Who do you want to be ASU's next football coach?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or at the very least, interview at least one other person.

The hire doesn't have the feel a thorough search was done for a new head coach. I think that is why some fans are reacting the way they are.

If Anderson had have found a plum candidate, I think most everyone would be on board. I don't think one makes a change unless they have a candidate that is a clear upgrade.

Sunburst

Veteran
Reaction score
Joke of a hire. Calling it now, Edwards and Anderson will be fired in three years.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has "disaster" written all over it. We will win one or two games in 2019. That is my prediction. Hope I'm wrong, of course.

I'm trying, but I can't think of one positive aspect of Edwards over anyone else.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Reports are that the staff will stay intact. I think Herm is here to recruit and manage the staff. I think he is more GM than HC. Only time will tell if it works.

That's what it feels like to me, too. That would be interesting.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Joke of a hire. Calling it now, Edwards and Anderson will be fired in three years.

I am not sure it will even take three years. If they don't win at least 7 next year, both will be on the hotseat immediately. If the season is a disaster, losing record or worse, both will be gone by the end of next season... mainly, because this looks like a crony hire by the AD. He is really sticking his neck out, and if it doesn't look like it will pay off immediately, the fans and boosters will turn on both of them very quickly.

As it is, it's not going to be a popular move. As an ASU fan, I hope it works out, but I have my serious doubts. Edwards was never a successful coach on the NFL level, has no college experience, and frankly, has always sounded like an idiot to me as an analyst. Maybe he is a great guy and a great motivator - I can't say. But he had better be able to get the program winning quickly next year, because there won't be a lot of patience from the fanbase given the circumstances of his hiring.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am not sure it will even take three years. If they don't win at least 7 next year, both will be on the hotseat immediately. If the season is a disaster, losing record or worse, both will be gone by the end of next season... mainly, because this looks like a crony hire by the AD. He is really sticking his neck out, and if it doesn't look like it will pay off immediately, the fans and boosters will turn on both of them very quickly.

As it is, it's not going to be a popular move. As an ASU fan, I hope it works out, but I have my serious doubts. Edwards was never a successful coach on the NFL level, has no college experience, and frankly, has always sounded like an idiot to me as an analyst. Maybe he is a great guy and a great motivator - I can't say. But he had better be able to get the program winning quickly next year, because there won't be a lot of patience from the fanbase given the circumstances of his hiring.

We should know before the season even starts. Graham's biggest problem was recruiting and if ASU's recruiting class is outside the top 20 then things are going to sour pretty quickly. The fact that they would retain a majority of assistants proves that the problem wasn't on the field but getting the quality players to commit.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Strange that there weren't many other candidates seriously considered. Anderson had his mind set and went for it. Herm has a ton of charisma and energy, plus a lot of experience dealing with the top recruits during the All-Star game...so I can see him being a good recruiter. If Herm can all of a sudden get some 4 star recruits to come in...I'll feel a lot better about this. Otherwise...color me skeptical.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't understand why you would only interview one guy, especially since he is 63 years old and has a career record is 54-74. I know Anderson is good friends with Edwards but you would think his friendship would take a back seat to hiring the best available coach. Hope it works out for ASU but I remember when the UofA interviewed only one guy and hired him. His name was John Mackovic.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Hope it works out for ASU but I remember when the UofA interviewed only one guy and hired him. His name was John Mackovic.

I remember that, too... lots of ASU fans will, if this looks like a disaster come this time next year.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If they were going to make a hire like this it should've been Mack Brown, not Herm Edwards IMO. Dumb freaking move :bang:

My HS buddy Todd was a better option staying instead of this hire, regardless of Andersons relationship with Herm. I'm sorry but just because Ray was his agent doesn't make this a good move. Makes no sense! Wow just wow

Oh well TG got his ca$h & I bet he's laughing his ass off at this move. Guess I'll call him this weekend to get his thoughts after his firing blows over a little longer. He will be coaching soon again.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the hire, but to be fair to his NFL record, take a look at who he had at quarterback. We all know there is not winning in the NFL without a competent QB. I doubt Belichick would do much better. He did alright when he had a decent QB that could play a majority of games in the season.

2001: 10-6, Vinny Testaverde (16)
2002: 9-7, Chad Pennington (12), Vinny Testaverde (4)
2003: 6-10, Chad Pennington (9), Vinny Testaverde (7)
2004: 10-6, Chad Pennington (13), Vinny Testaverde (3)
2005: 4-12, Brooks Bollinger (9), Vinny Testaverde (4), Chad Pennington (3)
2006: 9-7, Trent Green (8), Damon Huard (8)
2007: 4-12, Brodie Croyle (10), Damon Huard (6)
2008 : 2-14, Tyler Thigpen (11), Brodie Croyle (3), Damon Huard (2)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Why in the world are they not trying to lure Novell away from MEM? Dude is only 37 years old and has turned MEM into an offensive force. He can't want bank breaking money would he? ARK is making a run at him.
Could be they had in his contract ASU couldn't hire him. Todd & him were pretty tight as well so I don't think it was an option

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This has "disaster" written all over it. We will win one or two games in 2019. That is my prediction. Hope I'm wrong, of course.

I'm trying, but I can't think of one positive aspect of Edwards over anyone else.

What about 2018?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I don't know what to say than this as an ASU fan: If the best we can do is hire Edwards we should have saved the 12 million and kept Todd.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Herm will be measured, in large part, by how his guys recruit and if he can close those those deals. I don't think next year will be a huge issue assuming the staff truly stays. The offense will be loaded with skill position players and 4 returning starters on the OL.

Bennett was getting more out of the defense and a second year under his tutelage should produce results.

I think Herm plays well in the living room of recruits. If he can then act like a good CEO and guide the staff and players I think he will be fine.

I don't love the hire (I was more enthusiastic until I heard his interview with Doug and Wolf yesterday) but I don't hate it either. I do wish Anderson would have actually spent some time bringing guys in and at least acting like he was checking all his boxes.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive always thought Edwards was very, very overrated. He is a good man and will be good with kids but he still has to recruit them and coach football. Sumlin would have excited me, this says disaster IMO.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Radio guys just brought up an interesting thought. Will current coordinators and position coaches want to stay on with Edwards coming in? Napier’s name is linked as a OC candidate at PSU, hard to pass that up to stay at ASU if he is offered the job. So it will be interesting if Edwards has to replace coordinators after Anderson insisted new coach would have to keep them. This is going to be a crazy next couple of weeks.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well the rumor is that Graham basically wasn't coaching anyway. He was just like an overseer while the assistants did the actual coaching.

If that's true, and I was hearing this months ago, then all of this starts making a ton of sense. Herm Edwards can continue in that role, but potentially do better recruiting.

I'd have to say he has a shot. All these recruits have seen his mug on ESPN for the past 8-9 years. They grew up with him. He's a recognizable face. They know his shtick. I think that opens alot of doors. When they then see him in their homes, I think he can win some recruits over.

He can talk about how he knows how to get to the NFL and whats needed to stay there.

I don't know if all that will put us over the hump or even keep us from not sinking into crap, but I can see that benefiting us.

I don't know what other changes will be made. Different offensive philosophy? Defensively? Much can go wrong here, but I do see an angle where it can be good.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Jay Feeley was on Doug & Wolf this morning and essentially summed up all I've been trying to say... If I can find the link to the interview I'll post it. In short, Feeley is extremely bullish on the Edwards hire. Believes he will be a beast in recruiting and as touched on by CardsFan88, Feeley suggested that most college coaches don't do a ton of "coaching"... they are builders of programs/systems, motivators and leaders. If this is indeed true, Edwards has a very real chance to make serious improvements over and above the Todd Graham era...