Rome (HBO)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This show is amazing and yet it still isn't quite as good as Carnivale or Deadwood.

HBO has really screwed the pooch with the triumvirate of there three big shows. I don't know how they can greenlight anything else quite like them because they end up not continuing them.

They're in a hard position because they don't have advertising, even with the price gouging they have through your local cable companies.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This show is amazing and yet it still isn't quite as good as Carnivale or Deadwood.

HBO has really screwed the pooch with the triumvirate of there three big shows. I don't know how they can greenlight anything else quite like them because they end up not continuing them.

They're in a hard position because they don't have advertising, even with the price gouging they have through your local cable companies.

I never saw Carnivale but it blows Deadwood which was good out of the water.

This wasnt my favorite episode. The thing between Antony and Cleopatra went on forever but even an ok episode of Rome is a thousand times better than anything on tv.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I never saw Carnivale but it blows Deadwood which was good out of the water.

This wasnt my favorite episode. The thing between Antony and Cleopatra went on forever but even an ok episode of Rome is a thousand times better than anything on tv.

Totally disagree, but that's cool.

The first half of Season 1 of Rome was boring and uninteresting, whereas the first 4 episodes of Deadwood were some of the best 4 hours in the history of television. :D

That said, Rome has really picked it up this season and is now the best show currently on television.

You also owe it to yourself to watch Carnivale, which is one of the smartest shows I've ever seen.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, Rome was on again last night in its encore presentation. So I watched it...again.

Rome on back to back nights is pretty awesome, even if it is the same episode.

And rewatching it I loved when Vorenus is talking to Caesarion (little ***** that he is) about his dad and is talking about Pullo. I sure hope that Pullo and Vorenus don't have to fight in the finale. Though I can't wait until
Octavian guts the little kid. I am a bit sad though that without a third season we won't get to see all the good Octavian does as Auggie.

At one point about halfway through the show I tell my wife "you know, we just watched this last night." To which she replies "yeah, but I don't want to turn it off."

I heart her.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into HBO shows anymore. They hook you in and then go cheap and cancel them. I can't believe ther's no more Rome. :bang:

If they had killed Pullo I might have broken something.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into HBO shows anymore. They hook you in and then go cheap and cancel them. I can't believe ther's no more Rome. :bang:

I hear ya...it was bad enough that Vorenus had to die.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree, Titus Huecrazicus.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The look on Agrippa's face when Octavian told him that Cleopatra said he had "a rotten soul" was priceless. :)

James Purefoy has to get an Emmy nomination.
Great death scene between Antony and Vorenus.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The end of one of the greatest shows of all time. It was a natural button to the series, of course. Not much to go with being as how Octavian Caesar ruled for 40 of the most prosperous years in Roman history. Still and all, I'm desperately going to miss it. Everything was done so well. Vorenus had to die, and he died well. No excuses, no apologies, no words.

The best thing about this show was that it took expectation and threw it out the window. You EXPECT Caesar to say 'E tu, brute?', but instead he gurgles out his dying breath at Brutus. You EXPECT both Brutus' and Antony's marvelous funeral speeches, but instead you get the aftermath. You EXPECT the Battle of Actium, but instead you get Antony rowing away. Ah, amazing, simply amazing.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know how else they would have ended it without the episodes becoming trivial. They stayed so close to the real history, that they were running out of the good stuff.

They could have a spinoff. " The Life of Pullo ".

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Don't know how else they would have ended it without the episodes becoming trivial. They stayed so close to the real history, that they were running out of the good stuff.

They could have a spinoff. "The Life of Pullo ".

True, or they would probably need to jump ahead 44 years to Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius and Nero. That was all done very well in I, Claudius though.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
The devious part is what I think the writers are missing with the new actor. The first year Octavian was always on top of the political maneuvering.

The actor, Simon Woods, is kind of like a poor girl's Paul Bettany( Wimbeldon,Firewall,A Knights Tale).[/quote]

Who is a poor man's Jude Law :p.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just started this series (on ep. 3). I'm a little disappointed ...I think because I had really high expectations.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just started this series (on ep. 3). I'm a little disappointed ...I think because I had really high expectations.

Don't worry, I was a little "blah" at the beginning of the series as well, but it picked up about halfway through the 1st season. It's no Deadwood or Carnivale, but the 2nd season is actually very good television.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are haters. It's easily better than Deadwood and far better than Carnivale. Slow at first? Not at all. That's my opinion, and I'm a-stickin' to it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are haters. It's easily better than Deadwood and far better than Carnivale. Slow at first? Not at all. That's my opinion, and I'm a-stickin' to it.

Huh? No need to go off calling people names just because we don't agree with you. Sheesh.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has picked up for me. I think there were a couple of things working against me at the start: A) I had super-high expectations and B) I didn't really know what to expect (I don't have HBO, so I've never seen an ad for it...I just knew it was an acclaimed HBO show and people followed it just as religiously as some of the other premium channel cables shows).

Once I got in the groove of the show (IMO, it's a buddy flick set against ancient Rome), it really clicked for me.

The character of Titus Pullo is awesome. Very well written and very well acted.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Just watched the Arena scene again. Wow.

Great stuff. The previews for the finale are blowing me away.

This show needs to get a hell of a lot more run than it is getting on this forum. Best thing since Sopranos on TV.

Long live Ceasar...errr...Rome...err...Octavian...err...Augustus...errr...PULLO AND VORENUS!!!!

Finally finished season 1. That episode with the arena fight was one of the best episodes of tv i've ever seen. Watched that arena scene several times.

Also loved when they met up with Cleo, hilarious stuff.

What a way to end a season, sheesh. That must have been pretty painful to have to wait over a year for season 2 to get going.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah first few episodes were slower because your learning the characters and setting.

Deadwood and Carnivale better than Rome? Not even in the same universe. Put togther they cant touch Rome!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson