Who do you want to be ASU's next football coach?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have much choice at a military academy, you have to do something like that to compete with less talent. Dude is a quality person not befitting of the phrase "garbage hire." Nor is Herm Edwards.

Good point. If Niumatalolo is hired I think he will adapt his offense to something like a spread option offense where the QB will have plenty of opportunities to throw the ball.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
You don't have much choice at a military academy, you have to do something like that to compete with less talent. Dude is a quality person not befitting of the phrase "garbage hire." Nor is Herm Edwards.
It's an even worse hire if you're making someone who has run the same system for decades completely change his offensive approach.

I'm sure he is a great guy, so too is Herm Edwards. Neither of them are remotely qualified to run Pac-12 programs. You want quality people who can't win games then both our schools should drop down to Division III.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Mackovic was clueless
Stoops was insane
Rich Rod was so unlikeable

Hard to believe we've had those guys for 17+ years...

Even if it fails miserably I understand the direction they're going. Niumatalolo needs a great staff to make sure recruiting doesn't fall off more than it already did with RR. You can have a well prepared and disciplined team that still goes .500 every year if you don't have the horses.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He has solely run the triple option for almost three decades, it's a bad hire.

I don't think he'll force feed the triple option at Arizona, but rather, keep bits and pieces of it. You're not going to tell Khalil Tate that he's going to throw the ball 2-3 times per game. Some have said that the offense with competent players would resemble that of Chip Kelly's scheme.

When Niumatalolo interviewed for the BYU HC vacancy, he expressed that he wouldn't be married to the triple option. Take that FWIW. Honestly, there is no way the triple option would work in the PAC 12 and even Heeke knows that. Hell, RichRod's run-first offense, despite it being ranked #1 in the conference, was a disaster at times, especially against bigger teams like Oregon and USC.

I think Niumatalolo is a good guy and a good coach. I think the success of this hire will hinge on who he brings as his assistants.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It isn't really. Target #1 and #2 remain on the board.Guys like Neuheisel and Miles were never really serious candidates. A lot of media fodder. IMO, when you hire search firms, there tends to be calculated leaks for one reason or another.
Roller coaster continues with Niumatalolo.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU needs to keep Ken Niumatalolo in mind for their next hire. :sad:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Cat fans are acting like they just got Saban, but when Sumlin was mentioned as candidate for ASU job, reaction from Devil fans was mostly yawns or grimaces.

Not that there was overwhelming enthusiasm for the eventual choice of Edwards, but it just goes to show the relative difference in sensibility of each fan base.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cat fans are acting like they just got Saban, but when Sumlin was mentioned as candidate for ASU job, reaction from Devil fans was mostly yawns or grimaces.

Not that there was overwhelming enthusiasm for the eventual choice of Edwards, but it just goes to show the relative difference in sensibility of each fan base.

Umm... I think you should re-read this thread. A lot more ASU posters were enticed by the idea of getting Sumlin than were happy with the eventual hire of Herm. If Sumlin had been ASU's guy I think a LOT of ASU fans would have been tickled pink.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Umm... I think you should re-read this thread. A lot more ASU posters were enticed by the idea of getting Sumlin than were happy with the eventual hire of Herm. If Sumlin had been ASU's guy I think a LOT of ASU fans would have been tickled pink.
Sumlin was by far the preference over Edwards. Don't really know any ASU fans that were elated about the Edwards hire.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sumlin was by far the preference over Edwards. Don't really know any ASU fans that were elated about the Edwards hire.

This is a fair assessment on what I've read.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Had ASU had the money, Sumlin would be the ASU HC IMO. At least he ends up in the state of AZ so the chances of in state stud recruits staying home have increased.

Raindog

Reaction score

I wasn't referring to just this site by any means... and I didn't say anyone was thrilled about the Herm hiring, but rather the reverse. Sumlin was thought to be the initial favorite, before RA came up with the (ridiculous) Herm thing... and the general initial reaction to the prospect of hiring Sumlin (before Herm was in the picture) was less than enthusiastic.

Of course, after Herm got hired, I do understand that the general opinion among ASU fans was that ANYONE, including Sumlin, would have been a better hire. Believe me, I also hold that opinion.

But it doesn't change the fact that Sumlin overall wasn't an especially exciting choice. The fact that Cat fans are excited about it just shows how lackluster their overall football fortunes are... not saying that ASU's with Edwards are any better, mind you.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I wasn't referring to just this site by any means... and I didn't say anyone was thrilled about the Herm hiring, but rather the reverse. Sumlin was thought to be the initial favorite, before RA came up with the (ridiculous) Herm thing... and the general initial reaction to the prospect of hiring Sumlin (before Herm was in the picture) was less than enthusiastic.

Of course, after Herm got hired, I do understand that the general opinion among ASU fans was that ANYONE, including Sumlin, would have been a better hire. Believe me, I also hold that opinion.

But it doesn't change the fact that Sumlin overall wasn't an especially exciting choice. The fact that Cat fans are excited about it just shows how lackluster their overall football fortunes are... not saying that ASU's with Edwards are any better, mind you.

Sumlin won 8.5 games a year at his last two stops and recruited well. He won't recruit like he did at A&M but it's the best we can do. People were excited about RR and that was coming off a debacle tenure at Michigan so the excitement over Sumlin is warranted.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sumlin was the guy I wanted for ASU. Who on earth would want Edwards except his ex-agent Anderson. What a joke.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Really? Because I see a large portion of the Sun Devil contingent here and on social media who wanted Sumlin and preferred him over Herm Edwards; and many are lamenting it even more now that he's Tucson bound.

Will Sumlin be the Lord and Savior of Arizona football? Probably not. However, given the circumstances, his hiring was the best outcome possible. It's hard to scoff at getting a good coach and one of the best recruiters on the trail.

Raindog

Reaction score
Really? Because I see a large portion of the Sun Devil contingent here and on social media who wanted Sumlin and preferred him over Herm Edwards; and many are lamenting it even more now that he's Tucson bound.

Will Sumlin be the Lord and Savior of Arizona football? Probably not. However, given the circumstances, his hiring was the best outcome possible. It's hard to scoff at getting a good coach and one of the best recruiters on the trail.

Once again, nobody was all that thrilled about the prospect of Sumlin as ASU coach until AFTER they hired Edwards... and only after that was anyone really lamenting missing out on Sumlin. And that is only because Edwards was such a joke hire. If ASU didn't have a clown as an AD and had hired a legitimate candidate, no one would care about Sumlin going to Tucson.

Frankly, I am pretty confident that both ASU and UA will be repeating this whole process in another 3 to 4 years. Then maybe one of them will be able to hire Jimbo Fisher after he gets canned at A&M in four years.