Who do you want to be ASU's next football coach?

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
I think the vast majority of us can agree that it's time for Graham to go. Who would you like to see as ASU's next football coach?

Some of the names at the top of my list would be -

Chip Kelly
Les Miles
Mike Norvell

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think the vast majority of us can agree that it's time for Graham to go. Who would you like to see as ASU's next football coach?

Some of the names at the top of my list would be -

Chip Kelly
Les Miles
Mike Norvell

Want NO part of Kelly and Miles... Would be happy with Norvell if he chose to come back!

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I would want Les Miles or Chip Kelly. You need a big name coach to recruit top national talent. They have a track record of building winning programs in college football.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Brent Venables...DC for Clemson. Would be an amazing hire, but doubt we would be high on the list.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I'll take this guy if he can recruit some descent players!!!
ASU has never had an elite program but they used to recruit at least a few pro quality prospects every year. They have a great facility, great weather, play in a big conference, descent history. Why can't they recruit top talent anymore?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
With signature wins over Oregon and Washington, did Graham secure another year?

I'd say that if he can get 1 more upset (USC?), take care of business against Oregon State and Arizona, and make any bowl whatsoever, he is definitely safe. But maybe he already is...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
With signature wins over Oregon and Washington, did Graham secure another year?

I'd say that if he can get 1 more upset (USC?), take care of business against Oregon State and Arizona, and make any bowl whatsoever, he is definitely safe. But maybe he already is...

Oregon sucks this year... but the win Saturday night was special for sure. Still, I don't think Graham is safe just yet. If he craps the bed the rest of the way (very likely), I gotta believe he's toast. They can very easily lose next week in Utah and I believe they will.. USC should easily roll thru Sun Devil... Colorado will be a tough one and honestly, if the Buffs win that game I don't think a lot of people would be surprised. We then go to UCLA and again, could and most likely will lose. And then we wrap up the season at Oregon State and home against UofA. Yes, the Oregon State game should be a cake-walk. But, by then, having likely suffered 4 straight losses and looking toward the UofA game, the game will likely be much closer than it should be. And against UofA, with a QB who presents a MASSIVE challenge to any defense, particularly the Devils who lack depth, speed and are undersized...would it really be a shock if the Cats came out of Tempe with the W?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The question now is who would take the job that would be an improvement over Graham. I was hoping for Les Miles but I don't think he would be interested. Maybe Chip Kelly but I doubt he would want to come back to college ranks unless its a high profile job. Mark Helfrich is intriguing but someone with major recruiting connections would be ideal.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Due to his buyout and a couple wins this year that were maybe unexpected, Graham is safe.

There isn't another game on the schedule that makes me nervous any longer. If they can keep playing defense at a high level I think a bowl game is highly possible/probable.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Due to his buyout and a couple wins this year that were maybe unexpected, Graham is safe.

There isn't another game on the schedule that makes me nervous any longer.

And yet if they didn't win a game the rest of the season nobody would be surprised... :confused:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet if they didn't win a game the rest of the season nobody would be surprised... :confused:

Very true and if they lose to Oregon State maybe his job status gets into shaky ground again.

My biggest question is: If not Todd Graham than who?

Not who do we want but who is realistic?

Chip isn't coming here. Nor is Miles. I am intrigued by the Venables suggestion and this is the right kind of job for that kind of coach but I suspect he will get better offers.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Bobo at Colorado State
Scott Frost at whatever directional Florida school he is at.

Frost will probably be the people's choice in Nebraska when they toss Riley into the woodchipper but I think he is a reasonable choice

Bobo is doing wonders at CSU. I prefer an offensive coach who can hopefully hire a good defensive staff. CSU has scored the most TDs in MWC.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Charlie Strong at South Florida is 6-0

An interesting suggestion but not sure I like it. His Texas run was not good. How does that record translate to a school like ASU? I know nothing about his ability to recruit. It isn't like Herman is lighting up the big 12 with Strong's players. Not feeling good about this one.

Babers...I just know he beat Clemson and that is about all. Feeling too lazy at the moment to look up his career and see what he is about. If had anything to do with the hideous Syracuse uniforms he should be an automatic no:confused:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An interesting suggestion but not sure I like it. His Texas run was not good. How does that record translate to a school like ASU? I know nothing about his ability to recruit. It isn't like Herman is lighting up the big 12 with Strong's players. Not feeling good about this one.

Babers...I just know he beat Clemson and that is about all. Feeling too lazy at the moment to look up his career and see what he is about. If had anything to do with the hideous Syracuse uniforms he should be an automatic no:confused:

SoCal native, played football at Hawaii, assistant stints at ASU, UA and NAU (along with UNLV, UCLA, etc). Head Coach at Eastern Illinois, Jimmy Garrapolo was his QB, 12-2 final season. Two successful years at Bowling Green

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With wins over Oregon, Washington and now Utah, Graham just saved his job. ASU is playing very good football especially the defense.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With wins over Oregon, Washington and now Utah, Graham just saved his job. ASU is playing very good football especially the defense.

Plus the buyout...

At the moment he is safe. If the Devils implode and miss a bowl then all bets are off. I can see bowl eligibility pretty clearly at the moment. 8-4 is probably their ceiling since I figure they have at least one game where they simply don't have it.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think he is safe but last night wad an ugly home game. They need 2 more wins to be bowl eligible and realistically 3 games to get them since I simply can't see beating U of A this year...man it pains me to say that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave