2013 Summer League

Errntknght

Reaction score
Archie is probably in close to an ideal situation here in Phoenix - the biggest pressure he's going to be under this next year is the Suns fans wanting see him performing in the games. He was probably being advised to stay in school longer to improve and likely up his position in the draft - doubling his first contract would have been quite probable - but he wanted out for some reason. Maybe it was the pressure of the Kentucky program or a distaste for academics, who knows. It could be that it would easier to have a sibling or someone close living with him as a pro. He can also afford to fly home as often as he likes.
I don't see much advantage in sending him down to the D league - if I were Hornacek I don't think I'd let him out of my sight. Maybe if the D team was in Little Rock (his home town). He'll get better coaching here and I see no reason why he wouldn't get as much playing time as he needs - unless he's already so good we win too many games when he plays a lot.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Welllll ... Goodwin's missing out on starting 40+ games with lots of good coaching, not to mention being allowed to mature physically, emotionally and mentally with his peers for one more year. Instead, he's going to get paid $1.09 million a year for doing a lot of sitting and watching, and he's only got two years to show value.

I'm going to suggest the arc on Goodwin's career is a bit steeper on this side because of his decision to leave early, so he's probably not going to be quite the player in two years that he would be if he had stayed in school.

Yea but apparently one of the main reasons that Goodwin left was cause he knew that with the incoming class to Kentucky (James Young, Harrison twins among others), he probably wouldn't have got much of an opportunity at UK anyways.

He did leave early but I think staying at UK probably wouldn't have been all that beneficial.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Archie is probably in close to an ideal situation here in Phoenix - the biggest pressure he's going to be under this next year is the Suns fans wanting see him performing in the games. He was probably being advised to stay in school longer to improve and likely up his position in the draft - doubling his first contract would have been quite probable - but he wanted out for some reason. Maybe it was the pressure of the Kentucky program or a distaste for academics, who knows. It could be that it would easier to have a sibling or someone close living with him as a pro. He can also afford to fly home as often as he likes.
I don't see much advantage in sending him down to the D league - if I were Hornacek I don't think I'd let him out of my sight. Maybe if the D team was in Little Rock (his home town). He'll get better coaching here and I see no reason why he wouldn't get as much playing time as he needs - unless he's already so good we win too many games when he plays a lot.
That is a situation that I can't see anything negative in. There is no guarantee that we get Wiggins regardless how bad our record is and it's my understanding that next year's draft is going to be very deep in "elite" talent. If we end up being somewhat mediocre this year simply because our young guys getting playing time leads to winning games than that is a great situation IMO.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That is a situation that I can't see anything negative in. There is no guarantee that we get Wiggins regardless how bad our record is and it's my understanding that next year's draft is going to be very deep in "elite" talent. If we end up being somewhat mediocre this year simply because our young guys getting playing time leads to winning games than that is a great situation IMO.

I don't think next year's draft is very deep in terms of elite talent. There is probably 4 or 5 guys right now with elite talent that look like potential superstars in the future.

Now, it's obviously really early. We won't start knowing for sure until it gets to 2014.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. I fully anticipate the ridiculous charade of "student athlete" to go by the wayside at some point here. It's a complete farce that these kids don't get paid for the revenue they're generating, and to have them show up for half a semester, drop out and be assoicated with a school is ridiculous.

And the answer is let them decided between college and the d-league. In the d-league they can get paid, they can work on their games all the time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yep. If Goodwin is good enough to make a difference in our win total this year, then he is in a class with those other top prospects in the 2014 draft. We just got him a year early.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think next year's draft is very deep in terms of elite talent. There is probably 4 or 5 guys right now with elite talent that look like potential superstars in the future.

Now, it's obviously really early. We won't start knowing for sure until it gets to 2014.

I think there is more (several more) than 4 or 5 that project as potential superstars but even leaving it at your number, that is considered deep for elite players. Things will change between now and draft day but this looks to be one of the best drafts in recent memory for game-changer talents. There are 4 or 5 first year players that are already considered elite and more will come from this freshman class and that's before you get to the sophomores that are poised to explode.

Steve

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If anyone hasn't signed up to stream the summer league games on NBA.com, the last few days (tourney) is only $4.99 for all the games.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad y'all are so positive about an 18-year-old. Hey, I think Goodwin has the ability to be a Richard Dumas-type player without the Richard Dumas-type headaches.

I also know if I had an 18-year-old boy, I wouldn't want him to do the rest of his growing up in an NBA locker room. But those are the days we're living in ...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad y'all are so positive about an 18-year-old. Hey, I think Goodwin has the ability to be a Richard Dumas-type player without the Richard Dumas-type headaches.

I also know if I had an 18-year-old boy, I wouldn't want him to do the rest of his growing up in an NBA locker room. But those are the days we're living in ...

I'm hopeful but if I had to put a bet down I'd bet against him. He has a chance to be special, he has a better chance to be a distant memory in a few years. There's also a fair chance that if he does become a special player it will be at the end of his rookie contract, perhaps even too late to do us any good.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, even though I criticized the selection of Len, it had nothing to do with McLemore. I didn't really want McLemore by that time anyway, I just didn't like the idea of Len. I've always been concerned about his injury issues but other than that I've grown a little more comfortable with our draft choice. I won't ever second guess it based on McLemore's success or failure as Ben pretty much blew us off from all accounts.

Steve

So who was it you wanted?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who was it you wanted?

By the time we drafted, I would have preferred either a trade with Minnesota in order to take McCollum or a trade into a future draft. I'm not sure either was a real option but I had my fingers crossed anyway. I had never considered Len a real possibility so I'll admit I really hadn't watched much video on him. I mentioned a couple months before the draft my concern about his ankle and then when the Cleveland rumors started I just forgot all about him. Now, after watching more video on him, I'm fine with the choice if his bones hold up.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think there is more (several more) than 4 or 5 that project as potential superstars but even leaving it at your number, that is considered deep for elite players. Things will change between now and draft day but this looks to be one of the best drafts in recent memory for game-changer talents. There are 4 or 5 first year players that are already considered elite and more will come from this freshman class and that's before you get to the sophomores that are poised to explode.

Steve
True. We'll know more about those guys and their potential in the NBA after March.

I'm not even willing to write Wiggins as a superstar or clear #1 pick yet. Shabazz was given all that hype as well and we all know how that turned out.

Tough to predict about players before they even play in college.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. We'll know more about those guys and their potential in the NBA after March.

I'm not even willing to write Wiggins as a superstar or clear #1 pick yet. Shabazz was given all that hype as well and we all know how that turned out.

Tough to predict about players before they even play in college.

That's true but the buzz about Shabazz was nowhere near the level of Wiggins. With more exposure against top players his star might lose a little shine too but right now Wiggins is the most highly regarded pre-freshman since Lebron.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's true but the buzz about Shabazz was nowhere near the level of Wiggins. With more exposure against top players his star might lose a little shine too but right now Wiggins is the most highly regarded pre-freshman since Lebron.

Steve

I think because he was such a bust people forget about the hype Oden received. I recall hearing hearing the "next David Robinson" talk before he finished his junior year of high school. Wiggins is certainly the most hyped since Oden, but I dont think he surpasses it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think because he was such a bust people forget about the hype Oden received. I recall hearing hearing the "next David Robinson" talk before he finished his junior year of high school. Wiggins is certainly the most hyped since Oden, but I dont think he surpasses it.

Oden was certainly hyped quite a bit, I have no idea how to truly compare the two in that regard. I will point out that I didn't invent the Lebron comment, that's how I've heard Wiggins talked about for a few years now. So, in a Hype War, I'd lean towards Wiggins simply because "the next David Robinson" isn't as impressive as "the best prospect since Lebron James".

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't recall anyone ever calling Oden the next David Robinson considering Robinson had the offensive game of a small forward back then.

Besides Oden was not a bust because of lack of talent, it's only injuries. When he was healthy and playing Portland was a dominant defensive team and Oden was what 19 or 20 at the time? There is no telling how great he could have become had he stayed healthy.

I'd guess a healthy Oden would easily be the best center in the league right now so I have a hard time calling Oden a "bust".

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
There's also a fair chance that if he does become a special player it will be at the end of his rookie contract, perhaps even too late to do us any good.

Steve

Wait. What? When exactly do you think we will be competing again? 4 years from now is exactly when it will do us good.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
- but he wanted out for some reason. Maybe it was the pressure of the Kentucky program or a distaste for academics, who knows.

It was the Kentucky incoming class that forced his hand apparently. A decision very similar to the one Grant Jerett made.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recall anyone ever calling Oden the next David Robinson considering Robinson had the offensive game of a small forward back then.

Besides Oden was not a bust because of lack of talent, it's only injuries. When he was healthy and playing Portland was a dominant defensive team and Oden was what 42 or 43 at the time? There is no telling how great he could have become had he stayed healthy.

I'd guess a healthy Oden would easily be the best center in the league right now so I have a hard time calling Oden a "bust".

FTFY

Here he is as a 41 year old freshman at OSU. Grey Away should use him as thier spokesman.

You must be registered for see images

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait. What? When exactly do you think we will be competing again? 4 years from now is exactly when it will do us good.

I was just talking about the chance we'd lose him to free agency if he didn't hit his stride until near the end of his rookie contract.

Steve

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so what Lebron would have looked as old with the same haircut as Oden

First off, it was a joke.

Second, this is Lebron his rookie season, at the same age as Oden in the aboce picture. LeBron will looks like a kid.

Prior to his rookie season in Summer League. He looks like Greg could be his father.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Very funny, banky. That Oden pic is obviously from one of those Uncle Drew commercials.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort