Your unpopular take/opinion for this draft?

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would prefer Zaven Collins over Jaylen Waddle.
Yea ehhhh I see everyone’s point about Zaven, but I still can’t get behind a ILB early, especially behind a inexperienced DL. Cowboys tried to build around their ILBs & it has been a fail. Give me a game-breaker like Waddle all-day everyday.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That was my first thought too, but truth be told the magic of 3-4 defenses often lie in the linebacker units. The more athletic, fast, and versatile those four are the more likely the success of the defense. Wouldn’t be my first, second or third choice but if ended with us having a keuchly/Davis pairing for a decade there are far worse outcomes.
There is truth in this.

Bucs go Barrett, JPP, White and David. JPP was 12.5 mil this year, White was 6.7. Barrett got 15.8. David 10.7.

Steelers have 3 first round picks in their LB corp. Highest one taken was Bevin Bush at 10 overall.

Bears 3-4 has Mack 20+, Quinn 14.7, Roquan a 1st rounder 6 mil and Trevethan at 5 mil.

So, the Cardinals deciding to take another ILB wouldn't be the stretch that I initially thought it would be even if it is not my preferred path.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at Russell Wilson & Seattle right now. We don’t want Kyler to be in that same situation a few years from now. Build up the interior. I’m pushing hard for Alijah Vera-Tucker & Creed Humphrey.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Look at Russell Wilson & Seattle right now. We don’t want Kyler to be in that same situation a few years from now. Build up the interior. I’m pushing hard for Alijah Vera-Tucker & Creed Humphrey.
I agree. Even more if we don't address this in FA. However, I think IOL is a place we will use our cap dollars.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

IF Josh Jones works out at RT, the Cards will have given K1 a better o line situation than Russ has had for the last 6 years --

and sets them up for a good offensive line for the next 3-4. Interior guys are far easier to find than tackles.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes, he is a kind of Karlos dansby, ILB with pass rusher body
Any chance is there in round 2?
A guy with these skillset will change drastically our defense
Even bigger than Los. No way he makes it to our 2nd.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would prefer Zaven Collins over Jaylen Waddle.
That’s a tight one for me. Waddle likely has a big impact on our entire offense even indirectly. If he can play his speed pulls safeties thereby (a) opening underneath more for hop and Arnold, (b) creates fewer stacked boxes for our rbs, and (maybe most importantly) (c) creates lots of green for kyler to scramble. All that without even directly addressing what he would bring to the table actually catching bombs and having the speed to actually make something out of the awful horizontal passing game that kliff has loved running to our slow wrs.

all that and I’m likely a toss up between waddle and zaven

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There is truth in this.

Bucs go Barrett, JPP, White and David. JPP was 12.5 mil this year, White was 6.7. Barrett got 15.8. David 10.7.

Steelers have 3 first round picks in their LB corp. Highest one taken was Bevin Bush at 10 overall.

Bears 3-4 has Mack 20+, Quinn 14.7, Roquan a 1st rounder 6 mil and Trevethan at 5 mil.

So, the Cardinals deciding to take another ILB wouldn't be the stretch that I initially thought it would be even if it is not my preferred path.
Yup. And those are pretty good defenses.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed. As much as fancy toys like waddle, Collins and the such are exciting, the most exciting thing would be to see kyler behind a dominant oline. I’m hoping we splurge on interior oline in FA and that jones emerges.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
IF Josh Jones works out at RT, the Cards will have given K1 a better o line situation than Russ has had for the last 6 years --

and sets them up for a good offensive line for the next 3-4. Interior guys are far easier to find than tackles.
True but I feel like this team hasn’t had a truly good center since they moved to Arizona. Tried the proven FA route once with gruttadoria and he just fell apart on us.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That’s a right one for me. Waddle likely has a big impact on our entire offense even indirectly. If he can play his speed pulls safeties thereby (a) opening underneath more for hop and Arnold, (b) creates fewer stacked boxes for our rbs, and (maybe most importantly) (c) creates lots of green for kyler to scramble. All that without even directly addressing what he would bring to the table actually catching bombs and having the speed to actually make something out of the awful horizontal passing game that kliff has loved running to our slow wrs.

Personally, when it comes to WRs in the draft, I feel I can get 90% of Jaylen Waddle in round 3 if I want it that badly. There are just so many WRs every year that can contribute right away I find it tough to prioritize one in round 1.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
True but I feel like this team hasn’t had a truly good center since they moved to Arizona. Tried the proven FA route once with gruttadoria and he just fell apart on us.
Sad to think Lyle Sendlein might be the best C the Arizona Cardinals have had since moving to Arizona.

It is also probably a significant reason we have struggled in all of those years.

football karma

Reaction score
Sad to think Lyle Sendlein might be the best C the Arizona Cardinals have had since moving to Arizona.

It is also probably a significant reason we have struggled in all of those years.

Lyle was probably better than given credit for

but yes.........

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s a tight one for me. Waddle likely has a big impact on our entire offense even indirectly. If he can play his speed pulls safeties thereby (a) opening underneath more for hop and Arnold, (b) creates fewer stacked boxes for our rbs, and (maybe most importantly) (c) creates lots of green for kyler to scramble. All that without even directly addressing what he would bring to the table actually catching bombs and having the speed to actually make something out of the awful horizontal passing game that kliff has loved running to our slow wrs.

The way I see it is ILBs that are 260lb, can run what looks like a 4.5 and has that varied skill set are rare as hens teeth.

WRs with speed you can get deep in the draft.

I'd also really like Curtis Samuel in FA. He's still only 24 and ascending.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We are in the perfect position for interior O-Line. Always a value pick in the 15 to 20 range.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WRs with speed you can get deep in the draft.
With just speed, sure.

Not along with YAC machines, great hands, good route runners, & overall game-breakers like Waddle. Waddle just doesn’t have regular speed, he has transcendent speed.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With just speed, sure.

Not along with YAC machines, great hands, good route runners, & overall game-breakers like Waddle. Waddle just doesn’t have regular speed, he has transcendent speed.

Sure. Waddle is great.

But as Chopper said, I think you can get 90% of Waddle in round 3. Tougher to do that with other positions.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure. Waddle is great.

But as Chopper said, I think you can get 90% of Waddle in round 3. Tougher to do that with other positions.
Personally, when it comes to WRs in the draft, I feel I can get 90% of Jaylen Waddle in round 3 if I want it that badly. There are just so many WRs every year that can contribute right away I find it tough to prioritize one in round 1.
I don’t think you could get 50% of a player like Jaylen Waddle in round 3 let alone 90%.

I feel like you can draft quality ILBs after round 1 more than anything.

Fred Warner
Darius Leonard
Eric Kendricks
Demario Davis
Bobby Wagner
Lavonte David

All have been the best ILBs in the game for a while & none of them were drafted on Day 1. What also stands out about this is that at their best, they were/are behind stout DLines(not the case for Wagner & Kendricks anymore/as of now).

Investing a round 1 pick on a ILB when you have a bad DL is just bad investing. I’d rather draft Barmore over Collins if anything.

Last edited:

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
Cards should not even consider a RB in the 1st. Out of the 10 best rushers this year, only 2 of them were drafted in the first round, and one of those wasn't even a running back, it was Lamar. The best backs in the league are midrounders.

football karma

Reaction score
fun fact that is influencing my thinking on where to go draft (and FA) wise

first 8 games -- 5-3, K1 was sacked 10 times

last 8 games -- 3-5, K1 was sacked 17 times

yes, they played better defenses during the back half, but if you isolate the SF and SEA games

SF #1 (with Nick Bosa) 2 sacks / SF #2 3 sacks
SEA #1 0 sacks (on 48 attempts!) / SEA #2 3 sacks

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Sure. Waddle is great.

I want to see his shuttles and cone drills. That will tell the tale for me.

I need short area explosion as well as long and short speed/quickness. You can't be the next Reek without both in top 90th percentile.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I don’t think you could get 50% of a player like Jaylen Waddle in round 3 let alone 90%.

I feel like you can draft quality ILBs after round 1 more than anything.

Fred Warner
Darius Leonard
Eric Kendricks
Demario Davis
Bobby Wagner
Lavonte David

All have been the best ILBs in the game for a while & none of them were drafted on Day 1. What also stands out about this is that at their best, they were/are behind stout DLines(not the case for Wagner & Kendricks anymore/as of now).

Investing a round 1 pick on a ILB when you have a bad DL is just bad investing. I’d rather draft Barmore over Collins if anything.
I mostly agree. Especially at a position like WR.

The genetic and athletic freaks go mostly in round one unless you have an injury or character history. IE Reek or DK.

At less important positions like ILB, you can find middle round athletic freaks who lacked production or played at a small school. Like Chinn and Jordyn Brooks.

At a flashy position, they may have a big trait like speed, but lack production, or quickness, or hands. Something always makes them drop. Waddle is a top tier #1 prospect because he lacks nothing. Hell...... Playing in the title game probably even added a bit more love to his scouting reports.