Why Todd Bowles is likely the next Cardinals Head Coach

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If they hire Bowles as HC next season I’ll be livid!

Understandable. This is a long rebuild. Like 3-4 years before playoffs can be achieved. I would go with someone who can build a program like Tony Dungy (Not Tony Dungy exactly, but someone like that).

Not sure if Bowles is the guy or not.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I agree on changing from a 3-4 to 4-3 being a huge mistake.

Chandler Jones had 17 sacks, the run defense was elite, and PP21 took away the best WR on the other team.

Why would you change that (Keim and Wilks)?

On Friday, I was listening to one of the crews in NFL Sirius channel...They were talking about defensive coaches who have had success...and they mentioned Mike Tomlin...and how he came from a 4-3 background, but let it go with the Steelers and allowed them to remain a 3-4, because that was the personnel and scheme he inherited and they had a history of success with it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Understandable. This is a long rebuild. Like 3-4 years before playoffs can be achieved. I would go with someone who can build a program like Tony Dungy (Not Tony Dungy exactly, but someone like that).

Not sure if Bowles is the guy or not.
Fake. This team was 8-8 a year ago with Stanton and Gabbert. We can be a playoff contender next year.

All the core pieces of that team will come back.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fake. This team was 8-8 a year ago with Stanton and Gabbert. We can be a playoff contender next year.

I was in your boat on this team's ability until a few weeks. I am starting to think this is a a double fake team based on this year. If anything, Cardinals better build a shrine for Arians in their locker rooms (like Eagles did for Foles) for taking that team to 8-8 last year..

It will be a long time before Cardinals see 8-8 again.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On Friday, I was listening to one of the crews in NFL Sirius channel...They were talking about defensive coaches who have had success...and they mentioned Mike Tomlin...and how he came from a 4-3 background, but let it go with the Steelers and allowed them to remain a 3-4, because that was the personnel and scheme he inherited and they had a history of success with it.

Tomlin is an average HC. Nothing more & nothing less.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Tomlin is an average HC. Nothing more & nothing less.
Totally not the point. Point was that he was smart enough to leave a good defense alone, even though he was a defensive coach, from a 4-3 background... Similar situation that Will came into, but handled in a much better way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow just wow :shrug:

This team has more holes than 50 dozen donuts & a at more positions than any in the NFL imo.

I kind of agree with K9. Worst to First happens often in the NFL. It’ll depend on whether we strike gold with who we hire as HC. If we hired McCarthy, we would go from the worst head coach in NFL history to someone who’s won almost 70% of his games over 13 years. Anything is possible in the NFL.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree. The NFL is build on parity. That is a big deal. The salary cap, the draft, and the schedule; they all give a losing team the ability to quickly respond and be a playoff contender again. Happens every year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally not the point. Point was that he was smart enough to leave a good defense alone, even though he was a defensive coach, from a 4-3 background... Similar situation that Will came into, but handled in a much better way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Point well made, but just the mere mention of his name makes me nauseous.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I agree. The NFL is build on parity. That is a big deal. The salary cap, the draft, and the schedule; they all give a losing team the ability to quickly respond and be a playoff contender again. Happens every year.
Name one team recently that bottomed out & hit rock bottom that didnt have a number of previous high draft choices on its roster or multi #1’s in the same draft that all of sudden turn it around in 1 season?

We certainly haven’t had the numerous highs picks recently or going into this draft.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

So the cap space will be spent on better players than Sam Bradford, Justin Pugh and Andre Smith? Just asking...

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Name one team recently that bottomed out & hit rock bottom that didnt have a number of previous high draft choices on its roster or multi #1’s in the same draft that all of sudden turn it around in 1 season?

We certainly haven’t had the numerous highs picks recently or going into this draft.

Eagles had the 2nd pick & took Wentz. So they hired Pederson, drafted Wentz, and hired great OC & DC.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hell, the Cleveland Browns this year. If they had fired Jackson at the end of last year, they would have won 10+ games this year.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm not saying the Cards will be a playoff team next year. But last year the Jaguars (10 & 6) were one of the best teams in football and the Bears (5 & 11) were one of the worst. Now the Jags are 5 & 10 in last place while the Bears won the NFC North and are 11 & 4. You can rationalize this any way you wish but this happens all the time.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Hell, the Cleveland Browns this year. If they had fired Jackson at the end of last year, they would have won 10+ games this year.
You didn’t listen to what I stated but it’s cool.

The Browns have had years & years of top 5 picks & acquired many more thru trades recently & just now drafted a savior QB & have been adding quality talent for 3-4 years now. The Cards are at the beginning of the process, which is why I say it’s going to be at least 3-4 years.

Buckybird

Reaction score
I'm not saying the Cards will be a playoff team next year. But last year the Jaguars (10 & 6) were one of the best teams in football and the Bears (5 & 11) were one of the worst. Now the Jags are 5 & 10 in last place while the Bears won the NFC North and are 11 & 4. You can rationalize this any way you wish but this happens all the time.
I hear what you’re saying but I think the Cards just don’t have that many quality players right now.

Coaching will help but to turn it around as quickly is going to require Keim hitting mostly HR’s in the draft & FA this year & then it probably still won’t happen next season.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t see you think Tomlin is average, yet think McCarthy is good.

I’m not high on either btw

Yes, very similar records. But Cardinals need an offensive minded coach, which is McCarthy. I’ll never respect Tomlin after the incident on the sidelines when he tried to trip up the player on the Ravens. Furthermore, Tomlin isn’t available & McCarthy is. Should Tomlin get fired, and he won’t, I would certainly interview him. But as I said earlier, I want an offensive guy.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hear what you’re saying but I think the Cards just don’t have that many quality players right now.

Coaching will help but to turn it around as quickly is going to require Keim hitting mostly HR’s in the draft & FA this year & then it probably still won’t happen next season.

One of the reasons Browns struggled for so long to turn around is presence of strong Steelers, Ravens and Bengals in the same division. The same under currents are in NFC West. On top of it all the success next few years precludes on Rosen's development. Given this year's evidence Rosen may be two years away.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard