The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think they should move the 3 point line further away and maybe eliminate it altogether in the corners. If it’s a more difficult shot it will initially cut down on the number of such shots many players will take and also which players have the green light. It will also make the 3 more of special shot when made than it is now. I think it would open up the game even further.
I think you have something here. The three point line should be at a distance that makes the shot as risky as a two point shot. I suppose it is for most players.

To me, still, there a couple of simple things.

1. As mentioned already, call an offensive foul or a no-call when an offensive player forces contact in order to draw the foul.
2. Go back to two shots when fouled on a three point shot, maybe except in the last two minutes of a game. Whoever had that one, that is a great idea.
3. Call travelling--the way it used to be called. At one point, I believe the Eurostep would have been called travelling.

It would be a start.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Avery Johnson negotiating a buyout with Alabama. Looks like he is trying to line up the Cavs head coaching job. I can see that. Reunite with Collin Sexton.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. As mentioned already, call an offensive foul or a no-call when an offensive player forces contact in order to draw the foul.
2. Go back to two shots when fouled on a three point shot, maybe except in the last two minutes of a game. Whoever had that one, that is a great idea.
3. Call travelling--the way it used to be called. At one point, I believe the Eurostep would have been called travelling.

It would be a start.

I don't like it. The last thing they need to do is encourage more fouling, the game is long enough as it is.

I agree on 1 and 3. In addition to traveling, I wouldn't mind seeing the dribbling rules return to the pre-Magic (or maybe it's pre-Gervin) interpretation. Do away with the high dribble and the palming that's so common today.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like it. The last thing they need to do is encourage more fouling, the game is long enough as it is.

I agree on 1 and 3. In addition to traveling, I wouldn't mind seeing the dribbling rules return to the pre-Magic (or maybe it's pre-Gervin) interpretation. Do away with the high dribble and the palming that's so common today.

I think the main way that would work is to make sure it's called right. If a team is intentionally fouling 3pt shooters to disrupt their shot then hit them with a flagrant. Regular fouls are for mistakes that are made while flagrants are for intentionally impeding someone who is trying to make a basketball play by interfering with the player instead of the play, which is exactly what it would be trying to foul someone who is shooting. They're not trying to stop the shot, they're trying to stop the shooter and that's where it falls in a gray zone, IMO.

If nothing else they should adopt the NCAA's 1 and 1 rule on all shooting fouls. If the first free throw is missed on a shooting foul then they don't get a second. If it's a 3pt attempt and they get 3 FT's then a miss on either of the first 2 attempts could lead to a live ball situation.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one problem with moving the 3 point line back further is the impact it would have on the game might be the opposite of what you want. Long shots that miss are often long rebounds, I think teams that don't have guys who can make that shot would greatly reduce their attempts and go inside more, which would compact the paint area leading to more contact and more fouls.

part of what makes the Warriors so hard to defend is you have to stretch your defense to handle the 3 point shooting and that opens up the basket for backdoor cuts and makes a playmaker like Draymond deadly. But for teams that don't have a Curry or Klay, it'll just condense things.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Avery Johnson negotiating a buyout with Alabama. Looks like he is trying to line up the Cavs head coaching job. I can see that. Reunite with Collin Sexton.

Good for him I’ve always liked him the super over achiever.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not a big fan of the whole hey we can just turn a switch thing.

It’s gonna get interesting

I was mostly talking about off the wall wins and losses by teams that have nothing to lose and playoff teams resting players.

There are always games near the close of the season where one has to scratch their head and say how did that happen. For example tonight Charlotte beat Boston, the Mavericks beat Golden State or even Atlanta beating Philadelphia.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was mostly talking about off the wall wins and losses by teams that have nothing to lose and playoff teams resting players.

There are always games near the close of the season where one has to scratch their head and say how did that happen. For example tonight Charlotte beat Boston, the Mavericks beat Golden State or even Atlanta beating Philadelphia.

I think you both are on the same page. I took his comment about flipping a switch to mean how teams like Golden State coast thinking they can just get serious in the playoffs. Lebron's Cavs teams would do that almost every year. A number of contenders seem to put out little effort at the end of the season because they believe they can flip a switch to be in playoff mode. They don't care if they're blown out like the Warriors just were. To them they weren't trying so it's not a big deal.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is crazy. The Hornets were down 2 with seconds left against Toronto and Jeremy Lamb fumbled the inbound pass around halfcourt and had to chase it down. He threw up a prayer from behind half court that was banked in for the 1 point win. The game was in Toronto. This is the sort of loss that I thought only happened to the Suns.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And the ref...Just the worst!

What did the ref do? I only saw the video. Apparently it happened in the 2nd OT period tonight. I closed the window after seeing that so I missed any sort of fallout from it. I'd rather not search for what the ref did because I might end up seeing that again.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That Jusuf Nurkic injury was brutal. Avoid finding the video if you're squeamish.

I second the warning. I'm not squeamish but that was bad. I think it looked worse than the Hayward or Paul George injuries that got a ton of coverage. It was more graphic than Canaan's last year with the Suns as well.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What did the ref do? I only saw the video. Apparently it happened in the 2nd OT period tonight. I closed the window after seeing that so I missed any sort of fallout from it. I'd rather not search for what the ref did because I might end up seeing that again.

He misses what happened because he was busy calling a foul. In the moment, he drops his whistle. He bends down to pick the whistle up and then trips over Nurkic's foot! Keeps walking as if nothing happened.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave