Who do you want to be ASU's next football coach?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He certainly has the charisma, and will attract players with his NFL pedigree. I still don't get the angle though...is he going to hire a bunch of ex-NFL guys on his staff and tell recruits that ASU will be the best place for them to develop to make it to the next level? Interesting to see how this will play out.

Try to recruit and run an NFL-style drop back passer? Tell recruits that ASU is the place to go if you want to be NFL-ready?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Try to recruit and run an NFL-style drop back passer? Tell recruits that ASU is the place to go if you want to be NFL-ready?
That's all recruits want...almost all of them will say their goal is to make it to the NFL. Herm also coaches the under armour all star game where all the top level recruits play...so maybe he already has his foot in the door...who knows. He would certainly bring in some position coaches with tons of experience, so that's enticing as well.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why in the world are they not trying to lure Novell away from MEM? Dude is only 37 years old and has turned MEM into an offensive force. He can't want bank breaking money would he? ARK is making a run at him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should've kept TG if that's the best they can do. He's 63 and hasn't coached in ten years.

I'm trending this direction although I hope Anderson has someone else in mind.

Hope ASU did not fire the wrong person in the athletic department. :confused:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Sumlin would be a great hire for ASU. His offense is perfect for the Pac-12. Don't understand going after a coach who can collect social security.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Sumlin would be a great hire for ASU. His offense is perfect for the Pac-12. Don't understand going after a coach who can collect social security.

The Sun Devils could do much worse. I understand he is a good recruiter. This would help a lot.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thinking it over, Edwards does make a lot of sense for ASU. The only negative is he's old. But, he is charismatic, energetic, has NFL experience as a player and a coach. Plus, Herm has experience with HS recruits having coached in the Under Armour All American Bowl the last 7 years and is a symposium speaker at the Combine so he deals with college athletes alot. He won't command big money, will run a clean program and may be on board with retaining the current ASU coordinators. Nick Saban is 66 years old.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perfect for those who say it would take a miracle for ASU to become a national power.

I just want them to consistently be a PAC12 power. I think Edwards can really do wonders in a recruits living room. The more I think about this the more interesting it becomes

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hiring Herm Edwards is ridiculous. He is a failed HC in the pros. He has no recruiting pipeline and would set the ASU program back 10 years :barf:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hiring Herm Edwards is ridiculous. He is a failed HC in the pros. He has no recruiting pipeline and would set the ASU program back 10 years :barf:

But, Herm would probably keep the coordinators if he gets the job. And the way Anderson said a LOT about these guys staying on here that was not a coincidence at all perhaps. He could be laying some ground work so fans might not be so surprised if it happens.

Nothing can go wrong with chemistry when you are working with guys hired by the last coach, right?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Herm Edwards resume:
The former NFL cornerback has not coached since 2008, when he guided the Kansas City Chiefs to a 2-14 record. In eight seasons as an NFL head coach, including stints with the New York Jets (2001-05) and Chiefs (2006-08), Edwards went 54-74.

Why on earth would you hire a 63 year old guy with this record!!!

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Anderson under pressure from Crow has put himself in a tight spot. He wants ASU to be with the big dawgs but he doesn’t have the money to land a coach that will get ASU there. Edwards personality help with recruiting and as radio guys pointed out no coach in his right mind would accept a job where he can’t bring in his own guys, again ASU doesn’t have the money for a big time coach and certainly not for a top notch assistants. For the position ASU is in, Edwards may be the best they can get.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why in the world are they not trying to lure Novell away from MEM? Dude is only 37 years old and has turned MEM into an offensive force. He can't want bank breaking money would he? ARK is making a run at him.
I don't think he'd be interested, seeing as his previous mentor was just fired.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Based on how freely he’s been discussing the vacancy, I highly doubt Herm is the guy. This is just a Trump-like distraction from the real candidate(s). If Herm is the guy, based on his resume, ASU will be regretting this move for years to come.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 4m4 minutes ago

Update on the #ASU head coaching search: Am told Herm Edwards isn't the only long-time NFL guy that has been a target of the Sun Devils leadership this week.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Based on how freely he’s been discussing the vacancy, I highly doubt Herm is the guy. This is just a Trump-like distraction from the real candidate(s). If Herm is the guy, based on his resume, ASU will be regretting this move for years to come.

That's a bit over the top... If Herm was chosen, ASU would be getting a guy who knows how to coach, who - like Graham, is a high-character guy who would never harm the university with scandal or malcontents, and I guess most importantly, would come cheaply (heard a deal would be in the range of $3MM a year). I actually think Herm would do a good job in recruiting as well...
Don't know how the wins and losses would shake out, but "regretting for years to come?" I don't think so...

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doug Haller‏Verified account@DougHaller 2m2 minutes ago

One thing I keep hearing during this coaching search: Billy Napier has impressed a lot of people in his 11 months in Tempe.