Your top board...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
WildBB - Granted there's a lot of coach-speak out there, but I haven't heard anything to suggest that the Cards will be shifting from a BPA draft approach to a need-based strategy.

One of the biggest myths in the draft game is that need and best player are someone not connected. They are, and they have to be. The player grades are so close that you have to have separators. One of those is need or, another way to put it, is opportunity for impact. That is why most draft boards are 150 players deep and they don't run out of spots.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Fair enough. My main point in bringing up the Pats is the diversity they're able to implement and flourish with. It was masterful how White was used in the biggest showcase. No one saw it coming. I believe a Johnson, McCaffrey interchangeable offense could work extremely well. They both have the skill sets to create big mismatches and to where D's couldn't solely game plan for just one mainly.

Chances are we'll see it, almost nill.
But the point of the Pats is that they acquire players like White outside of high picks in the draft, and without paying them substantial dollars. Instead of drafting a first round RB, the Pats pay Blount 2mil, acquire Dion Lewis, and draft and develop James White using a 4th rounder. They use low cost dollars, and a 4th round pick to do what you are saying to do. That is not comparable to using a 1st rounder on McCaffrey.

Kirk Fontana

Reaction score
Top 15 in no particular order:
Haason Reddick
Jonathan Allen
Corey Davis
Christian McCaffrey
Mitchell Trubisky
O.J. Howard
Leonard Fournette
Myles Garrett
Solomon Thomas
Malik Hooker
Dehsaun Watson
John Ross
**** Tabor
Jabrill Peppers
Quincy Wilson

Top 5 if I'm picking for the Cards at 13:
1. C. Davis
2. Q. Wilson
3. D. Watson
4. M. Trubisky
5. O.J Howard

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of the biggest myths in the draft game is that need and best player are someone not connected. They are, and they have to be. The player grades are so close that you have to have separators. One of those is need or, another way to put it, is opportunity for impact. That is why most draft boards are 150 players deep and they don't run out of spots.
Of course "need" and BPA overlap quite a bit but certainly not "always." As a result, many a BPA pick turns out to fill a need. (This is especially true when a team builds "need" and "position-fit" into its individual player ratings).

But that's far different from passing on Superman because you need a corner or would like to have a multi-tool RB.

Last season, the Cards drafted a DT (Nkemdiche). Outside issues notwithstanding, he was arguably the most talented player available, but I don't think DT was our most pressing need. (And now - with CC reportedly out of here and lights going on for Nkemdiche late last season - the move seems fortuitous, with "need" catching up to BPA). Moral: Draft accoring to BPA and need will follow.

Reaction score
Top 15 in no particular order:
Haason Reddick
Jonathan Allen
Corey Davis
Christian McCaffrey
Mitchell Trubisky
O.J. Howard
Leonard Fournette
Myles Garrett
Solomon Thomas
Malik Hooker
Dehsaun Watson
John Ross
**** Tabor
Jabrill Peppers
Quincy Wilson

Top 5 if I'm picking for the Cards at 13:
1. C. Davis
2. Q. Wilson
3. D. Watson
4. M. Trubisky
5. O.J Howard

Welcome to the board! Disagree with your list but that's okay. :)