Young Cardinals

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Amidst the recent struggles the Cardinals have had over the past 20 games, I am finding myself feeling very excited and encouraged about the emerging youth on this football team. Steve Keim built the current roster in such a way that the younger players can bring much needed energy and enthusiasm to what is otherwise a largely veteran team. Here are some of the players (by position) to feel very encouraged about:

QB:

Blaine Gabbert: Gabbert is only 27 years old and he brings a dimension that few of the recent Cardinals' QBs have had --- a combination of size, arm strength and above average mobility. If you saw how the Broncos beat up on the Cowboys with trevor Siemien at QB, Siemien's ability to bootleg and shift the pocket was superb and it kept the Cowboys' defense off-balance and on their heels all afternoon. This is what Gabbert can bring to the Cardinals' offense, if and when he gets his chance. Better yet, Gabbert has a superior skills set to Siemien's. Had Gabbert grown up in the Broncos' system I have no doubt that he would be considered one of the top QBs in the NFL today.

RB:

David Johnson: Not only is Johnson one of the most dynamic combo running back and receiver the NFL has seen in recent years, he is thoroughly lovable as a human being. Ever kind and humble, Johnson is like the golden retriever who will do anything to bring a smile to your face. With Larry Fitzgerald on the verge of retiring, Johnson will now become the hard-working, modest face of the franchise, hopefully for the better part of the next decade.

T.J. Logan: Can't wait to see him healthy. Logan's speed and his aggressiveness are a formidable one-two punch. He is a home run waiting to happen in the return game and out of the backfield.

WR:

J.J. Nelson: There is something magical about J.J. Nelson, not just because he has legitimate 4.28 speed, but because he has remarkable body control. BA said it best about Nelson...he's a speed guy who can cut and change direction without losing speed or the ability to track the football.

Carlos Agudosi: The way he moves for a WR his size is stunning. It is amazing that Rutgers did not do more to maximize his skills. Tall, angular WRs are becoming quite an asset in today's NFL. Look at what issues WRs like Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin are presenting to NFL defenses. The Cardinals have one of their own in Agudosi if they can develop him.

TE:

Ricky Seals-Jones: Again, the combination of length and speed with Jones is akin to that of Agudosi's. Jones was starting to emerge as a bona fide receiving threat the last couple games of the pre-season. His talent is unmistakable.

OL:

Evan Boehm: Boehm is a blue collar, smart, take nothing for granted type of competitor. He works his tail off and gets good results. Has an excellent combination of a strong base and superb upper body strength.

John Wetzel: Give Wetzel an assignment and give him a week to prepare for it and he gets after it big-time. The thing i love about him is he is the best run blocking tackle on the roster and he has been making very good strides as a pass protector. Last week versus Jabaal Sheard and John Simon -- Wetzel yielded 0 sacks and 0 QB pressures on 40 pass attempts. I think that for the past two years he has been one of the top 4-5 best offensive linemen on the roster and it's now time to keep him in the starting lineup at either of the tackle spots.

DT:

Robert Nkemdiche: This guy is a keg of dynamite. What was so encouraging about him in the pre-season was that not only was he starting to blow up his side of the line, he was showing an increased ability to locate the football and to finish off plays. Once Nkemdiche has a taste of success in the regular season games he is going to be an indomitable force.

OLB/DE:

Markus Golden: They call him "Junk" as in junkyard dog because Golden is the epitome of tenacious and relentless. He's a better athlete than he gets credit for, imo. He's got an inmate ability to out-muscle blocks and the short area quickness to change directions and find his way to the football. Here is a guy who leaves it all out on the field. Better yet, when BA said after week one that the offensive struggles kept the defense out on the field too long, which is why they tires at the end of the game, Golden wanted no part of that thinking. He said the defense should be able to handle any type of situation and that it's on them to get it done.

LB:

Deone Bucannon: I still feel as if Deone Bucannon's best football is ahead of him. Recently he's been battling through injury and inconsistent play, but once he gets his feet back under him and once he starts trusting his instincts more regularly he is going to be a prolific playmaker. The thing about Deone is that he has always relished the physical aspects of the game.

Haason Reddick: His versatility is eye-popping. Here's a guy who can play ILB, OLB and SS because he's a superb athlete with 4.4 speed who can chase, tackle, rush the passer and cover RBs and TEs. His background as a defensive back and defensive end at Temple has allowed him to attain a diversity of skills that in today's NFL are in high demand.

S:

Budda Baker: Just as Reddick's greatest strength is his versatility, the same can be applied to Budda Baker. There is little that this defensive back can't do. He's sticky in coverage. he has a nose for the football and he is a fundamental tackler who drives through the man, as evidence by the sure and swift tackle he made on Sydney Moncrief to force an all-important punt in the Colts game. The Cardinals love to invert their safeties and to use them, if possible as slot CBs, and Baker can handle all of these assignments. Plus, he is already emerging as a star on STs.

Rudy Ford: The Cardinals need speed on the back end of their defense and this is what Ford brings. He's an aggressive player who needs time in order to develop his instincts and all of the nuances of playing safety...like taking proper angles to the football, play recognition over the top and storming the alleys to make open field tackles.

Honorable Mention:

RB Elijhaa Penny --- has stood out on STs thus far.
WR Chad Williams --- got his feet wet versus the Colts with a nice chain moving reception.
C/G Daniel Munyer --- he's got the feet to be very good.
G Dorian Johnson --- give him a year to develop and he will start to turn heads.
T Will Holden --- did a decent job as blocking TE versus Colts, can be a swing tackle.
DT Rodney Gunter --- shows flashes of ability
DT Xavier Williams --- earned a high grade in his run stopping versus the Colts
DT Olden Pierre --- coaches have raved about him, but he hasn't emerged as a playmaker yet
LB Kareem Martin --- coming off good pre-season in Okafor's old role
CB Brandon Williams --- showed some encouraging signs of improvement in pre-season

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Chad Williams gets any more reps/targets this week maybe we'll get a
better look at him. If not, I suspect the coaches would have seen something on tape that they didn't like. Wrong/sloppy routes, lining up incorrectly... etc. I'm hopeful.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nice pen, very good read with solid justification across the board.

Mitch, your growth as a writer improves daily. I see your stuff popping up on the RevOfBirds site for which I read daily. Congrats!

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think Nkemdiche hasn't shown enough yet to warrant belief he's going to be a success. My opinion of him right now is leaning more toward the bust side than the success side. Bucannon I believe is at his peak and will not get any better. I think we are seeing or have seen his ceiling. I think this is true also of Golden. The rest I have hope for. As far as the honorable mention goes Elijhaa Penny, Rodney Gunter, Xavier Williams, Kareem Martin, and Brandon Williams are all guys who can be replaced without much problem. I don't see any of them as more than backups and situational players. I think Bucannon and Golden are/will continue to be productive players who can make a difference. Johnson we know is a quality player. The rest as you mentioned will be interesting to watch and see how their careers unfold. They can all be solid starters to exceptional players.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Amidst the recent struggles the Cardinals have had over the past 20 games, I am finding myself feeling very excited and encouraged about the emerging youth on this football team. Steve Keim built the current roster in such a way that the younger players can bring much needed energy and enthusiasm to what is otherwise a largely veteran team. Here are some of the players (by position) to feel very encouraged about:

QB:

Blaine Gabbert: Gabbert is only 27 years old and he brings a dimension that few of the recent Cardinals' QBs have had --- a combination of size, arm strength and above average mobility. If you saw how the Broncos beat up on the Cowboys with trevor Siemien at QB, Siemien's ability to bootleg and shift the pocket was superb and it kept the Cowboys' defense off-balance and on their heels all afternoon. This is what Gabbert can bring to the Cardinals' offense, if and when he gets his chance. Better yet, Gabbert has a superior skills set to Siemien's. Had Gabbert grown up in the Broncos' system I have no doubt that he would be considered one of the top QBs in the NFL today.

RB:

David Johnson: Not only is Johnson one of the most dynamic combo running back and receiver the NFL has seen in recent years, he is thoroughly lovable as a human being. Ever kind and humble, Johnson is like the golden retriever who will do anything to bring a smile to your face. With Larry Fitzgerald on the verge of retiring, Johnson will now become the hard-working, modest face of the franchise, hopefully for the better part of the next decade.

T.J. Logan: Can't wait to see him healthy. Logan's speed and his aggressiveness are a formidable one-two punch. He is a home run waiting to happen in the return game and out of the backfield.

WR:

J.J. Nelson: There is something magical about J.J. Nelson, not just because he has legitimate 4.28 speed, but because he has remarkable body control. BA said it best about Nelson...he's a speed guy who can cut and change direction without losing speed or the ability to track the football.

Carlos Agudosi: The way he moves for a WR his size is stunning. It is amazing that Rutgers did not do more to maximize his skills. Tall, angular WRs are becoming quite an asset in today's NFL. Look at what issues WRs like Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin are presenting to NFL defenses. The Cardinals have one of their own in Agudosi if they can develop him.

TE:

Ricky Seals-Jones: Again, the combination of length and speed with Jones is akin to that of Agudosi's. Jones was starting to emerge as a bona fide receiving threat the last couple games of the pre-season. His talent is unmistakable.

OL:

Evan Boehm: Boehm is a blue collar, smart, take nothing for granted type of competitor. He works his tail off and gets good results. Has an excellent combination of a strong base and superb upper body strength.

John Wetzel: Give Wetzel an assignment and give him a week to prepare for it and he gets after it big-time. The thing i love about him is he is the best run blocking tackle on the roster and he has been making very good strides as a pass protector. Last week versus Jabaal Sheard and John Simon -- Wetzel yielded 0 sacks and 0 QB pressures on 40 pass attempts. I think that for the past two years he has been one of the top 4-5 best offensive linemen on the roster and it's now time to keep him in the starting lineup at either of the tackle spots.

DT:

Robert Nkemdiche: This guy is a keg of dynamite. What was so encouraging about him in the pre-season was that not only was he starting to blow up his side of the line, he was showing an increased ability to locate the football and to finish off plays. Once Nkemdiche has a taste of success in the regular season games he is going to be an indomitable force.

OLB/DE:

Markus Golden: They call him "Junk" as in junkyard dog because Golden is the epitome of tenacious and relentless. He's a better athlete than he gets credit for, imo. He's got an inmate ability to out-muscle blocks and the short area quickness to change directions and find his way to the football. Here is a guy who leaves it all out on the field. Better yet, when BA said after week one that the offensive struggles kept the defense out on the field too long, which is why they tires at the end of the game, Golden wanted no part of that thinking. He said the defense should be able to handle any type of situation and that it's on them to get it done.

LB:

Deone Bucannon: I still feel as if Deone Bucannon's best football is ahead of him. Recently he's been battling through injury and inconsistent play, but once he gets his feet back under him and once he starts trusting his instincts more regularly he is going to be a prolific playmaker. The thing about Deone is that he has always relished the physical aspects of the game.

Haason Reddick: His versatility is eye-popping. Here's a guy who can play ILB, OLB and SS because he's a superb athlete with 4.4 speed who can chase, tackle, rush the passer and cover RBs and TEs. His background as a defensive back and defensive end at Temple has allowed him to attain a diversity of skills that in today's NFL are in high demand.

S:

Budda Baker: Just as Reddick's greatest strength is his versatility, the same can be applied to Budda Baker. There is little that this defensive back can't do. He's sticky in coverage. he has a nose for the football and he is a fundamental tackler who drives through the man, as evidence by the sure and swift tackle he made on Sydney Moncrief to force an all-important punt in the Colts game. The Cardinals love to invert their safeties and to use them, if possible as slot CBs, and Baker can handle all of these assignments. Plus, he is already emerging as a star on STs.

Rudy Ford: The Cardinals need speed on the back end of their defense and this is what Ford brings. He's an aggressive player who needs time in order to develop his instincts and all of the nuances of playing safety...like taking proper angles to the football, play recognition over the top and storming the alleys to make open field tackles.

Honorable Mention:

RB Elijhaa Penny --- has stood out on STs thus far.
WR Chad Williams --- got his feet wet versus the Colts with a nice chain moving reception.
C/G Daniel Munyer --- he's got the feet to be very good.
G Dorian Johnson --- give him a year to develop and he will start to turn heads.
T Will Holden --- did a decent job as blocking TE versus Colts, can be a swing tackle.
DT Rodney Gunter --- shows flashes of ability
DT Xavier Williams --- earned a high grade in his run stopping versus the Colts
DT Olden Pierre --- coaches have raved about him, but he hasn't emerged as a playmaker yet
LB Kareem Martin --- coming off good pre-season in Okafor's old role
CB Brandon Williams --- showed some encouraging signs of improvement in pre-season
Normally, I try and stay away from these, but some of this is absurd...

Re: Gabbert. Gabbert has a career completion percentage of 56%, has thrown for 7351 yards over his six year career, and has a 1:1 TD to INT ratio. He struggles to play confidently when pressured, and never shown the ability to handle the load of an NFL starter despite multiple chances. Yet, despite this data, you assert that being in Denver, Gabbert would be one of the best QBs in the NFL? How is that anything other than wild speculation based on no factual evidence at all. Come on.

#

Re: Carlos Agudosi. Again, lets look at stats...

Carlos Agudosi College Stats...35 catches, 513 yards, 2 tds - undrafted free agent
Mike Evans College Stats...151 catches, 2,499 yards, 17 tds - 7th pick in the draft
Kelvin Benjamin College Stats...84 catches, 1,506 yards, 19 tds - 28th pick in the draft

I get that they have similar body types, but your assertion that "Look at what issues WRs like Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin are presenting to NFL defenses. The Cardinals have one of their own in Agudosi if they can develop him." is extremely far fetched. There is no point of data that Agudosi has any type of potential to be anything like Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin other than body size. You are essentially stating that any 6'6 220 person who can run a 4.6 40 has potential to be a top 50 WR in the NFL if a team can develop them.

#

Re: Ricky Seals-Jones...he had THREE CATCHES over the ENTIRE preseason. The only things that were "bona fide" and "unmistakable" was his lack of impact vs marginal players.

#

Robert Nkemdiche has ONE tackle in SIX games as a pro. Despite this, you say "he is going to be an indomitable force". I am hopeful for his future, but he has shown nothing that make sit more than hope.

#

Daniel Munyer has "got the feet to be very good"? This is his third year, in on his 2nd team, he has played 1 game, and is still able to be kept on a practice squad. All of this during a time where teams are desperate for offensive linemen. We might have different definitions of what "very good" means, but mine is that very good is better than average. Daniel Munyer has yet to show that he can even be that, and I am not even going to start to try and figure out how you have effectively evaluated his feet.

#

I get that you are trying to create content, but you might as well title this absurd speculation. If you are trying to dive into mainstream sports writing, content like this hurts you more than helps. I like that it is well written, but as a sports fan, it is tough for me to take your overall work seriously when you put out content like this.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Well I'll put DJ, TJ & JJ as the most exciting choices. On defense Baker & Reddick show outstanding potential. I think Agudosi might be special in the red zone. Throw out the college numbers caused by incompetent coaching.

The maybes start with Gabbert. There's no doubt there's talent in him. Can BA transform it into production? If Palmer falters this year I'd like to see what Gabbert has playing with a real team. It should be cautioned this O-line could send him back to past failing tendencies.

Boehm is gritty enough to have a long solid career, but not likely Pro Bowl level.

Like in his rookie season, Golden has had trouble closing the deal this season. With CC gone, the pocket is not being collapsed. He was also being double teamed. Now Golden is on his own. Can he still produce? BTW, Jones is now getting all those double teams and still producing. This is where Nkemdiche comes in. I like Mitch's enthusiasm. I hope he's right. If so Golden should move forward.

I think Wetzel is a career backup. Seals-Jones is a project. The Cards don't have a great TE on the playing roster and he couldn't crack it.

I think Ford's top is special teams, maybe he could be a good gunner.

Not sure Buc gets re-signed. At his price, he's replaceable. Oddly Humphries isn't on the list. Like several of these guys he shows potential. Not sure he loves the game. We'll see. Nice overview Mitch.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Normally, I try and stay away from these, but some of this is absurd...

Re: Gabbert. Gabbert has a career completion percentage of 56%, has thrown for 7351 yards over his six year career, and has a 1:1 TD to INT ratio. He struggles to play confidently when pressured, and never shown the ability to handle the load of an NFL starter despite multiple chances. Yet, despite this data, you assert that being in Denver, Gabbert would be one of the best QBs in the NFL? How is that anything other than wild speculation based on no factual evidence at all. Come on.

#

Re: Carlos Agudosi. Again, lets look at stats...

Carlos Agudosi College Stats...35 catches, 513 yards, 2 tds - undrafted free agent
Mike Evans College Stats...151 catches, 2,499 yards, 17 tds - 7th pick in the draft
Kelvin Benjamin College Stats...84 catches, 1,506 yards, 19 tds - 28th pick in the draft

I get that they have similar body types, but your assertion that "Look at what issues WRs like Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin are presenting to NFL defenses. The Cardinals have one of their own in Agudosi if they can develop him." is extremely far fetched. There is no point of data that Agudosi has any type of potential to be anything like Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin other than body size. You are essentially stating that any 6'6 220 person who can run a 4.6 40 has potential to be a top 50 WR in the NFL if a team can develop them.

#

Re: Ricky Seals-Jones...he had THREE CATCHES over the ENTIRE preseason. The only things that were "bona fide" and "unmistakable" was his lack of impact vs marginal players.

#

Robert Nkemdiche has ONE tackle in SIX games as a pro. Despite this, you say "he is going to be an indomitable force". I am hopeful for his future, but he has shown nothing that make sit more than hope.

#

Daniel Munyer has "got the feet to be very good"? This is his third year, in on his 2nd team, he has played 1 game, and is still able to be kept on a practice squad. All of this during a time where teams are desperate for offensive linemen. We might have different definitions of what "very good" means, but mine is that very good is better than average. Daniel Munyer has yet to show that he can even be that, and I am not even going to start to try and figure out how you have effectively evaluated his feet.

#

I get that you are trying to create content, but you might as well title this absurd speculation. If you are trying to dive into mainstream sports writing, content like this hurts you more than helps. I like that it is well written, but as a sports fan, it is tough for me to take your overall work seriously when you put out content like this.

I will always write from the heart and not to appease a certain audience. These are young Cardinals I am excited about. Not all of them will pan out, but some of the Cinderellas here actually might. That's the fun of watching new players, especially the ones no one thinks has a chance.

I fully understand all of your points (very well documented) and if they bode directly into the players' potential in the NFL, then you are correct and I am sadly wrong. I maybe naively at times feel that young players can be developed as they mature into men. The Cardinals obviously see something in these players or they wouldn't be on the roster or PS. Take Ricky Seals-Jones, for example. Antonio Gates was a college basketball player who had to be developed into an NFL player. When I look at Seals-Jones, I see the type of athlete who could be developed. I personally don't think it is "absurd" to think that. The likelihood of any young, inexperienced TE of being able to even hold Gates' jock is extremely thin. I get that. But, maybe Seals-Jones can develop into a situational #3 TE, like Darren Fells was. And Fells gave us some good efforts.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Nice pen, very good read with solid justification across the board.

Mitch, your growth as a writer improves daily. I see your stuff popping up on the RevOfBirds site for which I read daily. Congrats!

Thank you, CardNots. Glad to hear you are posting at ROTB. Seth Cox does a good job. It has evolved into a very good site.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Well I'll put DJ, TJ & JJ as the most exciting choices. On defense Baker & Reddick show outstanding potential. I think Agudosi might be special in the red zone. Throw out the college numbers caused by incompetent coaching.

The maybes start with Gabbert. There's no doubt there's talent in him. Can BA transform it into production? If Palmer falters this year I'd like to see what Gabbert has playing with a real team. It should be cautioned this O-line could send him back to past failing tendencies.

Boehm is gritty enough to have a long solid career, but not likely Pro Bowl level.

Like in his rookie season, Golden has had trouble closing the deal this season. With CC gone, the pocket is not being collapsed. He was also being double teamed. Now Golden is on his own. Can he still produce? BTW, Jones is now getting all those double teams and still producing. This is where Nkemdiche comes in. I like Mitch's enthusiasm. I hope he's right. If so Golden should move forward.

I think Wetzel is a career backup. Seals-Jones is a project. The Cards don't have a great TE on the playing roster and he couldn't crack it.

I think Ford's top is special teams, maybe he could be a good gunner.

Not sure Buc gets re-signed. At his price, he's replaceable. Oddly Humphries isn't on the list. Like several of these guys he shows potential. Not sure he loves the game. We'll see. Nice overview Mitch.

Harry, you've been saying for a while that you think John Wetzel is just a career backup. I thought that as well until i saw him play LT the last two games of the season last year and he was superb in those games versus two of the best pass rushing teams in the NFL. Watching him again at LT in pre-season versus the Falcons' starters and versus the Colts (where he earned the 4th highest T grade of the week, per PFF) and gave up 0 sacks and 0 QB pressures in 40 pass attempts, I am all the more convinced he has what it takes. I especially like that he's a very good run blocker...we need that with David Johnson to build around.

I think Wetzel's most natural position is RT. But, I am impressed that he has shown some success at LT if needed there.

I know he struggled some versus the Lions. But, I do think BA was being truthful that because he was being groomed that week as Mike Iupati's backup (who was a gametime decision), I am not sure that he was give enough time to prepare for Ansuh and Zettel. I think if we play them again, he will do better.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
To your point Mitch and to Harry's, Wetzel is kind of a big question mark. What I believe limits him is I do not see him getting quicker in his sets and footwork nor do I see him getting significantly stronger vs a bull rush. Those two things make me feel that he is limited as a starting tackle in this league. However, Wetzel's technique looks pretty clean to me, so if he is able to improve in his athleticism and anchoring strength it may raise his ceiling as a player. Again, I'm not sure those are areas where players can significantly improve in, but my experience is limited in that area. My experience has been that technique is developmental but athleticism is what it is.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question about Gabbert and his potential as our QBOTF. Has there been a QB who failed with not one but 2 teams who finally latched onto a team and became a success? I can't think of any.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The most depressing thing about this thread is that if we are truly honest, we have to admit that John Wetzel is the best OT on our roster right now. Ugh.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Question about Gabbert and his potential as our QBOTF. Has there been a QB who failed with not one but 2 teams who finally latched onto a team and became a success? I can't think of any.

Bradford maybe?? Hard to say he has been considered a success...and his early career was marked by injuries... but he played better for minnesota than he had previously.

Rich Gannon sucked for four teams before he started lighting it up.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
To your point Mitch and to Harry's, Wetzel is kind of a big question mark. What I believe limits him is I do not see him getting quicker in his sets and footwork nor do I see him getting significantly stronger vs a bull rush. Those two things make me feel that he is limited as a starting tackle in this league. However, Wetzel's technique looks pretty clean to me, so if he is able to improve in his athleticism and anchoring strength it may raise his ceiling as a player. Again, I'm not sure those are areas where players can significantly improve in, but my experience is limited in that area. My experience has been that technique is developmental but athleticism is what it is.

I also am limited in judging OL talent, but one thing I have noticed is his hands seem slow off the snap. I have seen when he engages his hands are down around the stomach of the d-lineman. I am not sure if that is just bad technique, slow hands, or a repeated bad habit that has become part of his game. I got to say that overall I think we might have found a gem here. I would like to see him move to RT and put Mr. JV behind on the pine.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bradford maybe?? Hard to say he has been considered a success...and his early career was marked by injuries... but he played better for minnesota than he had previously.

Rich Gannon sucked for four teams before he started lighting it up.
Good call on Gannon. I totally forgot his short tenure in Washington. As for Bradford, the jury is still out on him. He's still yet to play for a playoff team and he's still hurt a lot.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Good call on Gannon. I totally forgot his short tenure in Washington. As for Bradford, the jury is still out on him. He's still yet to play for a playoff team and he's still hurt a lot.

methinks much of Gannons success had to do with finally being a part of a team that worked towards his strengths. I dont know if BA's offense works towards any qb's strengths

Reaction score
methinks much of Gannons success had to do with finally being a part of a team that worked towards his strengths. I dont know if BA's offense works towards any qb's strengths

It seemed to work with Manning, Big Ben, & Luck.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It seemed to work with Manning, Big Ben, & Luck.

BA has primarily found QB's that he can plug into his system.... not had a system that plays towards a guys strengths.

the mentioned example,...Rich Gannon... would have absolutely sucked in BA's system.

I grew up a Raiders fan and BA essentially runs the same offense that the Raiders ran up until they hired John Gruden. It can be very exciting...or very disappointing.
the athleticism of modern pass rushers makes it difficult to sustain this type of offense as there are not enough quality OT's to consistently provide good pass protection. O-linemen usually specialize(not intentionally) in run or pass blocking and this type of offense requires a strong run threat in order to be fully effective. The o-line is critical and there just are not enough guys out there who can do the job for this type of offense. This is likely why BA has shown a tendency towards larger QB's because in his offense they are going to take lots of hits and most little guys just would not hold up.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Jim Plunkett struggled early in his career playing for some bad Pats teams, didn't do a lot at his next stop (mediocre Niners teams), then blossomed w/the Raiders. Also, Len Dawson (a HOFer) did virtually nothing in stops w/Pittsburgh & Cleveland before busting-out in a big way in the AFL.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jim Plunkett struggled early in his career playing for some bad Pats teams, didn't do a lot at his next stop (mediocre Niners teams), then blossomed w/the Raiders. Also, Len Dawson (a HOFer) did virtually nothing in stops w/Pittsburgh & Cleveland before busting-out in a big way in the AFL.
I'm still trying to figure out how Plunkett is not in the Hall of Fame. I believe he's the only multiple Super Bowl winner not in(not counting Payton Manning who isn't eligible yet).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn