2013 Summer League

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't want to see Marshall this half at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully we're saving him for the 5th overtime where his lack of speed will be less of an issue against all those tired Warriors.

Steve

I think it goes back to a previous discussion in the forum. You can't win a job in summer league but you can prove you don't belong in summer league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the Morris brothers think they are SGs.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it goes back to a previous discussion in the forum. You can't win a job in summer league but you can prove you don't belong in summer league.

That's not always true. Kevin Durant, John Wall among others sucked in SL also.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides the Morris twins, Tucker and Goodwin, I didn't see any players on the summer league team that looked to help the Suns this coming season.

I think Marshall and Garrett will be going to training camp but I didn't see any thing to excite me about their game.

Maybe the Suns should shop other summer league rosters for prospects. GS amazes me year in and year out with their ability to find undrafted FAs who have game such as Anthony Morrow, Anthony Tolliver and Ian Clark.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Besides the Morris twins, Tucker and Goodwin, I didn't see any players on the summer league team that looked to help the Suns this coming season.

I think Babb might have a shot at becoming a 3&D type player. I, too, was impressed by Ian Clark.

Onoaku might have an outside-outside shot, but he's already in his late 20s.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What happened to all the Christmas love? Gushed about in 80% of the games and then nowhere to be found.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What happened to all the Christmas love? Gushed about in 80% of the games and then nowhere to be found.

Dionte Christmas Drawing Interest From Suns, Others
Jul 23, 2013 11:28 AM EDT

LAS VEGAS – Amid a strong finish over the final week of NBA summer league, Dionte Christmas has received interest from teams, including from the organization he played for, the Phoenix Suns.

“I’m getting positive feedback from a lot of teams,” Christmas told RealGM. “Perhaps I get a call saying they want to see me in training camp or hopefully sign me for the season.”

Christmas averaged 10.1 points and 2.7 rebounds in seven games, helping lead the Suns to the summer league championship game. In his mind, the Suns are one of the organizations he hopes to land on.

“Yeah, it would be a dream come true,” Christmas said. “If they sign me for the year, that’s what I’m here for and that’s my goal.

“There were a lot of games through the course of three, four weeks in Orlando and Vegas, but I held my own and hopefully I get a call from one of these teams in the next week or so.”

After finishing a four-year career at Temple, Christmas reached deals at different points with the Philadelphia 76ers, Houston Rockets and Boston Celtics, but he ultimately never played a game with either team. Christmas, 26, spent last season overseas.

He reminds me of a less athletic Shannon Brown too much for my liking.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Isn't that what you want in a bench player? At least if he can shoot okay I mean.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not always true. Kevin Durant, John Wall among others sucked in SL also.

Yeah but they were physically able to do it, Durant had to get stronger and learn shot selection, but you could see he was athletic enough to play in the NBA. Wall was a freak athlete but again out of control, bad shot selection. One and dones who played in prepschools and AAU ball and then for coaches who don't really teach fundamentals.

Marshall's issue is he's just not a good athlete or a good shooter, he's very fundamentally sound, wasn't a one and done and was well coached in HS and even college(not a huge Roy fan). But he's not going to get much quicker or athletic. Durant could get stronger and learn shot selection, Wall calmed down and learned, Marshall can't learn to be more athletic.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but they were physically able to do it, Durant had to get stronger and learn shot selection, but you could see he was athletic enough to play in the NBA. Wall was a freak athlete but again out of control, bad shot selection. One and dones who played in prepschools and AAU ball and then for coaches who don't really teach fundamentals.

Marshall's issue is he's just not a good athlete or a good shooter, he's very fundamentally sound, wasn't a one and done and was well coached in HS and even college(not a huge Roy fan). But he's not going to get much quicker or athletic. Durant could get stronger and learn shot selection, Wall calmed down and learned, Marshall can't learn to be more athletic.

Sums it up nicely. He can improve his lot somewhat by improving his shot but his ceiling is a slightly less than average backup point guard. They grow on trees, no reason to keep him unless the money says so.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sums it up nicely. He can improve his lot somewhat by improving his shot but his ceiling is a slightly less than average backup point guard. They grow on trees, no reason to keep him unless the money says so.

Steve

The bigger problem is that HE THiINKS he is starting caliber and he is not afraid to voice complaints even publicly. That will derail his chances of reaching whatever potential he has.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
The bigger problem is that HE THiINKS he is starting caliber and he is not afraid to voice complaints even publicly. That will derail his chances of reaching whatever potential he has.

Yep. It's great to have confidence but Marshall's is out of control. Those tweet complaints about what Hornacek said were disgraceful.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting article regarding top rookies in the SL. Archie gets some nice praise. Zeller and Olynyk were the two biggest surprises for me and I agree with their assessments of Mclemore and Burke being the most disappointing

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/...top-rookies-rankings-cody-zeller-kelly-olynyk

No real surprises to me there except Otto Porter and Allen Crabbe. I expected Allen Crabbe to look like a mid-first rounder and I thought Porter would be among the best. Oh yeah, one more surprise, I expected Steven Adams to be one of the biggest disappointments out of this class.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting article regarding top rookies in the SL. Archie gets some nice praise. Zeller and Olynyk were the two biggest surprises for me and I agree with their assessments of Mclemore and Burke being the most disappointing

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/...top-rookies-rankings-cody-zeller-kelly-olynyk

Someone on ESPN called Bazz the biggest disappointment of summer because he basically didn't show he could do anything very well at the NBA level.

I still think McLemore will be a pretty good player, not 100% sure on Burke he's talented has a chance.

I think Olynyk is going to be one of those guys in 5 years that people use an example of why not to pay attention to SL stats.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jazz and Ian Clark agree to a two year deal with the second year a team option.

This is the type player (Buycks would be another) I would have liked to see the Suns find a roster spot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen