Arizona Diamondbacks @ SF Giants Aug 27 - Aug 29, 2018

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Souza is a washout... I understand Torey attempting to do anything to try to get him kicked into gear... but leadoff? When we've been shutout in back to back games?? Seems like a bit of a stretch...but, who knows maybe it works.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Just to complete my comments on this topic...
While not perfect, as injuries play a big factor, I took a look at how the Dbacks compare to the Red Sox in terms of a "steady" lineup... I specifically looked at # of at-bats. And here is what I found:

The Red Sox have 5 players with more than 400 at-bats. They also have 3 more with more than 350 at-bats.
The Dbacks have 4 players with more than 400 at-bats (Goldy, Perralta, Marte and Ahmed). Pollock has 311. Jay has 230. Descalso has 292. Lamb, Owings and Dyson all have over 200... with Lamb and Dyson gone due to injury. And all three catchers have around the same, roughly between 160-180 at-bats.

I looked at the Yankees as well, and found that they have 4 players with more than 400 at-bats. 2 with more than 350...
The Cubs have 3 players with more than 400 at-bats. And 5 more with over 350.

Now, feel free to dice that up and describe how the Dbacks are vastly different than most other contending teams... :rolleyes:

Thank you for researching that information. It shows that, over the course of the season, different lineups have been used by other teams as well, in reacting to injuries, then preparing for the stretch drive.

What bothers me is that, especially with Souza batting leadoff tonight for the first time on August 29th, the Diamondbacks continue to experiment at a time when experimenting, or the need for it, should be over. The best options should be in place and rolling. Especially with the injuries to our position players over for quite awhile.

As I posted, inconsistent management decisions lead to inconsistent results. We're watching it happen! Ironically, now that we are being shut out game after game, inconsistency has given way to lack of production and, evidently, confidence. The position players are lost and are in a downhill spiral and the people in charge need to answer for it.

It is too late in the season for that! Especially with Torey Lovullo having announced recently that he is going to go with a consistent lineup for the rest of the season, then has done the opposite. He is destroying his own credibility and thus has become his own worst enemy.

I've listened to his post-game interviews with Todd Walsh, almost whispering while walking on eggshells. "I don't know." "We'll take a look at it." It cries out desperation. It is almost September, Torey. A skilled Manager would have figured it out by now.

82, are you concerned with the state of our D-backs at this time? We should be peaking and instead we're playing our worst baseball of the season. He's choked.

Not a good trend. Nothing speaks louder than results!

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wouldn't downplay the D-backs hitters. Since everyone has returned from injury, we have a solid lineup of line drive hitters, which is what Hitting Coach Dave Magadan was as a Mets 3B.

If only he would stop encouraging this team to swing for the fences indiscriminately. Pick their pitches to drive, but aim to make contact and hit the rest into the gaps.

We are in the National League, the league of strategy. Our last victory was a walk-off bunt which led to an error. Did Lovullo call for Pollock to bunt? No, it became public that Pollock signaled to the Manager that he was going to.

Since then, the hitters have evidently lost confidence in their coaching staff and, therefore, themselves with the continuation of players not knowing their roles. I don't like beating a dead horse, but look at the results. Ahmed running through a stop sign is a clear indication of a player taking it upon himself to try to make something happen.

Pollock. Ahmed. We are witnessing a mild mutiny. Or, at the least, disregarding the manager and coaching staff. Keep your eyes on it, guys.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Boston and NY have more money and resources. Not downplaying our team but Boston and NY are better. Period. Makes the manager’s job easier.

AZ Native

Reaction score
#deathspiral

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
September has not been our month and the last 2 nights of great pitching performances gave us 2 heartbreaking losses. All we can do is hope we can turn the tide, starting tonight.

We need to win our division and with our SP’s 1-3 we could make some noise.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And the latest gimmick, batting Souza leadoff, results in a leadoff 50-foot popup.

Followed by a popup. Three pitches. Two popups.

Yeah, hit 'em into the air.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Followed by 2 walks, both left on base.

I'll be watching the rest of the game, but I'm going to stop posting.

Good luck, D-backs.

AZ Native

Reaction score
Godley gets out of the first on 13 pitches. Let’s hope he can continue.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I thought it might be good to challenge that play just to give Godley a blow before he has to pitch the next inning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Native

Reaction score
Godley at 61 pitches through 5. 3-0 good guys.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Chafin did a did a nice job striking out Crawford. Boxberger better do the same....

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow. I have to admit, chafin and boxberger pitched awesome. Godley pitched his best game. He just needs to get past the mental issues as you can tell he was effected by the second hit by the Giants as he walked the next batter within 4/5 pitches.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard