged attack, according to the Post report, which cited law enforcement sources. The woman reportedly told police that she waited more than a year to come forward because she had discussed getting $68,000 from Porzingis to keep quiet.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26401287/porzingis-accused-rape-new-york

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the last 2 minute review the NBA says they made the right call and that Durant had not started his upward shooting motion. I don't agree but that's what they say

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dallas Mavericks forward Kristaps Porzingis is being investigated in New York for an alleged rape that a woman told police took place last year, according to a New York Post report.

The woman told police on Thursday about the alleged attack, according to the Post report, which cited law enforcement sources. The woman reportedly told police that she waited more than a year to come forward because she had discussed getting $68,000 from Porzingis to keep quiet.

I wonder if the Knicks were aware of this when they traded him. Surely that will cause Dallas to think twice before offering him the max. I think he would have received the max 2-3 years ago but any team that makes that offer now will be torn apart by the media, and rightfully so. Combine this with his injury though and his trade value is next to nothing, which is what Dallas gave up for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the Knicks were aware of this when they traded him. Surely that will cause Dallas to think twice before offering him the max. I think he would have received the max 2-3 years ago but any team that makes that offer now will be torn apart by the media, and rightfully so. Combine this with his injury though and his trade value is next to nothing, which is what Dallas gave up for him.

Maybe this is why Dallas got Porzingis for such a reasonable trade.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe this is why Dallas got Porzingis for such a reasonable trade.

Yeah I was just reading up on it and it seems New York made them aware of it during the official call with the league to get the trade approved. That's a hell of a time to let them know why they were able to pay pennies on the dollar. I can't see this ending well for Dallas.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lmao seriously?

You actually think this will effect what Dallas is going to pay him? Am I getting this right this girl says she was raped last year but didn’t come forward because she was trying to get 68,000 dollars from him to keep quiet?

Are you f’ing Kidding me? Yeah no.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think I would have said "groin injury".

I am glad I don’t have to investigate this crap. Is it about an abuse entitled young multimillionaire or a gold digging ex something or other? You have to take every accusation seriously but you cannot believe accusations without evidence.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
That ESPN quote regarding the NY Post story is off. There is nothing in the story that says she told the police she had asked Porzingis for hush money... and one can hardly imagine she would tell the police such a thing as part of her allegation.

More accurately, all of that element is a counter-allegation by Porzingis and his lawyer, and ESPN (as per its usual journalistic standard) is conflating and mis-reporting the story. The NY Post story also mentions that she alleges Porzingis punched her and that the police have found her story to be "credible."

Of course, there is no way to know which of them is telling the truth at this juncture, and Porzingis may eventually be cleared. But it certainly doesn't seem to help that ESPN is reporting the attorney's allegations as being factual elements of the case when there are currently no grounds to do so.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am glad I don’t have to investigate this crap. Is it about an abuse entitled young multimillionaire or a gold digging ex something or other? You have to take every accusation seriously but you cannot believe accusations without evidence.

Reading up on the accusation, apparently Porzingis tried buying her silence by offering to pay for her brothers college tuition but then never followed through with it. Based on that it doesn't appear to be as clear as the reports state how she demanded $68k from him since she wasn't after cash. The woman lives in the same apartment building as Porzingis as well, which would lead you to believe she's not doing too bad financially herself. I know that's not enough to determine guilt or innocence but it does add a few layers to it.

Porzingis seems to be the first big name athlete facing sexual assault allegations since the MeToo movement has caught on. There has been numerous Hollywood people who have had their careers damaged beyond repair because of allegations alone, and some less than what KP is accused of. Who knows how this plays out, ultimately, but since he's a RFA this offseason that is coming off of an ACL tear the market for him was going to be odd anyways. There was talk of him accepting the qualifying offer so he could be unrestricted next summer right after he was traded to Dallas but this could change that.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Reading up on the accusation, apparently Porzingis tried buying her silence by offering to pay for her brothers college tuition but then never followed through with it. Based on that it doesn't appear to be as clear as the reports state how she demanded $68k from him since she wasn't after cash. The woman lives in the same apartment building as Porzingis as well, which would lead you to believe she's not doing too bad financially herself. I know that's not enough to determine guilt or innocence but it does add a few layers to it.

Precisely... see my post right above yours. ESPN's reporting on the story is absolutely inaccurate and irresponsible after one investigates the further details.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I would have said "groin injury".

This can be very frustrating for fans to agonize over as well.

I think it took the criminal charges against the Morris twins a couple of years to play out before they were acquitted by a jury.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cousins ejected for whacking a dude in the head.

Even with his rep, I could give him the benefit of the doubt... if not for that he whacked Hernangomez in the face... twice. His excuse is that he was boxing out, but you don't box out by flailing at a dude's head and it really seemed like that he made a more aggressive swipe at Willie's head when his first effort to whack him was merely a glancing blow.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the women involved in the Porzingis situation wanted the Knicks to mediate payment.

Here are a couple of excerpts from an ESPN article:

Eight months after a 29-year-old woman said that NBA star Kristaps Porzingis sexually assaulted her inside his apartment, she contacted the New York Knicks' legal department to seek to "mediate in private" a payment of $68,000, according to emails obtained by ESPN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the emails, the woman, who lived in the same apartment building as Porzingis, told the Knicks that she went to Porzingis' apartment to get his autograph in the late-night hours after Porzingis suffered a serious knee injury at Madison Square Garden on Feb. 6, 2018. After what the woman told the Knicks was an "extremely aggressive encounter," she said Porzingis agreed to co-sign a statement with her that promised his payment of $68,000.

Porzingis' attorney, in a statement to ESPN, said he believes the document is "a forgery."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26414381/woman-wanted-knicks-mediate-porzingis

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cousins ejected for whacking a dude in the head.

Even with his rep, I could give him the benefit of the doubt... if not for that he whacked Hernangomez in the face... twice. His excuse is that he was boxing out, but you don't box out by flailing at a dude's head and it really seemed like that he made a more aggressive swipe at Willie's head when his first effort to whack him was merely a glancing blow.

I found a video of the incident. Cousins seems to find ways that could lower his market value.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard