The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the women involved in the Porzingis situation wanted the Knicks to mediate payment.

Here are a couple of excerpts from an ESPN article:

Eight months after a 29-year-old woman said that NBA star Kristaps Porzingis sexually assaulted her inside his apartment, she contacted the New York Knicks' legal department to seek to "mediate in private" a payment of $68,000, according to emails obtained by ESPN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the emails, the woman, who lived in the same apartment building as Porzingis, told the Knicks that she went to Porzingis' apartment to get his autograph in the late-night hours after Porzingis suffered a serious knee injury at Madison Square Garden on Feb. 6, 2018. After what the woman told the Knicks was an "extremely aggressive encounter," she said Porzingis agreed to co-sign a statement with her that promised his payment of $68,000.

Porzingis' attorney, in a statement to ESPN, said he believes the document is "a forgery."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26414381/woman-wanted-knicks-mediate-porzingis

Wow. Am I the only one that finds both stories to lack credibility? I tend to believe the "victim" most of the time but this one is just weird. I guess I'd lean towards Kristap's side but I wouldn't bet a nickel either way.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its bazaar because he just tore is ACL. And to have her over or for him to do something physical in that state.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Am I the only one that finds both stories to lack credibility? I tend to believe the "victim" most of the time but this one is just weird. I guess I'd lean towards Kristap's side but I wouldn't bet a nickel either way.

Without taking sides there was a price attached to the act so this doesn't make it rape in my book and reportedly there was a desire by the woman to have a relationship.

By the way, I keep asking myself who was Kevin Johnson trying to lift as you mentioned in an earlier post. I should know the answer. For some reason Tisdale comes to mind.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reading up on the accusation, apparently Porzingis tried buying her silence by offering to pay for her brothers college tuition but then never followed through with it. Based on that it doesn't appear to be as clear as the reports state how she demanded $68k from him since she wasn't after cash. The woman lives in the same apartment building as Porzingis as well, which would lead you to believe she's not doing too bad financially herself. I know that's not enough to determine guilt or innocence but it does add a few layers to it.

Porzingis seems to be the first big name athlete facing sexual assault allegations since the MeToo movement has caught on. There has been numerous Hollywood people who have had their careers damaged beyond repair because of allegations alone, and some less than what KP is accused of. Who knows how this plays out, ultimately, but since he's a RFA this offseason that is coming off of an ACL tear the market for him was going to be odd anyways. There was talk of him accepting the qualifying offer so he could be unrestricted next summer right after he was traded to Dallas but this could change that.
She admittedly tried to extort money from him, whether it happened or not. Extortion does not necessarily mean guilt at all in Kristaps part. I do think it is fascinating that this happened the night he blew out his knee. I have no idea what to make of that. Any of you blow an ACL? Were you up to raping your neighbor that night? (that that you would of course). That just seems odd to me.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
She admittedly tried to extort money from him, whether it happened or not. Extortion does not necessarily mean guilt at all in Kristaps part. I do think it is fascinating that this happened the night he blew out his knee. I have no idea what to make of that. Any of you blow an ACL? Were you up to raping your neighbor that night? That just seems odd to me.
What seems odd to me is that she decided to go to his place "in the late night hours" to get his autograph? I am not saying that what she is alleging isn't true, but that sure seems like a ********** type situation to me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She admittedly tried to extort money from him, whether it happened or not. Extortion does not necessarily mean guilt at all in Kristaps part. I do think it is fascinating that this happened the night he blew out his knee. I have no idea what to make of that. Any of you blow an ACL? Were you up to raping your neighbor that night? (that that you would of course). That just seems odd to me.

Did she? Depending on which story you read I'm not sure that's the case. The stories are all over the map, some of the accounts make her story seem very fishy, some not so much. I think one account even said that Kristaps initiated the settlement offer.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What seems odd to me is that she decided to go to his place "in the late night hours" to get his autograph? I am not saying that what she is alleging isn't true, but that sure seems like a ********** type situation to me.

And maybe it was but if KP then resorted to un-agreed "violence" then rape is back on the table. But then there's the report that says they stayed together after the sex act and that she wanted more contact with him. It's just a crazy story.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without taking sides there was a price attached to the act so this doesn't make it rape in my book and reportedly there was a desire by the woman to have a relationship.

By the way, I keep asking myself who was Kevin Johnson trying to lift as you mentioned in an earlier post. I should know the answer. For some reason Tisdale comes to mind.

I originally typed in Oliver Miller and then started to second guess myself so I went the ambiguous route instead. But still, I'm pretty sure it was Oliver in his rookie season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And after waiting 8 months before asking the Knicks to mediate the matter sounds like much like a contract dispute to me.

Such a contract would likely be illegal because allegedly a sex act was involved.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, sure, if the price was attached prior to the act but I've seen nothing to suggest that was the case.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I originally typed in Oliver Miller and then started to second guess myself so I went the ambiguous route instead. But still, I'm pretty sure it was Oliver in his rookie season.

That was one of my other thoughts but then I talked myself out of it. I think you are right, it was Oliver Miller.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And after waiting 8 months before asking the Knicks to mediate the matter sounds like much like a contract dispute to me.

Such a contract would likely be illegal because allegedly a sex act was involved.

She claims he forced the act, offered payment afterwards to smooth over the issue and signed an agreement to that effect. And she finally contacted the Knicks after he defaulted on the agreement. That's her side and it's rape if she's telling the truth but it doesn't sound believable to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, sure, if the price was attached prior to the act but I've seen nothing to suggest that was the case.

I look to the written contract if there is a difference of opinion and lack of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Of course there are questions about the contract being forged.

However, as I view it, the contract does not support rape. The contract presented does not work to her advantage.

I guess the woman did see a doctor later on and had surgery but without knowing more this is nebulous. Maybe she wins in civil action but I can't see criminal prosecution.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look to the written contract if there is a difference of opinion and lack of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Of course there are questions about the contract being forged.

However, as I view it, the contract does not support rape. The contract presented does not work to her advantage.

I guess the woman did see a doctor later on and had surgery but without knowing more this is nebulous. Maybe she wins in civil action but I can't see criminal prosecution.

I am probably misunderstanding you but it seems to me that you're suggesting that the simple act of agreeing to compensation after the fact takes rape off the table? I agree with your overall points on this but what they do after the act has no bearing on whether it's rape.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She claims he forced the act, offered payment afterwards to smooth over the issue and signed an agreement to that effect. And she finally contacted the Knicks after he defaulted on the agreement. That's her side and it's rape if she's telling the truth but it doesn't sound believable to me.

Relying upon payment muddies the water on the allegation of rape. If it is a contract for sex it is illegal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am probably misunderstanding you but it seems to me that you're suggesting that the simple act of agreeing to compensation after the fact takes rape off the table? I agree with your overall points on this but what they do after the act has no bearing on whether it's rape.

I think with disputing evidence it would be hard to get a conviction on rape beyond a reasonable doubt standard.

In civil court it is a preponderance of the evidence so she may have a chance to win there.

I'm not saying a rape may not have occurred but with the contract and the reported desire for an ongoing relationship it takes away from the argument of rape.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think with disputing evidence it would be hard to get a conviction on rape beyond a reasonable doubt standard.

In civil court it is a preponderance of the evidence so she may have a chance to win there.

I'm not saying a rape may not have occurred but with the contract and the reported desire for an ongoing relationship it takes away from the argument of rape.

Well, sure, but I didn't realize that was what we were talking about. I don't think Kristaps is going to be convicted for rape with what we currently know. But I'm unconvinced, either way, as to whether an illegal sex act occurred. This is just a very bizarre story even though the vast majority of what we sort of know is from the accuser's side.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a joke lol. Oh yeah everyone goes over to an athletes house in the middle of the night for an autograph and then ask for $68,000

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, sure, but I didn't realize that was what we were talking about. I don't think Kristaps is going to be convicted for rape with what we currently know. But I'm unconvinced, either way, as to whether an illegal sex act occurred. This is just a very bizarre story even though the vast majority of what we sort of know is from the accuser's side.

Paying for a sex act in New York is likely illegal. It might be considered prostitution.

Now if the payment is for something else, like an injury, then it might be viewed differently.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paying for a sex act in New York is likely illegal. It might be considered prostitution.

Now if the payment is for something else, like an injury, then it might be viewed differently.

I think you're missing something here. It isn't "paying for a sex act" if it occurs as she reportedly has said it did (as in, after the fact). It's basically paying for silence. But heck, at this point I wouldn't be surprised by just about anything from this incident.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh....when players and owners put themselves in stupid situations....I have very little empathy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're missing something here. It isn't "paying for a sex act" if it occurs as she reportedly has said it did (as in, after the fact). It's basically paying for silence. But heck, at this point I wouldn't be surprised by just about anything from this incident.

That $68,000 dollars was for something. And allegedly a sex act occurred.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@AzStevenCal

I'm looking at it how a prosecuting attorney might look at it when looking at the accusation of rape.

If it is not a criminal case it becomes a civil case.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

She may have planned for that, then changed her mind. Or, she may have made a false promise of sex in order to get an autograph from him.