You are the Suns GM, what do you do this offseason?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I would first see what teams would be interested in trading for Nash and then see what they have to offer. If it's a trade that will benefit the Suns in a big way, I would pull the trigger. If not, have Steve here for one more year. I would trade Barbosa.

I would tell Boris he will be the starter at the #3 spot and to hit the gym so he can be tougher and be able to play an entire season.

I would tell Shaq to stay in Arizona during the offseason and work with the trainers on his conditioning.

Finally, hire a head coach. My preference would be Carlisle(sp).

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Rent a hotel room and hang myself. There isn't much you can do with this team.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trade Amare for Ricky Davis and Jason Williams.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
First of all I wouldn't just let D'Antoni walk to appease fans. The latest Diaw Faux by the fans to hand the laziest player on earth the starting number 3 is exhibit A, and would be the most obvious backfire in Suns history.
If teams want D'Antoni then pay up, I don't care how something of value needs to exchange hands. I am not going to make my boss eat 8 million for some other team to poach my HC who happens to be considered top 5 easily.

I would listen to any offer for Diaw, he is a bad contract, fortunately for us he showed very well against a weak Finley, hopefully some team would be stupid enough to trade picks and an expiring contract to the suns for him.

I would ask for changes on the staff and be willing to sell Sarver on hiring a real defensive coordinator for Amare and Leandro and hell anyone else.

If Mike doesn't want to give at all then I would essentially fire Dan Dan, this would surely make D'Antoni quit and save Sarver 8 million. Hey it's my boss.

I would keep Barbosa, he is a mental midget but he is the only bench we have.

I would not trade Amare yet but I wouldn't rule it out, if the deal will yield us a sure fire pt guard of the future then I am all for it.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I say keep this team together except get rid of Diaw and/or Barbosa for picks and a competent PG. We'll still win a lot of games next year and once again get ousted from the playoffs but at least we won't stink. Barbosa does not make or break the Suns, and he has value. Trade him.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I would try and swing a sign and trade artest for barbosa with sacremento. We would become a lot better in the playoffs against tough competition like LAL, NOH, SAS.

Hire a coach like Rick Carlisle to at least attempt to shore up the defense of this team.

Resign giricek to some type of 2 year deal.

See if there is any type of backup PG to sign near the trade deadline.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
atleast, the very least...get rid of barbosa. sure he's a nice guy. but his contract is good. he sucks on D. he can't run an offense.

he makes our bench shorter come the playoffs(if we make it next season,lol). we've seen that come playoff time.

and sign GG.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the damage for '08-'09

Code:
O'Neal		$20.0M
Stoudemire	$15.1M
Nash		$12.3M
Diaw		$9.0M
Barbosa		$6.1M
Bell		$5,0M
Hill		$2.0M
Tucker		$1.0M
Strawberry	$0.7M

Total	$71.2M

Sarver tells me we cannot exceed $73M in payroll. So acquiring big-name FAs is out. I dont fire D'Antoni. We give it one final run in '08-'09 before the firesale of '09-'10 (also D'Antoni's final contract year).

There are no expiring contracts that end after the '08-'09 season, so trading for cap space isnt realistic next season. The fire sale is in '09-'10: Shaq for $20M, Bell for $5.25 and Nash's $13.1 team option that I will most certainly decline prior to that season.

I hope Hill exercises his player option. You wont find that kind of value out on the open market.

I resign Giricek.

I field all offers of youngish players for Amare and hope I can get 2-3 decent players with cap-friendly numbers. I'll have to work the trade machine and see what is out there.

I draft the best junior/senior college player available (Brandon Rush?) with Atlanta's pick (15).

Going into '10-'11, the only players under contract are Diaw (1 year + team option), Barbosa (1 year + team option), Tucker, 2008.1, 2008.2, 2009.1, 2009.2 (all cheap), plus whatever I get for Amare. This minimizes the pain.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Steve Kerr interviewed on Fox News (local in Arizona) with Jude LaCava. The essence of the interview was that Kerr thought D'Antoni was a good coach and the Suns would like to keep him if D'Antoni can compromise on some issues of how the team should be run. One thing mentioned was that Kerr wanted to bring on board a defensive coach among other things. D'Antoni was interviewed briefly as well and they have agreed to take a few days to discuss if they can agree on an adjusted philosophy going forward.

This all sound well and good about making some changes such as adding a defensive coach but it sounded like Kerr would be dictating the direction of the team going forward. I can only guess how D'Antoni feels about a rookie GM telling him what coaching philosophy he must use. My guess is not so good.

I'm thinking D'Antoni is longingly looking towards Toronto as BC did. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if D'Antoni asked to look elsewhere or BC gives Kerr a call for permission to talk to D'Antoni.

I wish I could find the video of the interview somewhere.

nowagimp

Reaction score
1) get a shoeshine kit to keep sarvers shoes shiny.

2) order plenty of orange blouses with shaq logos, and $ell them

3) $ell the #15 Atl pick for 5 mil, its gets you job security

4) hire a defensive coach and instruct him to feed the ball to amare so he can win a scoring title. that way it looks like the team has a great player, before the playoffs.

5) get rid of diaw and barbosa for expiring contracts, play DJ and tucker in their spots for a projected 12M/yr savings the following year.

6) sign GG for the vet min only if he fails to get another offer

7) Wait for nash and shaqs contracts to become expiring ones so you can trade them for young star players.

8) Try to convince Hill not to retire after DA leaves and play him as a cheap starter

9) save money and wait a few years until you can have picks in the 1st round and unload shaqs expiring contract the same year for big free agent signings.

10) blame the state of the team on Dantoni, and emphasize defensive stats by slowing the pace down to buy time with the fan base.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
Who I really want to keep.
Amare and Diaw

I wouldn't mind any of the rest being canned.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm GM for starters:

1. I keep D'Antoni at all costs. The Suns are not going to get a better coach.

2. Add a defensive coach which I cannot see D'Antoni resisting.

3. Trade a player (salary) for a pick to reduce salary so the Suns can sign FA PG Carlos Arroya or trade for PG like him.

4. Choose BPA in draft.

5. Keep role players in Giricek and Skinner. Also hope the Suns can keep Hill.

6. Listen to every legitimate trade offer that can improve the team.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
-Fire D'Antoni(i know big surprise)or like Treesquid said:trade him for picks:D
-Listen to ALL offers for Nash,Barbosa for picks/exp contracts(starting with Toronto, Golden State and maybe Portland.
-see where Diaw's value is at this point
-resign Giricek
-Keep Bell
-Coach Amare
-get Shaq's FT% up to 52.6
-hire stop-gap defensive HC with little or no previous experience.
Look at a 3 yr rebuilding plan.
BLOW IT UP.
Does anyone here really think that it's a given that the SUNS even make the playoffs next year with the current roster? I'm not so sure.
Target 2010-'11 to make a big splash in the free agent pool as well as a big hire at Head Coach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here really think that it's a given that the SUNS even make the playoffs next year with the current roster? I'm not so sure.
Target 2010-'11 to make a big splash in the free agent pool as well as a big hire at Head Coach.

I agree it's not a given, however, I do think it hinges on adding a quality younger PG. Then choose a player in the draft that exudes talent, probably a wing. This team needs some fresh legs.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here is the damage for '08-'09

Code:
O'Neal        $20.0M
Stoudemire    $15.1M
Nash        $12.3M
Diaw        $9.0M
Barbosa        $6.1M
Bell        $5,0M
Hill        $2.0M
Tucker        $1.0M
Strawberry    $0.7M

Total    $71.2M
Sarver tells me we cannot exceed $73M in payroll. So acquiring big-name FAs is out. I dont fire D'Antoni. We give it one final run in '08-'09 before the firesale of '09-'10 (also D'Antoni's final contract year).
Sarver has said he's willing to go over the tax a bit to make the team better - my guess is around $5mil. This was said post Shaq, pre Gordy and whether that still holds up is anyones guess.

There are no expiring contracts that end after the '08-'09 season, so trading for cap space isnt realistic next season. The fire sale is in '09-'10: Shaq for $20M, Bell for $5.25 and Nash's $13.1 team option that I will most certainly decline prior to that season.
In '09-'10, despite his contract, Shaq will actually be tradeable since he's an expiring contract. Heck, if he doesn't get a ring here I could see him being traded to the Fakers to retire there or even Orlando if they're in title contention.

It's highly doubtful the Suns would pick up Nash's option.

As much as I like Bell, I have a bad gut feeling he'll be traded. KT, Jones and Marion all defensive players traded by the Suns.

I hope Hill exercises his player option. You wont find that kind of value out on the open market.
He'll be back.

I resign Giricek.
I'm 50-50 on this.. He showed flashes of what he can do. He was active on defense and was probably the Suns best dribble penetrator at the end of the season. But, was the inconsistency Gordy or lack of PT from D'Ant??

I field all offers of youngish players for Amare and hope I can get 2-3 decent players with cap-friendly numbers. I'll have to work the trade machine and see what is out there.
You remove Amare you remove any chance for this team. Amare is the cornerstone to build the next team around; he's coming into his prime.

I draft the best junior/senior college player available (Brandon Rush?) with Atlanta's pick (15).
That's obvious. If Sarver were to sell that pick I really think there'd be a crazed mob at USAC waiting for him.

The Suns have potentially 9 players under contract for about $71mil so their options are extremely limited and they'll have to be very creative.

A few proposals....

• Contact the Hornets about trading for Janero Pargo.. Offer them Barbosa for Pargo and a 1st round pick. He has a player option for next season so an extension would need to be worked out - maybe $3-3.5/per. Though he's a bit short for a SG he could split time between Nash and Bell. The Hornets are under the cap and Barbosa would provide a better SG option than Mo Peterson.
  • Lordy, I'd love to get Antawn Jamison, but there's no way they can afford him.
  • Calderon (probably the #1 target) - Is he restricted or not? ESPN says restricted, but hoopshype doesn't show him having a contract for next season. Would he be worth trading the #15 pick for?? Young, experienced, solid PG vs a rookie??
Beyond that I'd call teams that are in similar position of not being able to get over the hump (Wash, Cleveland, Tor, GS, Dallas, etc) and see if any deals can be worked out. There are many teams that will be looking to improve and moving Diaw might actually be possible.

As for the coach... I like D'Ant, but he has his problems. If the differences can be worked out then give him one more year. Otherwise the only two I'm remotely interested in are Carlisle and Collins.

Carlisle has potential..

Collins is a great color commentator, but he's had plenty of opps in the NBA as a coach and hasn't done anything.

Avery??? who knows.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Unless Sarver tells me I can use full mid level exception and trade exception, I resign my position. First order of business- Fire coach Antoni. A real point guard is a must- I do everything possible to get a good, serviceable PG. I also look to sign Giricek and sign another big man to back up Amare and Shaq.

asudevil83

Reaction score
in a drunken stupor i propose this:

Nash/Diaw/Barbosa for Kidd/Howard/Bass

dont see it happening, but i could

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this team has the opportunity to add three keys pieces this summer... an 8 million dollar player (trade exception), a 6 million dollar player (MLE) and a relatively good first round draft pick. My guess is we get none of the above.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
this team has the opportunity to add three keys pieces this summer... an 8 million dollar player (trade exception), a 6 million dollar player (MLE) and a relatively good first round draft pick. My guess is we get none of the above.
Your guess is probably right. How many TE's has Sarver used of the ones he's received?

Although ATL has a problem with Smith and Childress (both RFA's), so maybe a deal can be worked out to send Boris back to them.. :biglaugh:

asudevil83

Reaction score
Your guess is probably right. How many TE's has Sarver used of the ones he's received?

Although ATL has a problem with Smith and Childress (both RFA's), so maybe a deal can be worked out to send Boris back to them.. :biglaugh:

not in a millon. Smith is going to command WAY more than either Boris or our TE's value. MAYBE childress, but that would involve giving them their pick back, unless its Barbosa for Childress.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
1.) Talk to DA and see he can agree on getting a defensive mind assistant coach in and start working on that area. If he doesn't promise it, time to let him go. BTW, all other coaches really suck at this point (Avery? JVG? Cmon now).

2.) Evaluate where Nash is at in his career. See if he wants one more go at it or want to be traded. Promise him to cut his minutes to 25-30 and have a backup for him.

3.) Draft a PG for #15.

4.) If 3 doesn't work out, look to trade Diaw plus picks for one of Toronto's PG's.

5.) Take Amare and LB to a defensive camp of some sorts. Take new assistant to teach them things they obviously lack. Amare said he'll be willing.

6.) Resign Gears so he can help backup Hill. Look to Tucker as well.

7.) Above all, I think it's important to keep this core together. They have some great talent on here but just lacking a certain chemistry and mental toughness that comes with being a veteran team. That takes time and don't think it will happen if we blow it up or get a new coach in.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
4.) If 3 doesn't work out, look to trade Diaw plus picks for one of Toronto's PG's.
Unfortunately, it's not as easy as just trading Diaw. TJ Ford is close to Diaw's contract, but would you honestly trade them straight up?? Toronto would probably love that, but Ford is way undersized and over paid. TOR doesn't want TJ, but are stuck with him as much as the Suns are stuck w/ Diaw.

7.) Above all, I think it's important to keep this core together. They have some great talent on here but just lacking a certain chemistry and mental toughness that comes with being a veteran team. That takes time and don't think it will happen if we blow it up or get a new coach in.
Sans Shaq, the group will have been together long enough to develop mental toughness. If the squad on the floor isn't mentally tough enough to know what to do then the coach needs to step in and tell them what to do. D'Ant didn't do this and relied too much on Nash to make the decisions, which in turn burned Nash out.

At least Nash will have plenty of time to rest.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player