Do you really think Cards would trade Rosen and turn over the QB job to Murray?

Reaction score
I really don't understand why this has to be an either/or decision. If they feel Murray is worthy of the #1 pick, take him there. This does not mean they need to trade Rosen unless they get an offer that blows them away.

I like the idea of having 2 top QB prospects on the roster. If Murray falls on his face, you still have Rosen under contract for several more years.

QB is so much more important than any other position that I would rather increase my odds at cementing the position than trading Rosen for a mid first round pick or worse.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I really don't understand why this has to be an either/or decision. If they feel Murray is worthy of the #1 pick, take him there. This does not mean they need to trade Rosen unless they get an offer that blows them away.

I like the idea of having 2 top QB prospects on the roster. If Murray falls on his face, you still have Rosen under contract for several more years.

QB is so much more important than any other position that I would rather increase my odds at cementing the position than trading Rosen for a mid first round pick or worse.
But what if they both fail because the rest of the team sucks especially the O line then do we use next years ,#1 in another QB of course knowing the cards I wouldn't put it past them

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been saying this for a while now.

If the Cardinals trade Rosen right now, what would they get? Maybe a 3rd round pick, a 2nd if they are lucky.

If the Cards don't draft Murray, he will not fall far. So Murray is rated higher almost universally than Rosen? I do not get why we would bypass Murray and keep Rosen if Murray is that much better of a prospect. Keep them both. Figure it out. A quality starting QB is the one position that it is really, really hard to trade for. We are going to have one of these two for the next ten years or more. It is important to get this right. Bosa or no Bosa.

I think we both have the same philosophy of drafting Murray and keeping Rosen if the Cardinals are undecided about their quarterback situation. It's hard to know what the Cardinals are thinking at this point.

This all could be a mirage for the Cardinals to trade down. I would be bluffing if I were the GM.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'd prefer the Cardinals keep Rosen next season even if they draft Murray. The reward is getting the right QBOTF.
I have been saying this for a while now.

If the Cardinals trade Rosen right now, what would they get? Maybe a 3rd round pick, a 2nd if they are lucky.

If the Cards don't draft Murray, he will not fall far. So Murray is rated higher almost universally than Rosen? I do not get why we would bypass Murray and keep Rosen if Murray is that much better of a prospect. Keep them both. Figure it out. A quality starting QB is the one position that it is really, really hard to trade for. We are going to have one of these two for the next ten years or more. It is important to get this right. Bosa or no Bosa.
It's already been said, but that is going to devastate the confidence of Rosen and make him useless - if not a malcontent and locker room cancer. If Murray starts sucking, what do we do? Just swap 'em out? Pretend we didn't absolutely whiff on the #1 overall pick?

You haven't watched football if you think this can work in a locker room or organization, I'm sorry.

This isn't Madden where both dudes have a level 86 rating and you can make the change at the half depending on your opponent's play style. They're humans.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's already been said, but that is going to devastate the confidence of Rosen and make him useless - if not a malcontent and locker room cancer. If Murray starts sucking, what do we do? Just swap 'em out? Pretend we didn't absolutely whiff on the #1 overall pick?

You haven't watched football if you think this can work in a locker room or organization, I'm sorry.

This isn't Madden where both dudes have a level 86 rating and you can make the change at the half depending on your opponent's play style. They're humans.

This doesn't say much about Rosen if he crumbles so easily.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This doesn't say much about Rosen if he crumbles so easily.
Come the **** on. It's completely ridiculous to expect a guy to be unflappable when his entire city and workplace gives up on him. Talk about being a big manly man with no emotions all you want, but you don't shrug it off when someone is brought in at a huge salary and to huge means to take your job.

The instant we take Murray, Rosen's career here is 100% over.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll take how to kill a young QB’s confidence, divide a locker room and become the laughing stock of the league for $1000, Alex.

The Cardinals will be the laughing stock if Rosen busts and Murray becomes a franchise quarterback.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come the **** on. It's completely ridiculous to expect a guy to be unflappable when his entire city and workplace gives up on him. Talk about being a big manly man with no emotions all you want, but you don't shrug it off when someone is brought in at a huge salary and to huge means to take your job.

The instant we take Murray, Rosen's career here is 100% over.

The Cowboys did something very similar in 1989 and the world did not fall apart.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The Cardinals will be the laughing stock if Rosen busts and Murray becomes a franchise quarterback.
No, they won't, because there are a ton of huge red flags showing the guy not to be a good NFL quarterback. Maybe they'll question what could have been, but this guy is not the unanimous #1 on the board. We will be the laughing stock if we hire a college coach who got fired and then draft a guy who would go in the third round most years with the #1 overall pick, wasting three of last year's picks in the process.

I'm sorry to get so heated about this, but this guy is anything but a sure thing. No one talked about him at #1 until that stupid clip came out months ago.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The Cowboys did something very similar in 1989 and the world did not fall apart.
The Cowboys didn't know that they were giving up the #1 pick when they used the supplemental pick, and they also had a ton of money and draft capital to make up for the decision. In the salary cap era, we have the luxury of neither.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, they won't, because there are a ton of huge red flags showing the guy not to be a good NFL quarterback. Maybe they'll question what could have been, but this guy is not the unanimous #1 on the board. We will be the laughing stock if we hire a college coach who got fired and then draft a guy who would go in the third round most years with the #1 overall pick, wasting three of last year's picks in the process.

I'm sorry to get so heated about this, but this guy is anything but a sure thing. No one talked about him at #1 until that stupid clip came out months ago.

If Murray is not any good I don't think the Cardinals will draft him.

The Cardinals are probably looking for a ransom for the #1 pick and if they don't get it they will do what is best for the team.

We are mostly kicking the ball around until the draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cowboys didn't know that they were giving up the #1 pick when they used the supplemental pick, and they also had a ton of money and draft capital to make up for the decision. In the salary cap era, we have the luxury of neither.

We know what the Cowboys got for Steve Walsh.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If Murray is not any good I don't think the Cardinals will draft him.

The Cardinals are probably looking for a ransom for the #1 pick and if they don't get it they will do what is best for the team.

We are mostly kicking the ball around until the draft.
Yeah, I don't mean to overreact (at you, but I hate the situation, haha). I don't think we're getting much of anything for our pick, and I don't think Murray is awful, I just don't think he's worth the tremendous risk. I wish we were talking about the notion of drafting Murray at #10, or a guy who had 2-3 years of production with a wonderful attitude, measurables, and not the option of switching to baseball the moment things go a little sour.

We know what the Cowboys got for Steve Walsh.
Still really not the same.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim deserves to be fired if both Kyler & Josh are on the roster come preseason.

Just a waste of everybody’s time if that happens.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rosen for a first, or multiple picks. We have holes to fill.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we were heading into the season with Glennon by all means. I guess I might be the first to mention trading down for more picks , huh? I am not expressing expertise. I am asking for the sake of discussion.

I apologize. I guess i just can't see it working that way.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Found this analysis of Rosen and what I found most interesting is the type of offense the writer said he would fit in. I personally think it would be a mistake for the Cardinals to toss Rosen aside after only one year.

http://insidethepylon.com/football-...rraiolas-2018-nfl-draft-quarterback-rankings/

1. Josh Rosen, University of California Los Angeles, 6-4, 226 pounds
Strengths: Intelligent individual who’s been able to master multiple play books while at UCLA. Excellent mechanics and is the most mechanically sound passer in this class. Displays excellent poise in the pocket. Protects ball with two hands and keeps the ball tight to his chest when he feels the rush approaching. Competitively tough player who stands in and takes a beating to complete passes – example vs. USC 2017. Very good pocket mobility despite reputation for not being the most athletic QB. Tennis background instilled good footwork that translates to how he moves within the pocket. Excellent ability to climb the pocket and to avoid pressure from arcing EDGE rushers. Somewhat mobile outside of the pocket and displays ability to square his shoulders and reset his base. The best pure processor of coverages in this class. Excellent use of eyes to manipulate defensive backs. Excellent arm talent displaying great velocity and touch on his passes. Ball explodes out his hand with nice spin. Excellent anticipation to see throwing windows open and have his pass arrive on time. Rare level of accuracy and ball placement to all levels of the field. Displays a high percentage of completions in the middle of the field. Very good arm strength to test defenses deep. Doesn’t get enough credit for his situational awareness and how get can lead his team from behind. Example – vs. Texas A&M 2017. Shows a high level of competitiveness and leadership.

Weaknesses: Concussions are concerning as he’s already had a few in his career. Not going to keep a defensive coordinator awake at night because of his ability to run. Risks some passes into tight windows that you’d rather see him show restraint on.

One- to Three- Year Projection: Immediate starter who’s going to make his fair share of mistakes in year one. Will develop into a very good franchise quarterback. A top 10 quarterback by his third year in the NFL because of his mental processing ability to read coverages and competitiveness.

Scheme Fit: Scheme diverse – would thrive in West Coast/Air Raid hybrid, but also has the timing component to succeed in an Erhardt-Perkins offense.

Draft Grade: 1st Round – 1st Overall Selection

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't mean to overreact (at you, but I hate the situation, haha). I don't think we're getting much of anything for our pick, and I don't think Murray is awful, I just don't think he's worth the tremendous risk. I wish we were talking about the notion of drafting Murray at #10, or a guy who had 2-3 years of production with a wonderful attitude, measurables, and not the option of switching to baseball the moment things go a little sour.

Still really not the same.

The Cardinals are milking the situation for all it's worth. I'm sure they want opposing teams to think they are going to draft Murray so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's hard to know what they are going to do. Whatever they do, I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it.

The Cowboys drafting Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft is not exactly the same thing but it is close enough to illustrate the point.

OP
OP
B

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
What if Murray excels and Rosen flops?[/QUOTE

If Cards are smart they would have drafted Bosa and gotten a potential Pro-Bowl DE/OLB for the defense.Odds of Murray excelling are longshot IMHO.Based on history,size,bulk,running QB..... I think Murray flops.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you take a QB in 2020, a class with better QBs.

This might work if the 2020 class is deep quarterbacks. I guess I was trying to avoid two bad seasons in a row.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This might work if the 2020 class is deep quarterbacks. I guess I was trying to avoid two bad seasons in a row.
We're already on our third bad season in a row. This would make 4 if Murray flops... and put us in a pretty hopeless position.