Who do you want to be ASU's next football coach?

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I thought I heard the interview was going to be this weekend.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
That's a bit over the top... If Herm was chosen, ASU would be getting a guy who knows how to coach, who - like Graham, is a high-character guy who would never harm the university with scandal or malcontents, and I guess most importantly, would come cheaply (heard a deal would be in the range of $3MM a year). I actually think Herm would do a good job in recruiting as well...
Don't know how the wins and losses would shake out, but "regretting for years to come?" I don't think so...
Sure, he's a good guy, but what are some of his noteworthy coaching successes in the NFL? He hasn't been in the college game in forever, since he was a DBs coach at SJSU in the 80s.

In addition to which, you have to wonder how thorough of a job Anderson did in this coaching search. Edwards was one of his clients when Anderson was an agent. To me, that sounds sleazy. Did Ray fire a coach that many fans adored in favor of one of his buddies, who has considerably less experience in college coaching? Is this really the guy who's going to propel ASU to the top of the conference and consistent Top-15 finishes, as Ray boasts?

If I'm an ASU fan, I'm less than thrilled about how this whole situation unfolded from start to finish.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Sure, he's a good guy, but what are some of his noteworthy coaching successes in the NFL? He hasn't been in the college game in forever, since he was a DBs coach at SJSU in the 80s.

In addition to which, you have to wonder how thorough of a job Anderson did in this coaching search. Edwards was one of his clients when Anderson was an agent. To me, that sounds sleazy. Did Ray fire a coach that many fans adored in favor of one of his buddies, who has considerably less experience in college coaching? Is this really the guy who's going to propel ASU to the top of the conference and consistent Top-15 finishes, as Ray boasts?

If I'm an ASU fan, I'm less than thrilled about how this whole situation unfolded from start to finish.

Meh... he had 4 winning seasons and 4 losing seasons as a NFL coach. He went to the playoffs 4 times. It's not like he was Rich Kotite and One Heartbeat! ;)

Recruiting should be interesting to watch... I can see his playing and coaching in the NFL as a positive/attractive element and that there might very well be kids who will want to play for a guy who has all of that NFL experience and NFL connections.
Who else out there was a better option? I know there are some... but Les Miles and Sumlin were not coming here unless the $$ was over the top. I haven't heard any official numbers on Herm's deal, but the speculation was in the range of $3MM per... Ain't no way guys like Miles and Sumlin were coming to Tempe at that price...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any coach coming in was bound to have their respective list of negatives... What beef do you have with Herm??

He hasn't coached since 2008, he is 63 and has no college recruiting experience for starters.

If the Sun Devils were not going for a top head coach candidate, they should have stuck with Graham until something better comes along.

Maybe Crow should not approve this hire.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He hasn't coached since 2008, he is 63 and has no college recruiting experience for starters.

If the Sun Devils were not going for a top head coach candidate, they should have stuck with Graham until something better comes along.

Graham wasn't Anderson's "guy"... I think this decision was made long ago. I might be proven wrong, but I don't see Herm doing any worse than Graham... and I tend to believe that he has a decent shot at improving upon Graham's record.
As for recruiting... ASU is always, always, always gonna suffer when it comes to recruiting. As has been chronicled for so many years, ASU competes with USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon and the Texas schools... no matter who ASU brought in, recruiting was going to be an issue - just as it's always been...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Graham wasn't Anderson's "guy"... I think this decision was made long ago. I might be proven wrong, but I don't see Herm doing any worse than Graham... and I tend to believe that he has a decent shot at improving upon Graham's record.
As for recruiting... ASU is always, always, always gonna suffer when it comes to recruiting. As has been chronicled for so many years, ASU competes with USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon and the Texas schools... no matter who ASU brought in, recruiting was going to be an issue - just as it's always been...

I don't think one pays Graham 12 million + and hires an inexperienced head coach in college football. I'm not sure Anderson can make an impartial hire in this situation.

If one steps back, the Sun Devils are hiring him only to be the face of the football program as the coordinators will be doing the coaching and recruiting.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I don't think one pays Graham 12 million + and hires an inexperienced head coach in college football. I'm not sure Anderson can make an impartial hire in this situation.

If one steps back, the Sun Devils are hiring him only to be the face of the football program as the coordinators will be doing the coaching and recruiting.

Ok... and?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Precisely. This guy hasn't coached since... 2008... 9 years.

If he replaces the current staff with a bunch of geezers who haven’t coached in 9 years as well, I’ll be concerned. But everything I’m hearing is that most, of not all of the current staff will remain...
Herm knows football. And he is an extremely solid guy and leader. I think his style could apply to the college level better than it did in the NFL...
Again, I could be totally wrong and ASU might win 2-3 games each year for the next 3-4 seasons... But I don’t think so. I think Herm presents as good of a chance for improvement as any other coach that could’ve been brought in... and again, Miles and Sumlin weren’t coming in.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Someone “adored” graham?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he replaces the current staff with a bunch of geezers who haven’t coached in 9 years as well, I’ll be concerned. But everything I’m hearing is that most, of not all of the current staff will remain...
Herm knows football. And he is an extremely solid guy and leader. I think his style could apply to the college level better than it did in the NFL...
Again, I could be totally wrong and ASU might win 2-3 games each year for the next 3-4 seasons... But I don’t think so. I think Herm presents as good of a chance for improvement as any other coach that could’ve been brought in... and again, Miles and Sumlin weren’t coming in.

I don't think the Sun Devils should bet on an unproven head coach. They will be stuck with him for years if it doesn't work out.

Bottom line, don't fire Graham unless there is close to a sure thing hire.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I don't think the Sun Devils should bet on an unproven head coach. They will be stuck with him for years if it doesn't work out.

Bottom line, don't fire Graham unless there is close to a sure thing hire.

C’mon man... A “sure thing???” For ASU?? Did you think they would’ve had a shot at Chip Kelly??

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C’mon man... A “sure thing???” For ASU?? Did you think they would’ve had a shot at Chip Kelly??

Then why make the coaching change unless they can do better. It doesn't make sense.

If the Sun Devils go the NFL route at least hire someone who has more recent head coaching experience and hopefully younger.

82CardsGrad, why are you sold on this hire?

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
ASU fans could ignite the pitchforks like they did to the June Jones hire.

And Junes Jones would have been a much much better hire on paper than Edwards. I think there will definitely be backlash from the fans, boosters, alumni, etc if this hire goes through.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Then why make the coaching change unless they can do better. It doesn't make sense.

If the Sun Devils go the NFL route at least hire someone who has more recent head coaching experience and hopefully younger.

82CardsGrad, why are you sold on this hire?

I’m not 100% sold on this move. I’m also not 100% against it and am more intrigued by than freaked out...
As to “why?” - it’s very simple... Anderson inherited Graham. And Todd did enough to cause enough concern that it made Ray’s decision quite simple, given his existing relationship with Herm. Nothing more to it than that...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not 100% sold on this move. I’m also not 100% against it and am more intrigued by than freaked out...
As to “why?” - it’s very simple... Anderson inherited Graham. And Todd did enough to cause enough concern that it made Ray’s decision quite simple, given his existing relationship with Herm. Nothing more to it than that...

I don't think the AD should make the call based on a friendship whether he inherited Graham or not. IMO, he should have explored other candidates before firing Graham. If this is the best he can do, he shouldn't cost the school 12 + million and the cost of a new head coach.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Reports are that the staff will stay intact. I think Herm is here to recruit and manage the staff. I think he is more GM than HC. Only time will tell if it works.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the AD should make the call based on a friendship whether he inherited Graham or not. IMO, he should have explored other candidates before firing Graham. If this is the best he can do, he shouldn't cost the school 12 + million and the cost of a new head coach.

Or at the very least, interview at least one other person.