Rome (HBO)

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) HBO has set a premiere date of VIII/XXVIII, MMV for its series "Rome."
The launch -- that's Sunday, Aug. 28, for those of you who left Roman numerals back in fourth-grade math -- will precede most of the broadcast networks' fall premieres by several weeks, giving HBO some time to try to build an audience for the 12-episode series. The pay-cable network also plans to give viewers numerous chances to see the show each week.

"Our goal is to put 'Rome' in front of every demo and every audience segment by appearing every day of the week and in all the appropriate timeslots, from 8 p.m. to late night," says David Baldwin, head of program planning at HBO. "This saturation sampling phase will be supported by HBO's legendary on-channel and off-channel promotion and awareness efforts."

Following the premiere, episodes will be scheduled every night of the week on HBO and sister channels HBO2 and HBO Signature. HBO will also repeat the previous week's episode prior to the debut of new installments. The first two episodes will run during a preview weekend in early September, which will also include the debut of the third episode on HBO On Demand on Sept. 5 -- before it first airs in regular rotation on HBO.
"Rome," which HBO co-produced with the BBC, tells the story of the rise of the Roman Empire through the eyes of two soldiers who become caught up in Rome's history. The cast includes Ciaran Hinds ("Road to Perdition"), Kevin McKidd ("Kingdom of Heaven"), Ray Stevenson ("King Arthur"), Polly Walker ("State of Play"), Lindsay Duncan ("Under the Tuscan Sun") and James Purefoy ("Resident Evil").

John Milius ("Conan the Barbarian," "Clear and Present Danger"), William J. Macdonald and Bruno Heller (USA's "Touching Evil") co-created the series. Michael Apted ("Coal Miner's Daughter") directed the first three episodes.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Rome

Anyone watch Rome on HBO. It started off pretty good, it seamed like the typical HBO series with all the sex and violence. The character introduction kind of sucked in the first episode, but I think think the shows gonna get real good.

Here is the About The Show from HBO's Website.

The year is 52 B.C. Four hundred years after the founding of the Republic, Rome is the wealthiest city in the world, a cosmopolitan metropolis of one million people, epicenter of a sprawling empire. The Republic was founded on principles of shared power and fierce personal competition, never allowing one man to seize absolute control. But now, those foundations are crumbling, eaten away by corruption and excess. The ruling class has become extravagantly wealthy, with a precipitous decline in the old values of Spartan discipline and social unity. There is now a great chasm between the classes. Legal and political systems have weakened, and power has increasingly shifted to the military.

After eight years of war, Gaius Julius Caesar has completed his masterful conquest of Gaul, and is returning to Rome. He brings with him legions of battle-hardened, loyal men, unimaginable riches in slaves, gold and plunder, and a populist agenda for radical social change. The aristocracy is terrified, and threatens to prosecute him for war crimes if he enters Rome. The delicate balance of power lies in the Senate with Caesar's old friend, partner and mentor, Pompey Magnus.

Such is the situation when two soldiers of Caesar's 13th Legion, Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo, are ordered into the wilds of Gaul to retrieve their legion's stolen standard, the unifying symbol of Caesar's legion, setting off a chain of circumstances that will entwine them in pivotal events of ancient Rome. An intimate drama of love and betrayal, masters and slaves, and husbands and wives, ROME chronicles epic times that saw the fall of a Republic and the creation of an empire when it debuts SUNDAY, AUG. 28 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO.

A co-production between HBO and the BBC, ROME is one of the largest co-production deals ever by the BBC for an American series, and marks the first series co-production of the two networks. HBO and the BBC previously partnered on the 2001 miniseries "Band of Brothers," which won six Emmy® Awards, including Outstanding Miniseries.

"You rarely see onscreen the complexity and color that was ancient Rome," says co-creator, executive producer and writer Bruno Heller. "It has more in common with places like Mexico City and Calcutta than quiet white marble. Rome was brightly colored, a place of vibrant cruelty, full of energy, dynamism and chaotic filth. It was a merciless existence, dog-eat-dog, with a very small elite, and masses of poverty. We see the same problems today - crime, unemployment, disease, and pressure to preserve your place in a precarious society. There's the potential for social mobility, if you're smart.

"Human nature never changes," continues Heller, "and the great thing about the Romans, from a dramatic perspective, is that they're a people with the fetters taken completely off. They had no prosaic God telling them right from wrong and how to behave. It was a strictly personal morality, and whether or not an action is wrong would depend on whether people more powerful than you would approve. You were allowed to murder your neighbor or covet his wife if it didn't piss off the wrong person. Mercy was a weakness, cruelty a virtue, and all that mattered was personal honor, loyalty to yourself and your family."

ROME was shot throughout Italy, with Michael Apted ("Coal Miner's Daughter," "The World Is Not Enough") directing the first three episodes. Additional directors include Allen Coulter (HBO's "The Sopranos"), Julian Farino (HBO's "Entourage"), Jeremy Podeswa (HBO's "Carnivale"), Alan Poul (HBO's "Six Feet Under"), Mikael Salomon (HBO's "Band of Brothers"), Steve Shill (HBO's "The Wire"), Alan Taylor (HBO's "Deadwood") and Timothy Van Patten (HBO's "Sex and the City").

Among the actors starring in the first season are Kevin McKidd ("Kingdom of Heaven") as Lucius Vorenus, Ray Stevenson ("King Arthur") as Titus Pullo, Ciaran Hinds ("Road to Perdition") as Gaius Julius Caesar, Kenneth Cranham ("Gangster No. 1") as Pompey Magnus, Polly Walker ("Patriot Games") as Atia of the Julii, James Purefoy ("Vanity Fair") as Mark Antony, Tobias Menzies ("Foyle's War") as Marcus Junius Brutus, Lindsay Duncan ("Under the Tuscan Sun") as Servilia of the Junii, Indira Varma ("Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love") as Niobe, Max Pirkis ("Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World") as Gaius Octavian and Kerry Condon ("Angela's Ashes") as Octavia of the Julii.

Rome was Created by John Milius and William Macdonald and Bruno Heller. Written by Bruno Heller, John Milius, David Frankel, William J. Macdonald, Alexandra Cunningham and Adrian Hodges.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched it and was somewhat disappointed. I guess I expected more. Maybe it is just a little bit late in coming to the public after Gladiator, Troy, et al. It will be worth watching IMO. Thankfully it replaced 6 Feet Under.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Yep, I’m on board. I thought it was okay. They had a lot of story line to set up and characters to introduce. I think it will be worth watching while waiting for the next season of Sopranos to start.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Anyone still watching this?

I think there is another thread on this but I couldn't find it.

********Spoilers************
I love it. I think it gets better and better. I like how there are following history around those to goofballs and now Caesar's son with Cleopatra is possibly the legionaire's kid.

I wonder how long the show is going to go as far as history. I doubt they will take it to the fall of Rome but you never know.

This season looks to be building up to a finale with the speaking part "Et tu Brute' "

OP
OP
O

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
"Ladies, Legionnairre Titus Pullo, reporting for duty."

The show has grown on me. I really enjoy it now.

Last edited:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've been watching, mainly because I'm taking a humanities class, and it's all about Greece, Rome, and the ancient Mediterranean.

My only complaint is that many of the actors look alike. I had trouble when first watching it discerning who was who.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rome is fanfreakingtastic.

Titus Pullo is Forrest Gump's great great great repeat thousands of times grandfather. "I'm not a smart man, but I do know where that button is." Best. Character. Ever.

This show is very, very good, and despite the little playing around with the details, it is pretty accurate. There were rumors that Cleo's kid wasn't JC's, and a random liegonarre's instead. Also, later on after the Ides of March, when Octavian/Augustus and Mark Antony were throwing down politically, apparantly MA suggested that Octavian was being banged by Ceasar, and that's why he was in the will. I like that the show goes and touches on these things with their interesting little twists on them.

And the phrase "as wet as October" is a surefire classic.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone still watching. I was shocked when Ceasar showed up at (I am no good with names) the main characters courtyard when they were waiting for the criminals to show up and fight.

And he took the senate position. Of course I guess if Ceasar offered it to you it would be hard to say no to his face.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*********SPOILERS**********************

Yeah, Octavian and Octavia's incest was over the top, but it was very Octavian of him to be so calculating. That dude is so shrewd and always thinking 5 steps ahead. He should be leading the nation ;) I can't wait for those episodes when he ascends to power.

It was cool seeing Rome's Tony Soprano not getting any respect from Vorenus or Pullo, but Ceaser totally spoiled Old School Soprano's upcoming ass-kicking. That dude seriously got lucky as he brought far too few men with him to challenge Vorenus and Pullo. He would seriously have needed an army.

Poor, poor Pullo...his slave doesn't love him like he loves her. What does he expect? Maybe if he pays attention to that button, she might come around.

Next week's episode looks fantastic...I love this show.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Oh man what a show last night! This is quickly becoming my favorite show of the week.

It has become my favorite show. It gets better each week.

I thought we would getto hear: "Beware the ides of March" during the Triumph thing.

But nope. It was sad to see Titus Pullo and Veranis have a falling out and it looks like Pullo is going to join Veranis' enemy.

:eek:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KingofCards said:
It has become my favorite show. It gets better each week.

I thought we would getto hear: "Beware the ides of March" during the Triumph thing.

But nope. It was sad to see Titus Pullo and Veranis have a falling out and it looks like Pullo is going to join Veranis' enemy.

:eek:

Tell me about it. Better and better. I have a feeling Pullo and Veranis will be friends again.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That episode was great, but the oncecoming next week looks fantastic.

I really like the actor who plays Octavian; he's going to be awesome as Augustus Ceasar.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
That episode was great, but the oncecoming next week looks fantastic.

I really like the actor who plays Octavian; he's going to be awesome as Augustus Ceasar.

He sint the next ceasar right? Marc Anthony is right? My history in this time period is hazy at best.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
He sint the next ceasar right? Marc Anthony is right? My history in this time period is hazy at best.

I won't spoiler it for you, but Marc Anthony (whose character on the show I think is fantastic) and Octavian will be central to the show after the Ides of March.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet, it's on my DVR awaiting my return from Pittsburgh on Thursday..first thing I'm watching when I get home, then Earl and The Office next.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
OH MAN WHAT AN EPISODE THIS WEEK!!!!!!

Best show on tv

O.M.G.

Wow...that was a fantastic episode! The Arena was outstanding, and I continue to love the back back back dealing of Roman politics. Just fantastic.

I'd have sent Brutus far far away myself if I saw that stuff on the walls every day. Friendships be damned.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched the Arena scene again. Wow.

Great stuff. The previews for the finale are blowing me away.

This show needs to get a hell of a lot more run than it is getting on this forum. Best thing since Sopranos on TV.

Long live Ceasar...errr...Rome...err...Octavian...err...Augustus...errr...PULLO AND VORENUS!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave