Why Todd Bowles is likely the next Cardinals Head Coach

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is not about whether Bowles will be a good HC or not.

This is a business decision for Cardinals. The logic here is Cardinals need to sell to fans who ever they hire to generate interest. They hired Wilks and team went into over drive to sell Wilks. They cannot sell someone who is totally unknown and unproven again. So they will try to land McCarthy or Harbaugh if available. The chances a good HC candidate chooses Cardinals are negligible. And not many of these good candidates want to hitch their wagons to a GM who's job is hanging by thread.

The next logical step is tap into your best DC of the past decade. This will bring seal of approval from your well liked ex-HC Arians, lets you to keep some of the staff, Keim can continue as GM and a lot of money is saved.

This also means high chance P2 returns, Fitz can be requested into coming back and David Johnson gets Stump Mitchell back as RB coach.

Primarily, the product is instantly sold overnight, at least for 2019, without any effort and that makes for a good business decision.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Why not hire Steve Wilks when you can hire Steve Wilks 2.0.
Insulting to Bowles, who has not only fielded the best defense we've had here in a while, but also one of the most exciting ones to watch. Bowles was given an abysmal Jets roster. Remember when they cut bait on seemingly all off their veteran players and were a lock for 0-16 in the eyes of media? They went 5-11 twice, and while this is not great, his team kept fighting for him and kept most games close. Bowles now has some valuable HC experience.

Bowles would be a big step up from Wilks. I'm still for an offensive minded HC though.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If a hire absolutely explodes in a franchises' face then they're really unlikely to go back to the same well.

We just hired a defensive guy with little to no experience... while Bowles has some experience, it's not a lot and it's not good. I think they're likely to pull a 180 and bring in a respected offensive mind, whether it is a highly touted coordinator or a retread who's been a HC a time or two before remains to be seen.

A lot of it is going to depend on if Kiem gets fired too. If Kiem is around then I'm certain that he will hire an experienced offensive mind. If Kiem is fired then... hopefully Michael Bidwill will let his replacement GM find someone whom they are compatible with.

If Kiem is still around and he hires a respected offensive mind then I think there are really good odds that Bowles comes back as DC.

I'm a lot more worried about us bringing in someone like Joe Philbin.

If I had to pick a likely name right now for head coach... especially if Kiem is still in charge...

Mike Helfrich.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is not about whether Bowles will be a good HC or not.

This is a business decision for Cardinals. The logic here is Cardinals need to sell to fans who ever they hire to generate interest. They hired Wilks and team went into over drive to sell Wilks. They cannot sell someone who is totally unknown and unproven again. So they will try to land McCarthy or Harbaugh if available. The chances a good HC candidate chooses Cardinals are negligible. And not many of these good candidates want to hitch their wagons to a GM who's job is hanging by thread.

The next logical step is tap into your best DC of the past decade. This will bring seal of approval from your well liked ex-HC Arians, lets you to keep some of the staff, Keim can continue as GM and a lot of money is saved.

This also means high chance P2 returns, Fitz can be requested into coming back and David Johnson gets Stump Mitchell back as RB coach.

Primarily, the product is instantly sold overnight, at least for 2019, without any effort and that makes for a good business decision.
Keep an eye on Marvin Lewis and Chuck Pagano if this is the case.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
At least we would be hiring someone whose scheme fits our damn personnel!!!!!

#FireBothOfThem

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bowles as DC seems a good idea IF the new HC wants him. I think we need an offensive minded HC. The reason being if you hire a defensive minded HC and they hire an outstanding OC, then the outstanding OC might be gone in a year or two. In today's NFL it's mainly slanted toward the offense and scoring points.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Bowles as DC seems a good idea IF the new HC wants him. I think we need an offensive minded HC. The reason being if you hire a defensive minded HC and they hire an outstanding OC, then the outstanding OC might be gone in a year or two. In today's NFL it's mainly slanted toward the offense and scoring points.
I like Bowles but the defense needs to be almost entirely rebuilt. Peterson, Baker and Jones are the anchors. A few decent players like Peters remain but there’s really no defense left to coach. With a new coach coming Bowles doesn’t seem a likely choice but rather someone the new coach knows well and trusts.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Bowles but the defense needs to be almost entirely rebuilt. Peterson, Baker and Jones are the anchors. A few decent players like Peters remain but there’s really no defense left to coach. With a new coach coming Bowles doesn’t seem a likely choice but rather someone the new coach knows well and trusts.

Why wouldn't a new HC want a defensive mind like Bowles??? It would be hard to find a better DC than Bowles. If Williams doesn't get the HC job in Cleveland, he could be another DC candidate.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why not hire Steve Wilks when you can hire Steve Wilks 2.0.
Bowles is no Wilks. But point taken. The priority should be to land some one proven like Harbaugh, McCarthy. The chances are it is not going to happen.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If a hire absolutely explodes in a franchises' face then they're really unlikely to go back to the same well.

We just hired a defensive guy with little to no experience... while Bowles has some experience, it's not a lot and it's not good. I think they're likely to pull a 180 and bring in a respected offensive mind, whether it is a highly touted coordinator or a retread who's been a HC a time or two before remains to be seen.

A lot of it is going to depend on if Kiem gets fired too. If Kiem is around then I'm certain that he will hire an experienced offensive mind. If Kiem is fired then... hopefully Michael Bidwill will let his replacement GM find someone whom they are compatible with.

If Kiem is still around and he hires a respected offensive mind then I think there are really good odds that Bowles comes back as DC.

If I had to pick a likely name right now for head coach... especially if Kiem is still in charge...

Mike Helfrich.
I think, they will not hire a first time Head Coach again. This franchise cannot afford to fail to the levels of Wilks. Cardinals will be happy with 6-10, 8-8 records in the coming years that show progress to bring them to a baseline.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No Lewis wants personnel control. Doubt with Keim. Pagano does not move the needle in valley. .

Oh Dear God in Heaven. I would blow my brains out if we ever even interviewed Marvin Lewis, let alone hired him. Him, Hue Jackson, and Steve Wilks combined have the football IQ of Rich Kotite.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with infusing trust in the fans should we hire Bowles as our HC . Today’s world is all about results. Bowles would be great as our DC but doubter would be coming out of the wall after this last defensive minded fiasco. We need an offensive minded coach who can call plays and not be the middle man on offensive decisions. Look at the saints and chiefs staffs. Somebody there deserves a HC job. The only defensive minded coach that would infuse excitement would be Vic fangio. Even then we would be looking for the best OC around who could be gone if/ after successful offensive turn around.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Though I do agree they will probably prefer a proven capacity (like they wanted Andy Reid before settling with Arians), I think they could sell the fanbase on an unproven head coach as long as it is exiting enough. By that I mean that every fan has seen or heard about the Rams and Sean McVay this season, and if the Cardinals hired someone who at first glance – in characteristics – could remind of that (Matt LaFleur, Lincoln Riley, John DeFilippo just to throw out some names) I think it could work from a PR-angle.

This is probably predicated on the fanbase being as knowledgably about the NFL as people are in here, but I trust that the vast majority is (which I basically know absolutely nothing about).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So they're going to fire their defensive head coach for another defensive head coach, whose defense is currently 24th in scoring? Could be coming off his third 5-11 season.

I mean, I think we as hardcore fans liked Bowles fine, but let's not get crazy thinking that he'd be an easy sell to a broader fanbase. Bowles hired Chan Gailey as his OC of choice.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If Bowles is fried, he’ll be the new DC in Cleveland with Arians.
I'll be surprised if the Browns hire Arians. He isn't the long-term answer and they would owe the Cardinals a draft pick.

But he might make sense if he agrees to a one or two year deal while grooming Kitchens as his heir apparent. Does he just want revenge on the Steelers for mistreating him or does he REALLY want to coach Baker Mayfield or is it a combination of both?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BA's coaching career is over. Cleveland is not going to hire him. Bowles won't be HC of the Cards, They are going with an offense experienced HC and he will bring in his own DC.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Mike Helfrich.

Unfortunately I do not trust Keim to make the right hire. You say he would likely bring in an experienced offensive mind (which I agree), but let’s not forget had Mike McCoy not been bored as OC this year they would have been all in on bringing him in next year as HC

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson