2013 Summer League

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about Babb but he is a solid looking player. His defense is solid and his stroke looks good.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about Babb but he is a solid looking player. His defense is solid and his stroke looks good.

I haven't gone back and watched focusing on him, but I had the same impression. It isn't going to do anything spectacular, but might be a nice bench player.

Joe

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know much about him either. I remember him as a good defender and I seem to recall him getting in trouble at Iowa State but I don't know the specifics. I like the composure he showed down the stretch and he looked comfortable shooting big free throws.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't gone back and watched focusing on him, but I had the same impression. It isn't going to do anything spectacular, but might be a nice bench player.

Joe

I don't know much about him either. I remember him as a good defender and I seem to recall him getting in trouble at Iowa State but I don't know the specifics. I like the composure he showed down the stretch and he looked comfortable shooting big free throws.

Steve

It appears Babb at 6'5" might have a chance at getting an invite to training camp. At least that is my hope. He is a lockdown defender and reportedly has a solid 3 point shot. Here is a quote taken from the Ames Tribune dated 6-25-13 written by Travis Hines, Staff Writer.

Chris Babb, with his defensive prowess and competent 3-point shooting, is also drawing quite a bit of interest, despite suffering a minor shoulder injury that forced him off the workout circuit briefly.

“I think Chris has a niche,” said Hoiberg. “He’s 6-5, 230 (pounds) and he can guard anybody. You look at like (eight-time all-defensive team selection) Bruce Bowen. Bruce wasn’t drafted back in his day, but he was a guy that could stand back behind the line and be a floor spacer and knock down shots and he could defend.

“He took pride in that role, and I think Chris will do that same thing.”

I like what I see and read. The Suns need a player with his talents.

http://amestrib.com/sections/sports...nes-prepared-be-patient-during-nba-draft.html

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, summer league is some ugly basketball.

Marshall looks terrible.

Where did we end up on the "significance of summer league" debate by the way? I think my "wet fart" is holding strong.

I finally bothered to see if slin's theory held any water... and it appears not to. Just as there are countless scrubs who dominate the summer league, there is a long list of NBA players who were terrible in the summer league that went onto successful careers.

Just looking briefly looking at one summer I found Nic Batum, Nate Washington, George Hill (shot 08% percent!) as some serious summer league scrubs.

Its played with at about the level of a sloppy practice session, only with bad refs and players who just met.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Although I enjoyed hearing our GM interview during the game, if I never hear Sam Mitchell ask another question it will be far too soon. Someone needs to tell him that TV is the wrong place to ask 1000 word questions especially when 980 of the words are unnecessary.

Steve

He was horrible throughout the whole game. His little "Its starting to feel a lot like Christmas" song was extremely annoying and creepy. Guy has a weird voice in general and then if he starts singing on top of it....lets just say its not suited for television.

And then his analysis of Markieff Morris and how he could be a star player....lol.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was horrible throughout the whole game. His little "Its starting to feel a lot like Christmas" song was extremely annoying and creepy. Guy has a weird voice in general and then if he starts singing on top of it....lets just say its not suited for television.

And then his analysis of Markieff Morris and how he could be a star player....lol.

I have a tendency to jump to conclusions about anyone that acts or talks as if the rest of the world is stupid. I heard him make a comment about "fans" a few weeks ago that told me more than I'd like to know about him. He said (from memory so I might have changed a word or two) "most fans think all a coach does is scream and yell at players and every now and then draw up a play". He thinks were idiots, I KNOW he is. I have disliked him for years because he used to brag about being the one to teach Kevin Garnett how to play dirty so maybe I'm a little biased.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have a tendency to jump to conclusions about anyone that acts or talks as if the rest of the world is stupid. I heard him make a comment about "fans" a few weeks ago that told me more than I'd like to know about him. He said (from memory so I might have changed a word or two) "most fans think all a coach does is scream and yell at players and every now and then draw up a play". He thinks were idiots, I KNOW he is. I have disliked him for years because he used to brag about being the one to teach Kevin Garnett how to play dirty so maybe I'm a little biased.

Steve

It's makes sense that he would be the idiot who coached Tucker and decided that he wasn't good enough for this league.

And then of course he now makes it seem as if Tucker became as good as he is now because of his coaching.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
yeah, it's too bad we get to watch David Stern talk about things we've all known for 6 months. This is ridiculous. I've had summer league on all week while I work. Finally get a life Phoenix Suns game and they do this. Not to mention this makes my job more difficult.

Joe

Yeah, I was pissed! Of course they finally come back at halftime and the Suns were coming off a 24-0 run!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yea and the funny thing is that they couldn't wait until halftime to discuss the freaking Bobcats changing their name. As if anybody cared. I don't even think people in Charlotte care all that much...they can change the name all they want but that team continues to be awful.

Only time the Bobcats fans can truly celebrate is when Jordan sells the team.

The Suns game was the only one that was diverted too. And of course we missed the quarter in which we played the best basketball of the summer.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree. I have actually cooled off on Diante Christmas and I'm on the Babb bandwagon.

Christmas reminds me too much of Shannon Brown. You can tell when watching him play that he's just trying to do the best for himself and trying to take over the game by himself. He had guys like Goodwin open mulitple times but he decided to take tough jumpers instead. Of course he made it now in SL but that won't work in the NBA.

He played for Boston last year in their SL and he played really well for them too and then didn't even make it on to the roster and was cut in pre season. The same thing happened with Philly in 09 when he was actually drafted. I can see why he struggles in the NBA. He has average athleticism and a mind like Shannon Brown. Only reason Brown is still in the NBA is cause of his elite athleticism.

Babb on the other hand, knows his role. Guy plays within the offense. which is something I appreciate a lot in a basketball player. Something that Christmas can't do. Babb knows that he's not gonna be taking over any games so he just plays D and is a very, very good shooter. It would be nice to see him make the team and definitely get an invite to TC.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought Mitchell answered the other guy's question about Morris' potential pretty skillfully. I didn't hear him say that Morris would be a star player.

Joe

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I have actually cooled off on Diante Christmas and I'm on the Babb bandwagon.

Christmas reminds me too much of Shannon Brown. You can tell when watching him play that he's just trying to do the best for himself and trying to take over the game by himself. He had guys like Goodwin open mulitple times but he decided to take tough jumpers instead. Of course he made it now in SL but that won't work in the NBA.

He played for Boston last year in their SL and he played really well for them too and then didn't even make it on to the roster and was cut in pre season. The same thing happened with Philly in 09 when he was actually drafted. I can see why he struggles in the NBA. He has average athleticism and a mind like Shannon Brown. Only reason Brown is still in the NBA is cause of his elite athleticism.

Babb on the other hand, knows his role. Guy plays within the offense. which is something I appreciate a lot in a basketball player. Something that Christmas can't do. Babb knows that he's not gonna be taking over any games so he just plays D and is a very, very good shooter. It would be nice to see him make the team and definitely get an invite to TC.

It's funny how certain players rise to the top near the end of Summer League and Babb is one of them. He caught my eye from his steady play, defense and 3 point shot. I'd like for the Suns to take him to training camp. I wouldn't mind if Christmas or Onuaku got an invite as well but I like Babb the best. I forgot Garrett is a free agent. The Suns need to keep him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Mitchell answered the other guy's question about Morris' potential pretty skillfully. I didn't hear him say that Morris would be a star player.

Joe

Yeah, the announcer set him up with a leading question and Mitchell stayed fairly neutral on it. He asked him if Markieff was poised to become a star and Sam said he didn't know about "star" but he was going to be an important player for the Suns Whether he becomes a star or not is all up to Markief.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I gotta admit, Markieff has played well this summer league. Both twins have but Markieff especially. His numbers and court presence bear that out.

So why all the disdain for him. He works hard, plays D, rebounds ok, and can really stretch the floor with this outside shooting. That is not a bad combination of skills.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I gotta admit, Markieff has played well this summer league. Both twins have but Markieff especially. His numbers and court presence bear that out.

So why all the disdain for him. He works hard, plays D, rebounds ok, and can really stretch the floor with this outside shooting. That is not a bad combination of skills.

Because in NBA games that matter he's been pretty bad

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm in the middle on him. I think he's a decent player but I'm disappointed in his lack of consistency so far. I can write it off to his youth but it worries me when he plays smart one game and dumb another. I start wondering if his smart plays are just dumb luck.

I also don't like a lot of the shots he's taking in summer league although to his credit he's making a fair percentage of them. However, he's playing against guys that are less experienced and a couple of years younger (for the most part). I'm worried he'll continue to take those shots against bigger, longer, stronger, better players as he has the past two years.

I've seen him labeled as an 8 or 9 guy. I think he's a little better than that. I don't know that he's starter material but there are a lot of guys in this league that are the second guy off the bench that he could beat out IMO. The problem is, we don't need another good 7th man, we need some quality starters and I don't know if he can get there. I hope so but I tend to doubt it.

Steve

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After watching Mclemore in summer league, I'm glad we took Len.

Its still too early to completely write him off. He had 27 pts today but is still struggling to shoot the ball, especially the 3. His biggest issue right now is that he can't dribble at all

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like how Goodwin can drive and draw fouls.

Me too. Being able to get to the FT line as a rookie is incredibly impressive. Getting to the FT line in the NBA is a sign of a player that will be good. Because then it shows that even if a player's shot isn't dropping, he will still get his points at the FT line.

Best example was Goodwin yesterday. He shot 1-9 and ended up with 10 pts.

If he can get to the FT line consistently once season starts, and improve his FT % a lot, he has a legitimate chance to win ROY if he gets minutes.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Its still too early to completely write him off. He had 27 pts today but is still struggling to shoot the ball, especially the 3. His biggest issue right now is that he can't dribble at all

Yes, I watched the game today. I'm saying I'm glad we took Len after watching this game that Mcclemore scored 27 points in. He was absolutely horrible in the first half, then he got hot the second half. He ended up with a nice line but, watching the game, he appeared the most selfish chucker I've ever seen. Carmello Anthony looks like John Stockton compared to him. Up to this game, he has not had one assist this summer league. Not one. And, besides a couple of games, his shooting (what he's supposed to be good at) has been absolutely abysmal. Add this to the red flags the FO saw, I'm glad we took Len.

McCollum has caught my interest.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Because in NBA games that matter he's been pretty bad

Exactly. He did well in Summer League last year, and was a complete waste of time during the regular season. Do it when it counts, and I'll be impressed.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Me too. Being able to get to the FT line as a rookie is incredibly impressive. Getting to the FT line in the NBA is a sign of a player that will be good. Because then it shows that even if a player's shot isn't dropping, he will still get his points at the FT line.

Best example was Goodwin yesterday. He shot 1-9 and ended up with 10 pts.

If he can get to the FT line consistently once season starts, and improve his FT % a lot, he has a legitimate chance to win ROY if he gets minutes.

I wouldn't suggest betting a lot of your net worth on that.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest betting a lot of your net worth on that.
If he can show that he can get to the FT line constantly and knock em down at a good % in the NBA once season starts, then I don't see why not.

Especially in a rookie class like his, its possible.

Highly unlikely though. I can't see him getting a lot of playing time right away plus he needs to gain more strength to play with the big boys. Also learning to dribble with his left hand and improving defensively will likely help him.