Cardinals 20 Seahawks 16 Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
TEAM

* Cardinal Tough! No question. Man was that game physical. That was a bunch of tough Redbirds at work versus some equally tough Seahawks. NFC West is looking strong, imo.

* Mental Discipline needs work, as we saw with the penalties.

WHISENHUNT

* Had team well-prepared for the first half.

* Got far too conservative in the second half. Looked like he was just trying to sit on the lead and let the defense force more Seattle mistakes.

* Won the coin toss and deferred again---Whisenhunt is big on field position, so I understand his reasoning---but, he keeps lamenting the slow starts on offense and let's face it, having to wait on the sidelines for the first 10-15 minutes of the game is tough.

* But then what makes little sense is to get the football at the start of the second half and he gets 7 1/2 yards from Beanie on first down---best run of the day---then opts for a two step drop three yard pass play on 2nd and 2 1/2, that gets batted down at the line---my question is, if you are going to throw on 2nd and 2 1/2, go play-action and take a shot downfield, not try a three yard pass into congestion that didn't fool anyone. Then---the third down call---pretty tough to convert 3rd and 2 1/2 in this league on the ground against a loaded box....especially when everyone is expecting a run.

* Then it seemed every second half series play-calling wise began with a no yard run into the line, then a short passing attempt from a short drop, and then on third and 10 a pass underneath the sticks...or one time the perfunctory one feeble screen pass attempt---again not throwing to areas over the sticks. THIS has been the pattern for far too long and it puts the QB at such a disadvantage.

* The play that showed some creativity was the bootleg---but it was to Skelton's left, and the Seahawks were sitting right in it as if they knew the play, which caused Skelton to try to scramble out of it and then try to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage, which is harder from that angle going left than you think---which is why it gave Richard Sherman a chance to make a spectacular play on.

* Where Whisenhunt deserves a ton of credit is in the way he did his best in the Tennessee game to try to build back at least some self-respect and confidence in Kevin Kolb---at the time it was too bad it was at the expense of not giving Skelton a good half of work to prepare for the Seahawks---but, as it turned out, Kolb needed to be ready and he needed to feel confident enough to get the job done, especially down the stretch in a come from behind situation, which Kolb struggled with last year.

* Great call on the backward pass.

* What was he thinking in calling the double timeout?

* Great reprieve on the near timeout before the Kolb to Roberts TD.

* Overall I would give a game ball to Whisenhunt for this game.

SKELTON

* Good first half---he was shifting nicely around the pocket and zipping the ball accurately to his receivers---loved the back shoulder pass to Fitz, the rope he throw to Doucet over the middle and the perfect rope to Roberts on the out pass.

* I thought he was the victim of questionable and overly conservative play-calling in the second half---as mentioned earlier.

* Honestly, I found myself tearing up when he went down. I just love the way he handled himself all week---it was like he was on a one man Cardinal publicity tour and was really talking up the team's chances at a time when the team needed some good vibes in the face of all the negative publicity this pre-season.

KOLB

* Was sensational. His best drive, by far, in Cardinal red. He was decisive, instinctive, totally on target and spinning them in there like a juggs machine.

* Feel so happy for him and the team---and as I said I give Whisenhunt a lot of credit for doing what he could to give Kolb a much needed saving hand.

* Hopefully, Whisenhunt puts Kolb as much as he can in the hurry-up this week. Kolb himself emphasized " up tempo" when he was interviewed after the Titans' game. We have the depth and strength on defense to handle an offense that plays up tempo---so give Kolb the best chance and keep him in that role as much as possible. I think with this team in general---the less they have to think, the better.

O-LINE

* Better than I ever would have expected in pass pro---which Grimm obviously focused on most during the week.

* Running game was not good, as we saw---but the timing and execution should get better each week.

* Bobby Massie was very good as a rookie playing in his first game.

* D'Anthony Batiste did his job and his technique was solid---a little sloppy with his feet on occasion but he maintained a good base and played hard to the whistle every snap.

* Ironically, it was the inner three who had the toughest time---as both Colledge and Sendlein were flagged for holding, and Snyder had all he could handle at times, as they were penetrating his A gap with consistency.

TE

* Todd Heap was a factor, especially in the game winning drive.

* Still don't get keeping 4 TEs---what did Jim Dray offer in this game?

* Rob Housler made the TD saving tackle on the Washington KO return, but was a no-show on offense again.

* Jeff King---not quite back to being himself yet.

WR

* Good games from Fitz and Roberts.

* Doucet was a factor which was nice to see---glad he didn't get flagged though for jumping up into the defender's face.

* Sleepy Floyd, oh well, for now.

RB

* Wells looks slow.

* Williams had a huge hole on the counter play that he fumbled on and ran to the left of it---and then cut back into it, it was still there. His timing and execution looked very rusty.

* Hyphen should have gotten more snaps---great TD using his quickness to slip the ball over the goal-line---plus, he made a good block in pass pro.

* Sherman had maybe his worst game as a Cardinal, both in the offense and especially on STs. Not sure what his situation was.

NT

* Williams was very good.

DE

* Dockett was fierce and ferocious but missed finishing off key tackles. But he sure created havoc.

* Campbell again with the FG block (how BIG did that turn out to be?) and the batted passes. But, Paul McQuistan did a nice job on him---have to admit it.

* Eason was horrible---was getting blown off the ball.

* Carter had one good play---was expecting more from him.

* Holliday held his own.

ILB

* Lenon and Washington and Walker were the story on defense---filling gaps, blitzing with suddenness (even Walker from the edge!---but stupid roughing penalty was regrettable---but hey, he could be a real help there! Did you see Washington blow up the blockers on the designed run for Wilson that the DBs were able to stop short of a first down? Wow!

OLB

* Acho had Russell Okung on his heels and false starting twice.

* Schofield played hard but was not a difference maker.

* I thought Groves was a difference maker---he really got after it and made some big plays chasing down Lynch and Wilson.

CB

* Peterson still hasn't learned how to lay off the WR and play the ball when the ball is heading his way---the thing is---he's so in the way of the WR, which is good, but it gets him in trouble, especially when the WRs act interfered with. Boy he should have picked off the pass after the bogus 4th timeout---that would have been poetic justice. But, again, he's not finding the ball yet.

* We saw why Horton likes Gay---he's physical and around the ball---good tackler. A little too handsy like Peterson. which will likely mean more PIs.

* Money Mike---what can you say? When the lights are on, he shows up. Can't believe they had him on Sydney Rice the last play (on a GOOD switch---which enabled Gay to cover the slant---good thing Wilson threw inside---a lob to Rice would have been tough for Adams to defend. Notice too that Adams made the first few tackles on STs.

* Still wish we hadn't made the Jefferson trade---now with Fleming injured and Toler not seeming ready. I hope the team calls up Larry Parker, whom I think will be a real good player for us.

S

* Wilson---so smart handing the interception to Peterson! Wilson was solid---very physical as always.

* Rhodes played more physical when he was in the box---out of the box he was soft---like on the Rice TD where it makes no sense to play the middle zone three yards deep into the end zone and stay there when a WR like Rice comes into his zone.

* Rashad Johnson was one of the few studs on STs---he made two great tackles.

STs

* Feely was great on FGs, but in this day and age he has got to be able to kick the ball out of the end zone (indoors)---the game was totally changed by the Washington return.

* Zastudil would be better off punting for hang-time than distance as our cover teams right now are awful.

Play of the Game: Kolb to Roberts with Whisenhunt running on the field to call timeout. There was no sense slowing down Kolb at that point. Good thing the play was on!

Non-Play of the Game: Baldwin's drop in the end zone. We would be out of our minds right now in disbelief and anger--give Russell Wilson a great deal of credit---he had the game-winner right there and Baldwin dropped it.

But---the Cardinals' defense contained Wilson and limited him better than many folks realize---and that was perhaps the main reason why the Cardinals won.

Last edited:

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent. I was waiting all day for this. Two thoughts, Mitch:

I'm convinced Whiz defers on the coin toss because of superstition. I was surprised the team didn't wear the all-red uni's (we won last year in them and he kept having them play in them) and wondered if the league dictated the red jersey/white pants combo.

and Larry Fitzgerald should just be crowned King of all Arizona today. Just do it now and get it over with. The second effort on the pass from Kolb when the defender literally had to pick him up and throw him on the ground... because that was the only thing that would stop Fitz from scoring... illustrated just how special he is. He came up with a look and emotion we rarely see from him. The man was possessed with the Fire of the Gospel of "Let's win this". How many times can we say, "Fitz is special."? How do we love him? How many different ways? Let us count them.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
and Larry Fitzgerald should just be crowned King of all Arizona today. Just do it now and get it over with. The second effort on the pass from Kolb when the defender literally had to pick him up and throw him on the ground... because that was the only thing that would stop Fitz from scoring... illustrated just how special he is. He came up with a look and emotion we rarely see from him. The man was possessed with the Fire of the Gospel of "Let's win this". How many times can we say, "Fitz is special."? How many different ways? Let us count them.

:thumbup:

Hey Mitch are u expecting :Skelton to start this coming week?

I was also wondering why Wiz wasn't using Kolb in the hurry up. Obviously he deserved that after the Tenn. game and this game as well proved he's very affective in it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
* But then what makes little sense is to get the football at the start of the second half and he gets 7 1/2 yards from Beanie on first down---best run of the day---then opts for a two step drop three yard pass play on 2nd and 2 1/2, that gets batted down at the line---my question is, if you are going to throw on 2nd and 2 1/2, go play-action and take a shot downfield, not try a three yard pass into congestion that didn't fool anyone. Then---the third down call---pretty tough to convert 3rd and 2 1/2 in this league on the ground against a loaded box....especially when everyone is expecting a run.

We had a total of 14 yards of offense in the 2nd half before Skelton hit Roberts on that huge 16 yard completion - the play that knocked Skelton out of the game! Pathetic!! When you see it in person, it's as if you're watching a totally different team from the first half. This is not the first time this has happened under Whiz... WTH goes on art halftime???
Also - I thought that series you reference where Beanie ran for 7 1/2 yards was a perfect spot to do something creative with Hyphen. They need to find a way to get the ball inhis hands more often! :bang:

* Hyphen should have gotten more snaps---great TD using his quickness to slip the ball over the goal-line.

Cards got a nice break there as that was not a TD. The play happened right in front of me and Hyphen's knee was down well before the ball crossing the goal-line. But, given what occured with the Hawks getting an extra Timeout - it's all good!

* I thought Groves was a difference maker---he really got after it and made some big plays chasing down Lynch and Wilson.

Agreed. Groves has a very nice game.

CB

* Peterson still hasn't learned how to lay off the WR and play the ball when the ball is heading his way---the thing is---he's so in the way of the WR, which is good, but it gets him in trouble, especially when the WRs act interfered with. Boy he should have picked off the pass after the bogus 4th timeout---that would have been poetic justice. But, again, he's not finding the ball yet.

Not sure this ranks against other CB's, but, Peterson had 6 PI's last season and now starts off 2012 with two more. Just seems to me that he gets called a lot for PI. He's got to get this figured out!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whiz was calling TO because of the playclock it was between 1 and 0 when we snapped it I think he was afraid Kolb didn't know.

Agreed on Massie he held up well, Batiste struggled mightily after halftime. I think he just isn't used to playing a full game you could see he was looking fatigued.

I don't think the playcalling got conservative I think Seattle changed up the D and Skelton got confused. You could see he was just looking one direction on every pass play he just didn't seem confident of his reads and then would dump it off.

On the Peterson near pick he got grabbed by Rice he still should have had it though.

I like the Sleepy Floyd comment so far he does play a little slow. Hopefully it's just the NFL learning curve.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I'm convinced Whiz defers on the coin toss because of superstition. I was surprised the team didn't wear the all-red uni's (we won last year in them and he kept having them play in them) and wondered if the league dictated the red jersey/white pants combo.

and Larry Fitzgerald should just be crowned King of all Arizona today. Just do it now and get it over with. The second effort on the pass from Kolb when the defender literally had to pick him up and throw him on the ground... because that was the only thing that would stop Fitz from scoring... illustrated just how special he is. He came up with a look and emotion we rarely see from him. The man was possessed with the Fire of the Gospel of "Let's win this". How many times can we say, "Fitz is special."? How do we love him? How many different ways? Let us count them.

We all have an opinion of what Fitz may have been feeling but what I saw was not just "Let's win this" on that play but "FINALLY PASSES IN MY DIRECTION WHICH ARE NOT DINKS, FINALLY MY BUD KOLB IS PLAYING LIKE I THOUGHT HE WOULD" and then, "WE CAN WIN THIS NOW" :)

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Hey Dems---Whisenhunt is as superstitious as they come, so your point about deferring and the all red unis have merit.

As for Larry Fitzgerald---we are in the midst of perhaps the most special player and human being the Cardinals have ever had. Did you see him on the sideline exhorting the defense during the last Seahawk series? Did you see how he hugged Skelton before Skelton was carried off? And you were so right---when Fitz saw the fire in Kolb's eyes, it lit him up like a jack o' lantern. Shall we compare Fitz---to a "summer's day?"

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch,-----great stuff there. I truly believe that this game will have the effect of uniting this team behind both our QB's. I am truly glad that the ankle sprain to Skelton seems to be of the low ankle variety. He should be able to return much more quickly than if it was of the high variety.

I hope that there is a lot of work this week on the run game. We desperately need it to help control the clock, and to keep defenses guessing. The third quarter of this game is a looking glass into what our season could become without a running game. As much as I credit Whiz for helping to solidify our QB tandem, I would have to chide him for the 3rd quarter funk. We desperately need to become more unpredictable in our play calling after the half, so as to keep defenses on their heels instead of full-blown pass rush mode. (I still don't get the lack of screens and draws to upset the opposing defenses ability to mount a full-on pass rush).

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hey Dems---Whisenhunt is as superstitious as they come, so your point about deferring and the all red unis have merit.

As for Larry Fitzgerald---we are in the midst of perhaps the most special player and human being the Cardinals have ever had. Did you see him on the sideline exhorting the defense during the last Seahawk series? Did you see how he hugged Skelton before Skelton was carried off? And you were so right---when Fitz saw the fire in Kolb's eyes, it lit him up like a jack o' lantern. Shall we compare Fitz---to a "summer's day?"

He was actually on the field pumping up the defense during most of that lengthy delay! The guy is, without question, the most special Cardinal to ever wear the uniform.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
:thumbup:

Hey Mitch are u expecting :Skelton to start this coming week?

I was also wondering why Wiz wasn't using Kolb in the hurry up. Obviously he deserved that after the Tenn. game and this game as well proved he's very affective in it.

Hey WBB---no, but I think if possible he will dress.

You know what? What I see is both QBs learning from each other, and amending their weaknesses to the other guy's strengths.

Kolb saw how Skelton defined the pocket---and he stepped right in and commanded it---only Kolb was in a position to pull the trigger---and what was very curious is how the Seahawks suddenly went zone on a few plays, which teams cannot do with Fitz on the field.

Skelton will see how decisive Kolb was and how well Kolb was spinning it and he will want to do the same.

I think there's no question that we are going to need both of them for the duration of the season---and hopefully they can continue to forge a strong relationship and make each other better.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
I agree about Acho - man was he quick off the snap. Very impressive, love that guy.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch,-----great stuff there. I truly believe that this game will have the effect of uniting this team behind both our QB's. I am truly glad that the ankle sprain to Skelton seems to be of the low ankle variety. He should be able to return much more quickly than if it was of the high variety.

I hope that there is a lot of work this week on the run game. We desperately need it to help control the clock, and to keep defenses guessing. The third quarter of this game is a looking glass into what our season could become without a running game. As much as I credit Whiz for helping to solidify our QB tandem, I would have to chide him for the 3rd quarter funk. We desperately need to become more unpredictable in our play calling after the half, so as to keep defenses on their heels instead of full-blown pass rush mode. (I still don't get the lack of screens and draws to upset the opposing defenses ability to mount a full-on pass rush).

Hey Catfish, my pal! I agree with you 100%----

The only thing is---running versus the Pats is very difficult---the Titans couldn't do it at home with their good o-line and stud RB Chris Johnson.

The Patriots have a young secondary---if we have any chance it is putting all the pressure on them---which is why I favor the hurry-up in this game.

The predictable play-calling---man---it's got to stop.

I have a novel thought here---instead of trying to be conservative and cautious---run the offense the same way you would if Warner were still QB---make these QBs a threat---open this thing up---

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about Acho - man was he quick off the snap. Very impressive, love that guy.

My guess is he was guessing snap counts because Wilson as a rookie wasn't changing it enough. Even inside we were getting off quickly because of that.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Personally, I like deferring -- but I understand the arguments to either approach.

When your defense is stronger then your offense, why not defer? Have the D set you up with more manageable field position, and play to your strength.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Running backs looked slow, cut back into traffic rather than running to the side where there was space. There are problems with the OLine but some of it is on the backs.

Kolb looks good in the hurry up. He plays for intuitively and has less time to think about the pass rush. Its a rhythm that suits him.

Its a good thing we have two qb's, they can trade off for injuries.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When your defense is stronger then your offense, why not defer? Have the D set you up with more manageable field position, and play to your strength.

Maybe Im wrong but to me I'd rather have my offense playing tired at the end than my defense. So the less time my defense is on the field in the first half the better.

Plus the offense needs to feel like the coach actually believes they can score.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1: Running game: Lest we forget - Seattle gave up 3.8 a carry in 2011 - 4th best in NFL

2: Flemming is OK, according to Whiz

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Maybe Im wrong but to me I'd rather have my offense playing tired at the end than my defense. So the less time my defense is on the field in the first half the better.

Plus the offense needs to feel like the coach actually believes they can score.

GREAT point! Right with you on that one, Russ!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deferring the kick is awesome! Get over it Russ ;)