Who do you want to be ASU's next football coach?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strong armed pocket passer who looks like he already has some pocket presence (moving around in the pocket, stepping into throws). Looked a bit Carson Palmer-ish.

I'm starting to believe. ;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU gets it's first in-state recruit, OL Roman DeWys from Chandler Basha.

Chandler Basha offensive lineman Roman DeWys, who had only two Division I football offers, said he committed on Monday to Arizona State.

DeWys, who is 6-foot-5, 290 pounds, is new coach Herm Edwards' third overall 2019 commit, and first from Arizona. The other two are out-of-state quarterbacks: Ethan Long from Oregon and Joey Yellen from California.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...a-high-school-football-roman-dewys/692961002/

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That's a bit over the top... If Herm was chosen, ASU would be getting a guy who knows how to coach, who - like Graham, is a high-character guy who would never harm the university with scandal or malcontents, and I guess most importantly, would come cheaply (heard a deal would be in the range of $3MM a year). I actually think Herm would do a good job in recruiting as well...
Don't know how the wins and losses would shake out, but "regretting for years to come?" I don't think so...

Meh... he had 4 winning seasons and 4 losing seasons as a NFL coach. He went to the playoffs 4 times. It's not like he was Rich Kotite and One Heartbeat! ;)

Recruiting should be interesting to watch... I can see his playing and coaching in the NFL as a positive/attractive element and that there might very well be kids who will want to play for a guy who has all of that NFL experience and NFL connections.
Who else out there was a better option? I know there are some... but Les Miles and Sumlin were not coming here unless the $$ was over the top. I haven't heard any official numbers on Herm's deal, but the speculation was in the range of $3MM per... Ain't no way guys like Miles and Sumlin were coming to Tempe at that price...

Graham wasn't Anderson's "guy"... I think this decision was made long ago. I might be proven wrong, but I don't see Herm doing any worse than Graham... and I tend to believe that he has a decent shot at improving upon Graham's record.
As for recruiting... ASU is always, always, always gonna suffer when it comes to recruiting. As has been chronicled for so many years, ASU competes with USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon and the Texas schools... no matter who ASU brought in, recruiting was going to be an issue - just as it's always been...

If he replaces the current staff with a bunch of geezers who haven’t coached in 9 years as well, I’ll be concerned. But everything I’m hearing is that most, of not all of the current staff will remain...
Herm knows football. And he is an extremely solid guy and leader. I think his style could apply to the college level better than it did in the NFL...
Again, I could be totally wrong and ASU might win 2-3 games each year for the next 3-4 seasons... But I don’t think so. I think Herm presents as good of a chance for improvement as any other coach that could’ve been brought in... and again, Miles and Sumlin weren’t coming in.

I’m not 100% sold on this move. I’m also not 100% against it and am more intrigued by than freaked out...
As to “why?” - it’s very simple... Anderson inherited Graham. And Todd did enough to cause enough concern that it made Ray’s decision quite simple, given his existing relationship with Herm. Nothing more to it than that...

Jay Feeley was on Doug & Wolf this morning and essentially summed up all I've been trying to say... If I can find the link to the interview I'll post it. In short, Feeley is extremely bullish on the Edwards hire. Believes he will be a beast in recruiting and as touched on by CardsFan88, Feeley suggested that most college coaches don't do a ton of "coaching"... they are builders of programs/systems, motivators and leaders. If this is indeed true, Edwards has a very real chance to make serious improvements over and above the Todd Graham era...

It's still early and as we know, seasons can turn for the good or bad quickly... But, everything I had hoped for with Herm seems to be trending in a positive direction thus far. Add in assistant coaches like Gonzalez, Likens, Antonio Pierce, Shaun Nua, Derek Hagan & Kevin Mawae... along with the incredible enhancements to the athletic facilities... It's really hard to argue that ASU hasn't done just about everything a program can do to put itself in the best possible position to be a consistent Pac-12 leader with occasional shots at bigger achievements.
I know many of you enjoy taking shots at Ray Anderson, but from my perspective, as I look at his entire body of work across ALL ASU athletics, I have nothing but props for Ray. The baseball situation still needs to be addressed, but overall, I have nothing by massive kudos for Ray. :koolaid:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The key words are "so far".

Sumlin isn't the slam dunk UofA fans are making him out to be. He definitely proved he wasn't the guy to get things done at TAMU.
Agreed. I think the proof will be whether he’s able to recruit or whether that was just Texas A&M.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agreed. I think the proof will be whether he’s able to recruit or whether that was just Texas A&M.

It's funny because when he was at Houston, everyone thought he was an outstanding coach that could make noise if he was at a top program with top recruits.

He had multiple really good recruiting classes, but TAMU seemingly got worse once his guys took over. So he could recruit at TAMU, but couldn't at Houston. What makes anyone think it will be better in Tucson?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Two games in? I'm not even going to waste my time and go back to some of the comedic posts I'm sure exist here from Erickson, Graham, and even Rodriguez's first years at ASU and UA. I mean didn't ASU fans photoshop Erickson's head onto a Jesus painting at one point?

Let's give it a few years guys.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Two games in? I'm not even going to waste my time and go back to some of the comedic posts I'm sure exist here from Erickson, Graham, and even Rodriguez's first years at ASU and UA. I mean didn't ASU fans photoshop Erickson's head onto a Jesus painting at one point?

Let's give it a few years guys.
Cmon everyone’s allowed to be excited by what’s happening at any given moment. Waiting a few years to celebrate is letting life pass you by.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Way too early to deem this a success or Sumlin a failure. Early returns on Herm seem to be trending in positive direction. Much of that seems to be his coordinators. I am really impressed with the defensive games plans Gonzalez has come up with during the first two weeks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cmon everyone’s allowed to be excited by what’s happening at any given moment. Waiting a few years to celebrate is letting life pass you by.

I was as skeptical as anyone else coming into the season but I'm going to enjoy the moment as you say.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about this, glad you brought it up. Lots of people felt the same way. We are all eating crow today!!!!

You bet! I think a lot of us thought Arizona made an excellent hire in Kevin Sumlin.

As I recall, @82CardsGrad was one of the posters really high on Herm Edwards. He had to talk me down from the ledge.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You bet! I think a lot of us thought Arizona made an excellent hire in Kevin Sumlin.

As I recall, @82CardsGrad was one of the posters really high on Herm Edwards. He had to talk me down from the ledge.

I know I did.

Recruiting at au was a huge step down from A&M. Without top 10 recruiting classes every year like he had at A&M, he couldn't cut it weaker PAC 12. It was more about the programs, than the coach.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t want to search 35 pages to see if I was pro sumlin. I know I was anti-herm. He still hasn’t proven me wrong on that side of the ledger in my opinion. Maybe next season his recruiting will bear fruit. But this far he’s another in a long line of coaches who have failed to wake the “sleeping giant” that should be ASU football.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

LOL... one of the few things I’ve gotten right over the past few years!
Herm is such a great, humble man. Success is more than just one guy though, and so you have to give Michael Crow and Ray Anderson a ton of credit as well, for fully supporting Herm’s ideas!

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was pro sumlim, anti herm. Glad to be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t want to search 35 pages to see if I was pro sumlin. I know I was anti-herm. He still hasn’t proven me wrong on that side of the ledger in my opinion. Maybe next season his recruiting will bear fruit. But this far he’s another in a long line of coaches who have failed to wake the “sleeping giant” that should be ASU football.

I used to believe in the sleeping giant philosophy. As time has gone on, I realized that the ASU program is:

1. A program that should regularly win 8-10 games per year.

2. Should always be considered in contention for South.

3. Annual middle to upper middle tier bowls

4. The occasional planets align season where they are playing in the Rose Bowl or similar

I think Herm has elevated recruiting especially when is comes to skill position players. I think he is doing fine. I don't recall how I felt about his hire but I am almost certain I did not want Sumlin.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I used to believe in the sleeping giant philosophy. As time has gone on, I realized that the ASU program is:

1. A program that should regularly win 8-10 games per year.

2. Should always be considered in contention for South.

3. Annual middle to upper middle tier bowls

4. The occasional planets align season where they are playing in the Rose Bowl or similar

I think Herm has elevated recruiting especially when is comes to skill position players. I think he is doing fine. I don't recall how I felt about his hire but I am almost certain I did not want Sumlin.
He’s gotten the recruits but it hasn’t translated to where wins should be imo. I agree with you in regards to 8-10 wins with flirtation with BCS every 5-10 years. I mean, they could do it at Wisconsin, ASU should be easier. The Todd Graham’s of the world can get you a year or two of 10 wins. That’s not consistent enough for where this program should be imo.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave