Your unpopular take/opinion for this draft?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He needed all those 2 yard runs to break 1000 yards.
And still didn't get there. :D

I think with the Drake situation, the Cardinals might go RB fairly early in the draft.

I'd consider taking Najee Harris.

Sure RB is not a premium position by modern standards, but the Cardinals offense is significantly better when the lead back can consistently produce. I think with Kyler's inconsistencies, the Cardinals should prioritize running the ball and playing great defense.
I agree with this as an unpopular take that I'd support.

But it's hard to tell right now without FA. I have such a lack of faith in Keim that it's difficult for me to figure out what he should do until we have a better perspective here. I'd love to be able to go CB #1 to play on the other side of PP21 for a year or two.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Zach Martin went #16. The same spot AVT would go if we drafted them. Was he really a no-brainer at that spot?

Darrisaw? I absolutely could. Jenkins? I honestly think there’s no chance in hell he goes before AVT. I don’t even think he goes 1st round.

Trading back sounds nice until another team snatches him before us & we end up reaching for a player that we had little intention of getting compared to the one we should’ve gotten.
I think Darrisaw goes ahead of AVT because he is more of a pure OT and has more prototypical size and length that NFL prioritize at OT.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here is another VERY unpopular take.

Zaven Collins is a 6'4 260 off-ball LB who can run and has LB instincts. I understand we have needs at CB and on the OL, but if you believe that those are two spots we will likely target in FA, Zaven is a very interesting player in round 1. He actually complements Simmons skill set very well, he fits in terms of matching up to a zone-run heavy division and he clogs up passing lanes with his length. He can cover TEs well enough to let Simmons rush. He is athletic enough to stop outside zone runs. He is fast enough to recover and drop vs play action. He can rush off the edge as well if you need to mix things up.

Also, there is a very real possibility that Slater, AVJ, Darrisaw, Farley, Horn, Surtain, Chase, Pitts and Smith are gone when we pick. We have all acknowledged Hicks is limited at ILB and he is also expensive. Collins is nether limited athletically nor expensive. Also, you could argue Collins would meet BPA as well. I am not advocating for this, but if FA goes the way I think it does and we don't trade back, Collins is a legit option.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Zaven Collins is a 6'4 260 off-ball LB who can run and has LB instincts. I understand we have needs at CB and on the OL, but if you believe that those are two spots we will likely target in FA, Zaven is a very interesting player in round 1. He actually complements Simmons skill set very well, he fits in terms of matching up to a zone-run heavy division and he clogs up passing lanes with his length. He can cover TEs well enough to let Simmons rush. He is athletic enough to stop outside zone runs. He is fast enough to recover and drop vs play action. He can rush off the edge as well if you need to mix things up.

Also, there is a very real possibility that Slater, AVJ, Darrisaw, Farley, Horn, Surtain, Chase, Pitts and Smith are gone when we pick. We have all acknowledged Hicks is limited at ILB and he is also expensive. Collins is nether limited athletically nor expensive. Also, you could argue Collins would meet BPA as well. I am not advocating for this, but if FA goes the way I think it does and we don't trade back, Collins is a legit option.
Ehhhh I’m not in the business of drafting ILBs in back-to-back drafts

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I said the exact same thing a few weeks ago. Hard not to like the tools Collins has and I also think he compliments Simmons. That would be some LB corps.

I'd have no problem with a small trade back and picking up Collins.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Zaven Collins is a 6'4 260 off-ball LB who can run and has LB instincts. I understand we have needs at CB and on the OL, but if you believe that those are two spots we will likely target in FA, Zaven is a very interesting player in round 1. He actually complements Simmons skill set very well, he fits in terms of matching up to a zone-run heavy division

the Cards might have their Devin White / Lavonte David equivalent with that

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That was my first thought too, but truth be told the magic of 3-4 defenses often lie in the linebacker units. The more athletic, fast, and versatile those four are the more likely the success of the defense. Wouldn’t be my first, second or third choice but if ended with us having a keuchly/Davis pairing for a decade there are far worse outcomes.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was my first thought too, but truth be told the magic of 3-4 defenses often lie in the linebacker units. The more athletic, fast, and versatile those four are the more likely the success of the defense. Wouldn’t be my first, second or third choice but if ended with us having a keuchly/Davis pairing for a decade there are far worse outcomes.

That was my thought also. LB corps are becoming increasingly important and can make a huge difference on how other areas of the defense perform. I can't recall it it was P2 or Hicks commented last year on the issues CB's were having with inside moves because LB's were not covering the under.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Another thing with Collins is that he's superb off the field too. Top of his class in school so real smart. Plays multiple sports. No off field concerns. He's 21 years old but looks and sounds about 30.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Another thing with Collins is that he's superb off the field too. Top of his class in school so real smart. Plays multiple sports. No off field concerns. He's 21 years old but looks and sounds about 30.
I didn't know anything about this guy, nor had I even heard of him, so I'm doing some reading.

look at his stat line in 8 games in 2020.

In eight games, Collins put up 54 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, 4.0 sacks, four interceptions, two pass deflections, two forced fumbles, a safety, and a fumble recovery. The Tulsa linebacker also took two of his interceptions back to the end zone and accumulated 156 return yards.

I mean, what? lol, those numbers are unreal

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/zaven-collins-nfl-draft-player-profile-tulsa-linebacker/

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
On paper it grosses me out as well, but get playmakers where ever you can at this point. If there are no good offers and the choice is Jalen Mayfield, the 4th best CB, Jaelen Phillips, or Jaylen Waddle...I think you have to feel Zaven Collins is a real option compared to that group.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Something to consider regarding a draft with Collins in round 1.

A draft of...

16 - Zaven Collins - ILB Tulsa
49 - Landon Dickerson - C/G - Alabama OR Greg Newsome - CB - Northwestern
80 - Keith Taylor Jr - Washington OR Quinn Meinerz - C/G - Wisconsin- Whitewater

...isn't terrible if we sign a veteran interior OL and CB in free agency. If you want the G/T option Walker Little - Stanford or Dillon Radunz in round 2 or James Hudson Cincinnati in round 3 are also options.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On paper it grosses me out as well, but get playmakers where ever you can at this point. If there are no good offers and the choice is Jalen Mayfield, the 4th best CB, Jaelen Phillips, or Jaylen Waddle...I think you have to feel Zaven Collins is a real option compared to that group.
Out of these options, I’m taking Waddle with the swiftness & not looking back.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Def Gone:
  1. Lawrence
  2. Sewell
  3. Chase
  4. Surtain
  5. Wilson
Prob Gone:
  1. Fields
  2. Smith
  3. Parsons
  4. Slater - LOVE LOVE LOVE
  5. Lance
  6. Farley - Top CB's just don't fall out of the top 15.
On the fence:
  1. Pitts - Like
  2. Waddle - Like/Love
  3. AVT - Like
  4. Darrisaw - Like
  5. Cosmi - Pretty high on. Like/Love - Prob my pick if Jones can play Guard next to DJ
  6. Rousseau - Like

Radar:
  1. Horn - Projected freaks at CB like Horn (Ala DRC) get picked between 15 and 30.
  2. JOK - LOVE
  3. Paye - Love
  4. Phillips - Like
  5. Toney - Like

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
16 is too high for Collins. Now, if Parsons fell, he may be an option.

I think Collins is a fringe 1st rounder.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Def Gone:
  1. Lawrence
  2. Sewell
  3. Chase
  4. Surtain
  5. Wilson
Prob Gone:
  1. Fields
  2. Smith
  3. Parsons
  4. Slater - LOVE LOVE LOVE
  5. Lance
On the fence:
  1. Pitts - Like
  2. Waddle - Like/Love
  3. AVT - Like
  4. Darrisaw - Like
  5. Cosmi - Pretty high on. Like/Love - Prob my pick if Jones can play Guard next to DJ
  6. Rousseau - Like

Radar:
  1. Horn
  2. JOK - LOVE
  3. Paye - Love
  4. Phillips - Like
  5. Toney - Like
Where’s Farley? He’d be my pick.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
16 is too high for Collins. Now, if Parsons fell, he may be an option.

I think Collins is a fringe 1st rounder.

According to the mock draft database his current consensus ranking is #15 and most mocks have him going #18 to the Dolphins. Draft is like him.

I think he goes somewhere between 15 and 25.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something to consider regarding a draft with Collins in round 1.

A draft of...

16 - Zaven Collins - ILB Tulsa
49 - Landon Dickerson - C/G - Alabama OR Greg Newsome - CB - Northwestern
80 - Keith Taylor Jr - Washington OR Quinn Meinerz - C/G - Wisconsin- Whitewater

...isn't terrible if we sign a veteran interior OL and CB in free agency. If you want the G/T option Walker Little - Stanford or Dillon Radunz in round 2 or James Hudson Cincinnati in round 3 are also options.

The other plus for Collins is that if he somehow doesn't work out as an ILB he has the size, weight and speed to play OLB in a 3-4.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice Zaven Collins thread here including some edge play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As @Chopper0080 said. He complements Simmons well. His play style is very different.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, he is a kind of Karlos dansby, ILB with pass rusher body
Any chance is there in round 2?
A guy with these skillset will change drastically our defense

No chance he's there for our 2nd round pick, but he's worth the #16 as you can clearly see. A lot of analysts like him for the Pats pick in front of us or Dolphins just behind us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson