The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That $68,000 dollars was for something. And allegedly a sex act occurred.

The 68k was for silence, according to her she was given hush money. He was paying her not to call the police or media to report him for rape and/or assault. She apparently had visible bruises, a chunk of hair was missing, and her face was swollen.

You're skipping something trying to say she was paid for sex but she said she didn't voluntarily have sex with him, he beat her up and then had his way with her. There was no sort of agreement that he was paying for a sex act though, no matter how it looks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 68k was for silence, according to her she was given hush money. He was paying her not to call the police or media to report him for rape and/or assault. She apparently had visible bruises, a chunk of hair was missing, and her face was swollen.

You're skipping something trying to say she was paid for sex but she said she didn't voluntarily have sex with him, he beat her up and then had his way with her. There was no sort of agreement that he was paying for a sex act though, no matter how it looks.

There may be other criminal charges in there. I'm saying it will be hard to prove rape to a jury.

And if she forged a contract she might be guilty of a criminal charge as well.

Do we know that the accused did the physical damage?

The whole situation smells.

My point earlier was money for an illegal act is not enforceable.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Porzingis is about to learn that he isn't President of the United States, and there's exists such a thing as accountability, for most people.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Relying upon payment muddies the water on the allegation of rape. If it is a contract for sex it is illegal.
It wasn’t a contract for sex. It was settlement not to bring charges. That happens all the time and does not negate rape.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There may be other criminal charges in there. I'm saying it will be hard to prove rape to a jury.

And if she forged a contract she might be guilty of a criminal charge as well.

Do we know that the accused did the physical damage?

The whole situation smells.

My point earlier was money for an illegal act is not enforceable.
There was never “money for an illegal act.” You’ve somehow added that narrative to all this.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The lawyer says the contract is "forged." But what if KP says, you write it up, I'll sign it, then signs it with a messy signature? Then his lawyer tells him not to honor it as it would admit guilt. It's weird to me how some are focusing on the fact that she went to his apartment and wanted a subsequent relationship, perhaps wanted an encounter that night, and assuming from it that even the alleged battery was consensual.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was never “money for an illegal act.” You’ve somehow added that narrative to all this.

No money has changed hands as I understand it but extortion is a crime if proven.

Here is an excerp from ESPN:

Porzingis' attorney, Roland G. Riopelle, denied the allegations and said they had previously referred the case to federal authorities due to the "accuser's extortionate demands."

"We are aware of the complaint that was made against Mr. Porzingis on Friday and unequivocally deny the allegations," Riopelle said. "We made a formal referral to federal law enforcement on Dec. 20, 2018, based on the accuser's extortionate demands. We also alerted the National Basketball Association months ago, and they are aware of the ongoing investigation of the accuser by federal law enforcement. We cannot comment further on an ongoing federal investigation. Please refer any questions to the Federal Bureau of Investigation or the National Basketball Association."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26401287/report-porzingis-accused-rape-new-york

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No money has changed hands as I understand it but extortion is a crime if proven.

Here is an excerp from ESPN:

Porzingis' attorney, Roland G. Riopelle, denied the allegations and said they had previously referred the case to federal authorities due to the "accuser's extortionate demands."

"We are aware of the complaint that was made against Mr. Porzingis on Friday and unequivocally deny the allegations," Riopelle said. "We made a formal referral to federal law enforcement on Dec. 20, 2018, based on the accuser's extortionate demands. We also alerted the National Basketball Association months ago, and they are aware of the ongoing investigation of the accuser by federal law enforcement. We cannot comment further on an ongoing federal investigation. Please refer any questions to the Federal Bureau of Investigation or the National Basketball Association."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26401287/report-porzingis-accused-rape-new-york
Yes extortion is illegal, but if this was a settlement, settlement is not extortion.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn’t a contract for sex. It was settlement not to bring charges. That happens all the time and does not negate rape.

My position is rape would be difficult to prove at a jury trial not that it didn't happen.

The circumstances make it difficult, waiting 8 months to file charges while trying to get money from the accused. Also there may have been a desire for a relationship thereafter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My position is rape would be difficult to prove at a jury trial not that it didn't happen.

The circumstances make it difficult, waiting 8 months to file charges while trying to get money from the accused. Also there may have been a desire for a relationship thereafter.
Oh there’s no doubt this is likely an uphill battle for the accuser.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zion may be headed for record sneaker deal.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Lillard named player of the week...

25/7 on 37% FG% vs 52/6 on 62% FG%. Makes sense...

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lillard named player of the week...

25/7 on 37% FG% vs 52/6 on 62% FG%. Makes sense...

Wtf. Is there some conspiracy amongst the league keeping Booker from getting any respect? I imagine it's due to the losses. I earlier thought the Booker trade demand speculation was ridiculous but I can easily see how this would become tiresome to a player of Booker's calibre.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Wtf. Is there some conspiracy amongst the league keeping Booker from getting any respect? I imagine it's due to the losses. I earlier thought the Booker trade demand speculation was ridiculous but I can easily see how this would become tiresome to a player of Booker's calibre.
Forgot it's April fool's day so it could be fake news.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cousins ejected for whacking a dude in the head.

Even with his rep, I could give him the benefit of the doubt... if not for that he whacked Hernangomez in the face... twice. His excuse is that he was boxing out, but you don't box out by flailing at a dude's head and it really seemed like that he made a more aggressive swipe at Willie's head when his first effort to whack him was merely a glancing blow.

Yeah that was a flagrant foul Boogie is full of BS

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should be suspended. Blatantly intentional.

Yeah it's not a basketball play nobody blocks out by extending their arm at head level like that. I don't know that he tried to nearly take his head off but he clearly tried to hit him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's not a basketball play nobody blocks out by extending their arm at head level like that. I don't know that he tried to nearly take his head off but he clearly tried to hit him.

You're right and I'm not trying to justify the play but is that really typical Cousins? I didn't watch the game and I can't stand a lot of things about him but I wasn't aware that he played that way routinely as opposed to retaliation for a real or perceived cheap shot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right and I'm not trying to justify the play but is that really typical Cousins? I didn't watch the game and I can't stand a lot of things about him but I wasn't aware that he played that way routinely as opposed to retaliation for a real or perceived cheap shot.

I don't think it's typical of his time with the Warriors no, I just think it was intentional.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's a shock. Why now? Why not last year, or the year before or the year before or the year before or the year before or the year before or the year before or the year before? 10 years as one of the worst GMs ever.
Better late than never. Amazing to me that Chris Wallace still has a GM job with Memphis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose