Your top board...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We have a lot posters on this board who I actually respect more than the draft pros in the media. From a Cardinal's perspective, could some of you guys list your top 15 players if you where setting up the Cardinal's board for the draft... thank you :)

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's 20

1. Miles Garrett

- Generational freak. 33 reps with 35" arms? He went all the way down and up too. Dude is sick.

2. Deshaun Watson
- Though unorthodox, he's shown that he has the physical attributes necessary. Most importantly, he seizes the moment. The man wins and wins more the bigger the game. Dare I say he has moxie?

3. Malik Hooker
- Closest think to Ed Reed since Ed Reed. I live in the Wash/Baltimore area. He was indescribably irreplaceable to that team. Repeatedly sticking the offense back on the field has shown to be a solid formula for success.

4. Jonathan Allen
- The shoulders concern me a little long term but if he's as good as projected, we wouldn't be likely to re-sign him anyway.

5. Pat Mahomes
- While I don't think Arians is half the QB guru that people mindlessly portray him as, I think he's come to believe it a bit. More power to him on this one. Mahomes has it all physically and seems like a great kid too. I know this is earlier than many have him slotted but if you think he's good enough to be your future QB then he's good enough to be picked right away.

6. OJ Howard
-
Im not big on his college production but he's a well spoken, good kid with all the ability in the world.

7. Leonard Fournette
- I don't want us to take him but if he's there at 13 and is the next up on your list, you BPA it and let the chips fall where they may.

8. Jamal Adams
- Better player than where I have him slotted but all the safeties seem to look good in our D and I'm hoping we resign Swearinger or Jefferson.

9. John Ross

- I LOVE this guy. All he does is score touchdowns. Antonio Brown 2. Decent route runner, def needs footwork help but ultra competitive, another special teamer, GREAT HANDS and another gear that his opponents just don't possess. If he didn't have the injury history, I'd probably have him higher.

10. Sidney Jones

- While I agree this is s very good CB class, there aren't any super prospects. We want Quincy Wilson's size, Lattimore's coverage, Jones' tenacity and Tabor's effort in run support. Honestly, if it weren't for the character issues, Tabor would be #1 on my CB list. Everyone is missing something. In Jones' case, it's size/strength. I like the size of the fight in the dog though. His consistency doesn't hurt either.

12. Mike Williams

-production production production. You never catch 98 balls in a year by slacking. His speed is in question but he bodies up and gets open. I don't like that he's scared to run at the combine. That alone is why he's not my #1 receiver.

13. Corey Davis

- Admittedly, I haven't seen much of him. I love the talent. He looks like TO out there. The level of competition is what I'm struggling with. His choice not to run at the combine left me no choice.

14. Deshone Kizer

- Not sure why but I'm not as big on him as most. If he's so good, why wasn't Norte Dame? I like the intelligence, ability and attitude though and we need a QB. I think Watson and Mahomes are gone by the time we pick. Prob Kizer too. poo. This is the Cardinals. The Steelers will trade up to 10, 11 and 12 to take the three of them if we have any interest.

15. Hassan Reddick

- Doesn't carry Foster's mean streak but is more intelligent and plays the game the right way. Slightly better size and no injury issues. Great team guy and one I'd give the green dot to over Foster or Buc.

16. Quincy Wilson
-Great size. I need to see him run and work in drills compared to Lattimore before moving him up. I'm trying not to hold Tabor's run support against Wilson but it's hard watching him at least occasionally crush running backs while Wilson whiffs or plays pattycake and not notice. Then again, we appreciate Peterson's "effort" so much that we had him on punt coverage last year...

17. Marshon Lattimore

- Best cover guy in draft, hands down. Not a Peterson though, no special ball skills, very little run support, not great presser.

18. TJ Watt

- I know I have him higher than most and, yes, it's partially on account of his oldest brother. It's also based on his production and newness to the position though.

19. Reuben Foster

- I don't like the dumb stuff at the combine. Regardless of the details, this moron showed a lack of too many important character traits. What an idiot. With that said, the idiot can ball out.

20. Christian McCaffrey

- I hate his position but love his versatility. Kid is a special teams demon and can spread wide, create mismatches and keep DJ fresh. People saying he can seamlessly take over the slot when Fitz goes are smoking crack though. Lots of great players are great players. I think this kid will be too. Doesn't make him or anybody else Larry though.

Last edited:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
My Top 25:

1. Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
2. Myles Garrett, Edge, Texas A&M
3. Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
4. Solomon Thomas, DT/DE, Stanford
5. Malik Hooker, FS, Ohio St.
6. Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio St.
7. Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
8. Haason Reddick, LB, Temple
9. Jonathan Allen, DT/DE, Alabama
10. Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
11. Takkarist McKinley, Edge, LSU
12. Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
13. Jamal Adams, SS, LSU
14. Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio St.
15. Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky
16. Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida St.
17. O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
18. Dehsaun Watson, QB, Clemson
19. John Ross, WR, Washington
20. Derek Barnett, Edge, Tennessee
21. Budda Baker, FS, Washington
22. Jabrill Peppers, SS, Michigan
23. Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
24. Taco Charlton, Edge, Michigan
25. Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida

I would be happy with any one of these players for the Cardinals, as I think all of them have high ceilings.

Last edited:

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Too hard to stop at 15!!

1. Myles Garrett, Edge, TAMU
2. Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford
3. Malik Hooker, S, Ohio St
4. Jamal Adams, S, LSU
5. Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio St
6. OJ Howard, TE, Alabama
7. Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
8. Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
9. Corey Davis, WR, W Michigan
10. Quincy Wilson, DB, Florida
11. Jabril Peppers, S, Michigan
12. Haason Reddick, LB, Temple
13. Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama
14. Malik McDowell, DL, Michigan St
15. Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
16. Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio St
17. Taco Charleton, DL, Michigan
18. Derek Barnett, DL, Tennessee
19. Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
20. Forest Lamp, OG, W Kentucky
21. Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss
22. Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida St
23. Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida
24. Charles Harris, Edge, Missouri
25. Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

I don't know what to do with J Allen right now with his arthritis. Howard, Peppers, Reddick and Engram were the most impressive to me this weekend. Takk McKinley was biggest disappointment. Not because of his times, but he has had weeks to learn these drills and screwed up every one. If he can't handle these simple assignments, he will be in BA's doghouse from the first practice and we will have another redshirt. If they were to draft him, this would be on them though!

To me Garrett has separated himself. Very slight drop off in talent through 13 after 2. I have no idea what to do with the QB's. I think I like Trubisky the best but that could change by this afternoon. It's getting REAL now!!! Going to be a fun ride through April!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

14. Deshone Kizer

- Not sure why but I'm not as big on him as most. If he's so good, why wasn't Norte Dame? I like the intelligence, ability and attitude though and we need a QB. I think Watson and Mahomes are gone by the time we pick. Prob Kizer too. ****. This is the Cardinals. The Steelers will trade up to 10, 11 and 12 to take the three of them if we have any interest.

:D tru.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Garrett and Fournette are gone. So after them this is how I rate the Cardinals priority in the 1st Rd.

1. D. Watson QB
2. P. Mahomes QB
3. M. Hooker FS
4. M. Trubisky QB
5. C. McCaffrey RB/Rec/ST' s
6. D. Kizer QB
7. S. Thomas DE
8. J. Allen DL
9. R. Foster ILB
J. Adams S
10 D. Barnett Edge
11 C. Davis WR
12 M. Williams WR
13 S Jones CB
14 M. Lattimore CB
15 M. Humphrey CB
16 T. Taber CB
17 D. Cook RB
18 OJ Howard TE
19 J. Peppers S
20 T. Charlton Edge
21 H. Reddick ILB
22 D Njoku TE
23 R. McMillen ILB
24 Z Cunningham OLB
25 J. Ross WR
26 F. Lamp G
27 E. Engram TE
28 B. Baker FS
29 D. King FS
30 TJ Watt OLB

I expect the Cardinals to address WR, CB and SS in FA. That will also affect the priorities. I see a very deep draft for WR's and TE's, which also affected the ranking as I saw it.

Had Jamal Adams at #10, but was moving my board around and forgot to insert him back in there.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
My top 5 for the Cards based on players who may be there:
ROUND 1
Reuben Foster
Malik Hooker
Deshaun Watson
OJ Howard
Marlon Humphrey

ROUND 2
Zay Jones
Curtis Samuel
DeShone Kizer
Dan Feeney
Raekwon McMillan

I would be ecstatic with a Foster/Jones 1-2 combo.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. Garrett
2. C Davis
3. Peppers
4. Adams
5. Hooker
6. Engram
7. Reddick
8. M Williams
9. Ramczyk
10. Cunningham
11. Lattimore
12. Howard
13. Ross
14. Feeney
15. Foster
16. Allen
17. Lamp

Additional Random Comments:

I'm nervous about Peppers' tendency to grandstand, but would like for us to be 3-deep in hybrids. (Note - For those of you looking for a backup to David Johnson, he can do that).

I'm leaning toward Webb or Dobbs as 3rd (or even 2nd) round QBOF picks.

I downgraded Foster due to the weird hospital dustup

Allen represents our best shot at replacing Calais

Suggest we compile a short list of players from small Eastern PA schools plus UConn - Outstanding athletes. Plus: BA has background in Eastern PA.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My top 5 for the Cards based on players who may be there:
ROUND 1
Reuben Foster
Malik Hooker
Deshaun Watson
OJ Howard
Marlon Humphrey

ROUND 2
Zay Jones
Curtis Samuel
DeShone Kizer
Dan Feeney
Raekwon McMillan

I would be ecstatic with a Foster/Jones 1-2 combo.

Did you watch Kizer throw at the combine? Dude was all over the place. Very inaccurate. What does your scout friend think of him or can he say?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
TOP 15 for Cardinals Board

1-Myles Garrett - OLB - Texas A&M
-Best player in the draft.
2-Solomon Thomas - OLB - Stanford
-Showed the athleticism needed to play OLB in base packages.
3-Reuben Foster - ILB - Alabama
-Combine stuff is a smoke show hiding the fact that he is an amazing LB, who could anchor our defense.
4-Jamal Adams - S - LSU
-Great leader. Can play single high S. insurance for Mathieu.
5-Malik Hooker - S - Ohio St.
-Best single high S in the draft. Not as polished or as versatile as Adams.
6-Sidney Jones - CB - Washington
-Most consistent cover CB in the draft.
7-Marshon Lattimore - CB - Ohio St.
-Higher upside than Jones, but injury and polish questions.
8-OJ Howard - TE - Alabama
-Player in the draft who has the best cahnce to make the biggest impact on Cardinals offense nest year.
9-Deshaun Watson - QB - Clemson
-Showed really nice footwork, and pretty nice deep accuracy.
10-Johnathan Allen - DE - Alabama
-3-4 DE who would valuable but a position with a lot of bodies already on it.
11-David Njoku - TE - Miami
-2nd best TE in the draft, offers similar skills as Howard.
12-Haason Reddick - ILB - Temple
-Lack of positional depth on roster and in draft elevates over others.
13-Tak McKinnley - OLB - UCLA
-Haven't seen advertised burst on tape or at combine...could just be an effort pass rusher.
14-Gareon Conley - CB - Ohio St.
-Ability to play inside and outside is really valuable. More polished than Humphrey and bigger than Jackson.
15-Patrick Mahomes - QB - Texas Tech
-Tons of great tools, tons of question marks. I'm not real confident with this spot.

I think putting RBs on the board would be silly. We have one of the best in the league on the roster already, they have a short shelf life, and there is top talent at positions of greater importance. While there are a couple talented ones, they would be in my top 15...maybe in round 2.

I don't really like either Mike Williams or Corey Davis as top WRs. Davis has some speed and hands issues. Mike Williams can struggle to separate. And honestly, both are too dependent on a QB position that is uncertain moving forward. If I thought Palmer had 2 or 3 more years, i would be higher on them.

Garrett Bolles is a future LT in the NFL. I'm not sure we can afford to invest more money and resources in our offensive line with hurting other areas of the team.

It isn't a great draft for defensive linemen...I can't see any others worth a first rounder.

Most of the other LBs are more effort guys, and I already struggle to put McKinnley because I fear he is as well.

CBs and Ss are options, there are a ton. I was tempted to fill 12-15 with secondary players.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think putting RBs on the board would be silly. We have one of the best in the league on the roster already, they have a short shelf life, and there is top talent at positions of greater importance. While there are a couple talented ones, they would be in my top 15...maybe in round 2.
Besides Palmer and probably Peterson, DJ would be the teams greatest loss if he were to miss any length of time. Not confident in the back ups. So targeting QB to learn, CB and RB does make some sense. Especially if they are pure impact types. I happen to see more at the RB position then the QB & CB positions. But considered the greater need of the team, even though I'd expect there to be a fairly big learning curve. The WR's and RB/Rec. would contribute more immediately, imo.Tough call, but I'd expect to see some progress in some of these areas in FA.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Besides Palmer and probably Peterson, DJ would be the teams greatest loss if he were to miss any length of time. Not confident in the back ups. So targeting QB to learn, CB and RB does make some sense. Especially if they are pure impact types. I happen to see more at the RB position then the QB & CB positions. But considered the greater need of the team, even though I'd expect there to be a fairly big learning curve. The WR's and RB/Rec. would contribute more immediately, imo.Tough call, but I'd expect to see some progress in some of these areas in FA.

There is no history behind the thought that a RB needs time to learn and develop. You can make that argument for QBs, but even then, the really good ones tend to produce from day 1. Also, we are talking about a first round pick. I agree that you want depth on your roster, but you have to weigh what resources you are using to create that depth. There is no reason to invest a 1st round pick at a position to hedge against injury. If you want to make that argument, you would have an OT high on this list as well. In truth, we do need to add some depth to the RB position, that is true. But using a first round pick on one would be complete stupidity.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the quality and quantity of DB's in this draft does that impact FA at all. Is Cooper easier and cheaper to re-sign because team will go with the draft since quality CB's will be available in round 3 or even 4?

Does Tony Jefferson become more affordable for the same reason mentioned above?

RB's are also suppose to be a deep talent pool so we could get our back up to DJ after rd 3.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
There is no history behind the thought that a RB needs time to learn and develop. You can make that argument for QBs, but even then, the really good ones tend to produce from day 1. Also, we are talking about a first round pick. I agree that you want depth on your roster, but you have to weigh what resources you are using to create that depth. There is no reason to invest a 1st round pick at a position to hedge against injury. If you want to make that argument, you would have an OT high on this list as well. In truth, we do need to add some depth to the RB position, that is true. But using a first round pick on one would be complete stupidity.
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that QB's and CB's take more time, not RB's. RB's and WR's impact more dramatically right away. But the QB and CB and FS, imo is the greatest need going forward at this time.

Regarding hedging against injury...no, he'd play plenty and contribute and can be on the field for many packages. I realise the chance of the Cardinals thinking outside of the box is minimal, but taking some pages out of the Patriots playbook wouldn't be a bad idea. But it doesn't have to be McCaffrey. I'm probably overvaluing him, like you may be for a particular player(s). I just also realize the complete and utter suckness of the Cardinals ST's fresh in my memory as well.

Knowing the Cardinals they'll also overpay for a Cutler next year also.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that QB's and CB's take more time, not RB's. RB's and WR's impact more dramatically right away. But the QB and CB and FS, imo is the greatest need going forward at this time.

Regarding hedging against injury...no, he'd play plenty and contribute and can be on the field for many packages. I realise the chance of the Cardinals thinking outside of the box is minimal, but taking some pages out of the Patriots playbook wouldn't be a bad idea. But it doesn't have to be McCaffrey. I'm probably overvaluing him, like you may be for a particular player(s). I just also realize the complete and utter suckness of the Cardinals ST's fresh in my memory as well.

Knowing the Cardinals they'll also overpay for a Cutler next year also.

So, when it comes down to high draft picks, it really should be about value, opportunity, and character. Here are my qualifying questions for first rounders...

1-Is he scheme versatile?
2-Is he size/speed average?
3-Can he play 3 downs?
4-What is the year 1 role/opportunity? How valuable is that role?
5-What role/opportunity can he grow into? How valuable is that role.
6-Character Discussion.

So, in terms of RBs, David Johnson plays a huge role in how I set my board, because he makes #4 and #5 tough. McCaffrey probably hits the mark best out of the first round RBs, but I don't see much of an opportunity for him to grow into a larger role, and the returner role is one that you can fill with other players. You may not fill it as well, but it also won't cost a very valuable asset to do so.

People bring up the Pats a lot, but you have to understand that 18 years or so of Brady & Belichick are what allows them to have that system. The Pats have players for assigned roles, yes. But they also fill those roles without utilizing premium resources. We are not there yet as an organization.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Fair enough. My main point in bringing up the Pats is the diversity they're able to implement and flourish with. It was masterful how White was used in the biggest showcase. No one saw it coming. I believe a Johnson, McCaffrey interchangeable offense could work extremely well. They both have the skill sets to create big mismatches and to where D's couldn't solely game plan for just one mainly.

Chances are we'll see it, almost nill.

Mitch

Reaction score
Fair enough. My main point in bringing up the Pats is the diversity they're able to implement and flourish with. It was masterful how White was used in the biggest showcase. No one saw it coming. I believe a Johnson, McCaffrey interchangeable offense could work extremely well. They both have the skill sets to create big mismatches and to where D's couldn't solely game plan for just one mainly.

Chances are we'll see it, almost nill.

Steve Keim has been saying he would love to find a RB/WR combo to pair with David Johnson. That could mean that he and BA are considering McCaffrey. I don't think it is as much of a long shot as people seem to think. The STs upside is another factor for a team that needs a major turnaround in that area.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steve Keim has been saying he would love to find a RB/WR combo to pair with David Johnson. That could mean that he and BA are considering McCaffrey. I don't think it is as much of a long shot as people seem to think. The STs upside is another factor for a team that needs a major turnaround in that area.
I think they would consider more kamara for that role
He has the body type to play behind dj.
Mcafreey would be a 3rd back for BA

Mitch

Reaction score
I think they would consider more kamara for that role
He has the body type to play behind dj.
Mcafreey would be a 3rd back for BA

Kamara? His Combine was rather disappointing. But he is used to splitting time at RB as he never become the clear-cut starter in TN.

McCaffrey as a 3rd RB? Come on, man.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kamara? His Combine was rather disappointing. But he is used to splitting time at RB as he never become the clear-cut starter in TN.

McCaffrey as a 3rd RB? Come on, man.
Kamara had a good combine, and was reported he was impressive during his interviews

Kamara has some injury issues but he is a 3downs back, I dont think the same can be said about mcaffrey
Imo I dont think McAffrey can have more then 10 carries per game, so at my eyes he cant be a full time runninback or even being a backup runninback
He can play woodhead, darren sproles role

My opinion,

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Kamara had a good combine, and was reported he was impressive during his interviews

Kamara has some injury issues but he is a 3downs back, I dont think the same can be said about mcaffrey
Imo I dont think McAffrey can have more then 10 carries per game, so at my eyes he cant be a full time runninback or even being a backup runninback
He can play woodhead, darren sproles role

My opinion,
You are heavily under-valuing McCafrey. He's in a completely different league than Woodhead and Sproles....

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Solomon Thomas seems to be about as universally loved on this board as you can get. I know he is unlikely to fall to us, but my question is where does everyone see him playing in our defense? We have a much bigger need at DE if CC leaves. I think he has the strength to handle the position, but curious to hear your thoughts!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chopper - I get what you're saying, but can't get out of my mind about what Steve Keim said about this becoming more and more of a mismatch game.

Would ths really put a premium on scheme-versatility? Or would it instead place more value on certain parts of a skill set meant to neuteralize or exploit the weaknesses of key opposing players we'll face on our schedule.

(I've always been big on versatility but - given Steve's comments - have to wonder).

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
We agree on this. But the Cardinals draft strategy is to fill holes early. They may draft a multiple threat positional/ST's a bit later even though they have a few already in Smoke and JJ. But how effective were they in the role? I have NO doubts that DJ and McCaffrey would both flourish in the interchangable roles they could implement. But again the Cardinals do not draft this way normally, with very mixed results.

I would take a QB early if one falls they really like as well because it's extremely important they can sit for a year under Palmer. Or if the worst happens, they someone to groom.

Other option is someone like Foster. CB should be had in FA. It's too important of a year. Keep developing Williams and build him up.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WildBB - Granted there's a lot of coach-speak out there, but I haven't heard anything to suggest that the Cards will be shifting from a BPA draft approach to a need-based strategy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player